seamless roaming with access points

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

seamless roaming with access points

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
18 Reply
Re:seamless roaming with access points
2020-11-30 09:21:39
Hi @Fae, I may have another question, I searched the community for few days but found no info about it. I'm also using one Netgear Nighthawk R7000-100PES AC1900 WLAN Router with firmware modified by ExpressVPN to have a parallel network under a specific VPN, of course with different SSID. I see that Omada software has a VPN section, I'm just wondering if there is a way to setup another SSID with a VPN covering the full area (so going through all the access point). Not vital of course, I would just eliminate one piece of hardware on the middle of the living room! Any idea? thank you!
Options
2020-12-02 03:17:14

Dear @antnas,

I see that Omada software has a VPN section, I'm just wondering if there is a way to setup another SSID with a VPN covering the full area (so going through all the access point). Not vital of course, I would just eliminate one piece of hardware on the middle of the living room! Any idea?

Sorry that I don't understand what you mean by setting up another SSID with a VPN.

The VPN function on the Omada Software Controller is for Omada Routers instead of for Omada EAPs.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2020-12-02 06:59:03

@Fae got it, thank you!

Options
2021-05-16 21:27:59

@antnas 

Hi:

Sorry to dig up an old post but i've been having roaming problems and this thread may lead me to my solution.  I have 3 EAP-225's and OC-200, and from day 1, my AP's seem to only work as individual APs.  I'm pretty confident I have all the "basic" stuff covered, like same SSID, advanced features enable so fast roaming enabled, mesh enabled.

On another post, someone suggested enabling load balancing to set the RSSI to drop clingy devices but that post seemed geared more for performance.

Anyway, the one thing that caught my attention on this thread was the mention of the topology.  Initially, I wasn't paying attention to what my topology shows but something does look off so I'd like to get feedback.  Here's what my topology looks like:

AP-A (blue bubble #1)  <------------------------ Client Group (blue bubble #1)

AP-B (blue bubble #1)  <------------------------ Client Group (blue bubble #1)

AP-C (blue bubble #2)  <------------------------ Client Group (blue bubble #2).

I don't understand what the "Client Group" are.  Does the Client Group have anything to do with the WLAN groups?  I do have the AP's in different WLAN's but that doesn't make sense either.  I have AP-B in its own WLAN group and AP-A & AP-C together in another.

Please help.

Thanks,

magic_tp

Options
2021-05-20 15:37:43

In my setup, it looks absolutely the same. I also don't have an idea how to configure the client groups. And all Accesspoints look completely isolated from each other but I see no option how to change this (they have the same WLAN group "default" and are on the same IP subnet though but the topology map doesn't respect that). Maybe it is only possible if you also have a Omada Switch/Internet gateway but that would be very weird...

Options
2021-05-21 11:50:15

Dear @Premiumuser,

Premiumuser wrote

In my setup, it looks absolutely the same. I also don't have an idea how to configure the client groups. And all Accesspoints look completely isolated from each other but I see no option how to change this (they have the same WLAN group "default" and are on the same IP subnet though but the topology map doesn't respect that). Maybe it is only possible if you also have a Omada Switch/Internet gateway but that would be very weird...

Do you mean the client group icon on Omada Controller v4 under the Map -> Topology?

I'm afraid that we can only click the client group icon to view clients connected to the same device.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2021-05-21 11:54:56

Dear @magic_tp,

magic_tp wrote

I don't understand what the "Client Group" are.  Does the Client Group have anything to do with the WLAN groups?  I do have the AP's in different WLAN's but that doesn't make sense either.  I have AP-B in its own WLAN group and AP-A & AP-C together in another.

As I mentioned above, the Client Group under Map -> Topology is only an icon that we can click to view all the clients connected to the same device. It has nothing to do with the WLAN Groups. 

The WLAN Group function allows us to preset groups of SSIDs with desired wireless parameters and quickly apply them to the desired EAPs. So we can apply different WLAN Groups to different EAPs or one WLAN Group to all EAPs according to our demand.

Options
2021-10-06 20:17:01

@magic_tp 

I have the exact same problem and also having problems with roaming, I've asked tp-link and they told me that it wouldn´t work with a wired network, does any one have achived it?

Options