EAP245 in the home issues

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-10-10 18:21:24
Model: EAP245  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi i have just added an EAP245 to use in my loft as an access point 'to replace another access point', i set the SSID and passwords as the same as my networks router, i have disabled the 2.4ghz as the router is only configured to 5ghz. I have 2 Nest outdoor cameras which are not connecting to it, seeing as the SSID and passwords are the same i would have thought that they should connect no problem. Any help would be much appreciated on this. 

Options
2 Reply
Re:EAP245 in the home issues
2020-10-12 12:33:20

Dear @JUSTO74 ,

i have just added an EAP245 to use in my loft as an access point 'to replace another access point', i set the SSID and passwords as the same as my networks router, i have disabled the 2.4ghz as the router is only configured to 5ghz. I have 2 Nest outdoor cameras which are not connecting to it, seeing as the SSID and passwords are the same i would have thought that they should connect no problem. 

Is the EAP245 connected to the router via Ethernet cable?  If you power off the EAP, are you able to get internet access from the router WiFi? 

Here is a post about common questions about TP-Link EAP device when it’s used in home network:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/228718

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
Re:EAP245 in the home issues
2020-10-14 22:23:02

Hi @JUSTO74,

Have you made any headway on this?  One item of note, the EAP225/245 have a fairly conical downward facing radiation pattern (if ceiling mounted).  Where are your Nest cams located?  I have several Nest cams I have used wih my EAP225/245's and haven't had any issues.  I will say my Nest Door Bell cam has a really poor 5.8GHz antenna.  Since I've switched it to use 2.4GHz it's worked perfectly.

If, for example, you replaced a more tradition home router type AP, these typically have more of a "flat wide radiation pattern."

FYI, the 2.4 GHz radio has plenty of BW for multuple Nest cams.  If you have older / non IQ cams or cams outside, I'd recommend using the 2.4 GHz radio for them instead.

-Jonathan

Options