EAP225 Setup - Other Devices Cannot Connect To Internet

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-10-08 01:32:59
Model: EAP225  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello everyone, I purchased a EAP225 and tried installing it today, all seemed to work well and I connected my main computer to the EAP225 fine and had internet. So I assume I ran most of the steps correctly. My router/modem is a CGN3 Hitron

However no other devices were able to get internet from the device - I went through the troubleshooting link here https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/428/, and the IP address when running IPCONFIG would be 169.254.xxx.xxx for the other devices

So I would try to renew lease with the iphone, but it would constantly return back 169.254.xxx.xxx. Couldn't even run ipconfig -renew on the other computer, it just kept failing constantly with "unable to contact DHCP server"

Would setting up static IP/DNS for all the devices look like a good solution for my issue? If anyone could point me to a resource for that, it'd be appreciated (i have never doen any networking before). I also thought about getting a C7 or C9 router instead if that's the issue.

Options
5 Reply
Re:EAP225 Setup - Other Devices Cannot Connect To Internet
2020-10-08 12:08:27

Hi @mzez,

Your docsis modem / router also has built in Wifi.  What was your reason for buying the EAP225?  Note that the EAP225 is not a router, it is only a wireless access point -- so it relies on your existing router for client DHCP assignements.

Some general questions:

1) Did you turn off the existing wifi on your router first, before deploying the EAP225?

2) Is the EAP225 connected via Ethernet to your existing router?

3) Are you using the included power injector with the EAP225?

Assuming items 1-3 are good, the most likely explanation is the DHCP configuration on your router.  You might need to go into it's web management interface and increase the size of your DHCP pool.

The other possibility is that if your EAP225 has not properly leased an IP from the router, itself, it may not be communicating with the router subnet in which case client DHCP lookups will not be able to get to the router to get an IP.

Using static IP's for things could be a temporarily work around, but it is not really the best solution.  It would be best to troubleshoot why client DHCP lease requests are failing.

-Jonathan

Options
2020-10-09 08:36:54 - last edited 2020-10-09 08:37:38

mzez wrote

So I would try to renew lease with the iphone, but it would constantly return back 169.254.xxx.xxx.

169.254.0.0/16 are IPs reserved for use by ZeroConf. If your device sets an IP from this IP range, then either the DHCP server isn't running or the DHCP address pool has been exhausted. Check your DHCP settings on the Hitron router.

Would setting up static IP/DNS for all the devices look like a good solution for my issue?

Not for all devices. But for stationary devices such as EAPs, servers, switches and immovable PCs you should prefer static IPs, while for mobile devices you should assign IPs dynamically using DHCP.

Note that in small networks/home networks you can use static MAC-to-IP mappings in the DHCP server to achieve a static IP for a stationary device. To be precise, it is actually not a static IP, but a fixed IP reserved in the DHCP sever for a specific device identified by its MAC address. Such fixed IPs do not need to be taken from the DHCP server's pool of dynamic IP addresses.

This method to set a fixed IP has two advantages over setting a static IP on the device itself (e.g. using ipconfig on a PC): first, you can manage fixed IPs in a central place on your router and secondly you can assign this fixed IP a DNS name on most routers, so you can reach the device by name in addition to its IP. The disadvantage is that you still use the DHCP protocol to set a fixed (»static«) IP.

Again, see the DHCP settings in your Hitron router and look for MAC/IP mappings in the DHCP section.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2020-10-09 09:04:29 - last edited 2020-10-09 09:04:44

Dear @mzez,

Hello everyone, I purchased a EAP225 and tried installing it today, all seemed to work well and I connected my main computer to the EAP225 fine and had internet. 

What IP address is obtained on your main computer for accessing the Internet?

If the IP address is public, then you need a router to share the Internet with other devices. As @JSchnee21 mentioned, the EAP225 is just a wireless access point, it cannot work as a router. Please set your CGN3 Hitron modem/router as Router mode, then the other devices should be able to connect to Internet. If you don't know how to do it, it's suggested to contact your Hitron support for assistance.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2020-10-09 09:22:33

@R1D2 

I use mac-ip reservation exactly as you've described on my the router I get from my ISP...

But I cannot find any option on my home network router (Aztech DSL5068EN-1T1R) where I can assign an friendly name to the ip address - is it normally assigned when you reserve the address?

I also had a look on my other router TP Link W841 where I also use MAC-IP address reservation... but no friendly name option there either!

However the TPLink router also has ARP binding... MAC to IP - When would you use that?

Options
2020-10-09 11:10:04

Bebe1980 wrote

However the TPLink router also has ARP binding... MAC to IP - When would you use that?

You would use that to mitigate against ARP cheating / ARP spoofing attacks. See this recent thread why such a mitigation can be useful.

As for naming devices in MAC-to-IP mappings it can be done in almost all devices which use either dnsmasq or ISC DHCP as the DHCP server, that's for example all OpenWrt-based routers.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1504

Replies: 5

Related Articles