N/A Gateway from OMADA SDN DashBoard / NO Gateway in All Client Device Properties

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

N/A Gateway from OMADA SDN DashBoard / NO Gateway in All Client Device Properties

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-10-12 15:07:17 - last edited 2020-10-15 03:22:59
Model: OC200  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: 1.7.0 Build 20200703 Rel.59609

I have a concern related to all Client devices under my hotspot using OMADA SDN OC200 Controller and Outdoor EAP225. From the Below picture, I noticed no gateway specified on each device where I understand N/A Gateway from the dashboard of my omada account is particular for hardware compatible gateway on very few available models only.

My question is since I'm using a gaming router ASUS RT-AX88U connected to the SG-TL1008MP 8 POE Port switch, all my client properties don't have the gateway. I noticed gateway from my gaming home router don't have a specific gateway define (key in) as per the attached screenshot. Is the gateway from my router directly related to the properties of clients in the Omada environment? I have also attached a screenshot of my dhcp gateway router field. I understand default gateway of router is the main Ip address of router. doing ipconfig/ all  shows me my default gateway and dhcp server  is the IP of my router which is 192.168.50.1 on this scenario.

Please advise.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:N/A Gateway from OMADA SDN DashBoard / NO Gateway in All Client Device Properties-Solution
2020-10-13 23:02:10 - last edited 2020-10-15 03:22:59

Hi JhonneL,

I don't want to sound harsh, but if you don't believe me, then please at least RTFM (Read The Fine Manual):

Again: Ignore any function which shows the warning message »Gateway required« if you don't have an Omada Gateway.

You cannot use all those nifty functions such as setting a fixed IP address for a client through SDN Controller if the SDN Controller does not manage an Omada Gateway. And no, Asus routers will almost certainly never be supported as an Omada Gateway. The message is not related to your client device or to a default gateway setting on the Asus router, it is related to the »Use Fixed IP Address« setting of this particular configuration menu.

Omada SDN Controller does not interfere with the data flow between clients and the router, it does not interfere with any services such as DHCP, DNS etc. It even does not notice that kind of traffic, it just does not see any traffic flowing between a client and a router. It collects only data from Omada devices to learn about clients and their usage, nothing else.

It's not that difficult to understand: every network needs 1) a router, 2) a DHCP server and 3) a DNS server at least. Most home routers are all-in-one devices, thus the Asus router provides all those services and it is fully functional for your home network.

Omada Controller does only see messages directed from Omada EAPs, Omada switches and Omada gateways to the controller and it does not even care about any settings or the traffic of your DHCP server, DNS server or the Asus router.

If you want to set a fixed IP for your Galaxy client device, manually define this IP in the Galaxy itself (if possible at all). You cannot define its IP through the SDN Controller unless you have a full SDN network (Omada SDN router, Omada SDN switches, Omada SDN EAPs). This is what SDN is all about: a completely SDN-enabled network. Using any other non-SDN enabled router or non-SDN enabled switch is no problem at all, but those devices cannot be managed by the Omada SDN controller.

Hope this helps to understand the concept of an Omada SDN Controller better.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Recommended Solution
Options
10 Reply
Re:N/A Gateway from OMADA SDN DashBoard / NO Gateway in All Client Device Properties
2020-10-13 09:44:27

@JhonneL, you need to set the gateway in DHCP settings of your Asus router.

You can ignore all references to a gateway in Omada Controller as long as you don't have an Omada gateway being managed by the controller.

I did suggest to TP-Link to hide all menus and pages of a gateway/switch if no Omada gateway / Omada switch is available for adoption.

It can be very confusing when pages show »Gateway required«. The message just means that functions on this page can't be used unless you connect an Omada gateway. IMO such pages should not appear at all if there is no Omada gateway present in the network.

Options
Re:N/A Gateway from OMADA SDN DashBoard / NO Gateway in All Client Device Properties
2020-10-13 15:09:32

@R1D2 I will try to add manually the Default gateway to my gaming router (although my internet and network working well) let's see if the gateway will be updated as well on the client's connected devices :) I will keep you posted on the result. Hopefully, the gateway mentioned from devices on EAP225 Omada systems is not dependent on gateway devices needed to integrate or add in my small hotspot network environment.

I'm just curious if the default gateway is can make diff on the client devices where there's no issue or their internet and working well even no define gateway on my gaming router (I understand the IP address of the router is the same gateway and DHCP server running well with my default configuration from router side and EAP, what is your thought on my curiosity? 

kindly advise and ap

R1D2 wrote

@JhonneL, you need to set the gateway in DHCP settings of your Asus router.

You can ignore all references to a gateway in Omada Controller as long as you don't have an Omada gateway being managed by the controller.

I did suggest to TP-Link to hide all menus and pages of a gateway/switch if no Omada gateway / Omada switch is available for adoption.

It can be very confusing when pages show »Gateway required«. The message just means that functions on this page can't be used unless you connect an Omada gateway. IMO such pages should not appear at all if there is no Omada gateway present in the network.

preciate it.

Options
2020-10-13 15:34:31

Hi JhonneL,

every device always needs to know the default gateway, else routing to unknown hosts (= Internet) will not work.

Adding the gateway manually on a device is the correct way and required for devices which use static IP addresses.

Adding the gateway to the DHCP server is required to enable the DHCP server telling clients what the gateway is.

Thus, yes, you should set the default gateway in the DHCP settings of your Asus router and since the Asus is also the router, you just define its IP address as the default gateway as well as the DNS server since the router also resolves domain names.

Hope this helps.

Options
2020-10-13 18:47:33
I did a manual key in the Default Gateway for my Asus Gaming Router as feedback to inform and discover the OMADA SDN systems not accepting Gateway settings from external I believe non-known Router to their system. Since that client earlier reported still having a yellow-orange text GATEWAY Required Noticed on the properties of their devices. Steps DOne. 1. DO assignment of Default IP Gateway to Router and restart. 2. Restart Omada Controller and all EAP225outdoor. 3. CHecked all clients in pending status and authorized all of them having the same remarks "GATEWAY REQUIRED" in yellow-orange text color. This is only to Share me actual scenario. WHere I believe that remarks on client device will only removed if we have a tplink compatible hardware installed in my network with Omada SDN OC200 Controller / SG-TL10008MP switch and 13 EAP225 Outdoor. Hope this post can be answered by the team and developer and advise if there some fix or update related to remarks of gateway. Many THanks.
Options
2020-10-13 21:32:38

not trying to mock/offend anyone, but I feel that TP-Link should put a label on their enterprise product saying "require at least a Cisco CCENT certification before purchasing" when I see quetions like this...

Options
Re:N/A Gateway from OMADA SDN DashBoard / NO Gateway in All Client Device Properties-Solution
2020-10-13 23:02:10 - last edited 2020-10-15 03:22:59

Hi JhonneL,

I don't want to sound harsh, but if you don't believe me, then please at least RTFM (Read The Fine Manual):

Again: Ignore any function which shows the warning message »Gateway required« if you don't have an Omada Gateway.

You cannot use all those nifty functions such as setting a fixed IP address for a client through SDN Controller if the SDN Controller does not manage an Omada Gateway. And no, Asus routers will almost certainly never be supported as an Omada Gateway. The message is not related to your client device or to a default gateway setting on the Asus router, it is related to the »Use Fixed IP Address« setting of this particular configuration menu.

Omada SDN Controller does not interfere with the data flow between clients and the router, it does not interfere with any services such as DHCP, DNS etc. It even does not notice that kind of traffic, it just does not see any traffic flowing between a client and a router. It collects only data from Omada devices to learn about clients and their usage, nothing else.

It's not that difficult to understand: every network needs 1) a router, 2) a DHCP server and 3) a DNS server at least. Most home routers are all-in-one devices, thus the Asus router provides all those services and it is fully functional for your home network.

Omada Controller does only see messages directed from Omada EAPs, Omada switches and Omada gateways to the controller and it does not even care about any settings or the traffic of your DHCP server, DNS server or the Asus router.

If you want to set a fixed IP for your Galaxy client device, manually define this IP in the Galaxy itself (if possible at all). You cannot define its IP through the SDN Controller unless you have a full SDN network (Omada SDN router, Omada SDN switches, Omada SDN EAPs). This is what SDN is all about: a completely SDN-enabled network. Using any other non-SDN enabled router or non-SDN enabled switch is no problem at all, but those devices cannot be managed by the Omada SDN controller.

Hope this helps to understand the concept of an Omada SDN Controller better.

Recommended Solution
Options
2020-10-14 14:03:09
Appreciate so much your passion and professionalism and quick answering my inquiries and concern. Its very clear and understand now the technicalities and functions of omada sdn,(sorry i haven’t read much the documentation) i scan read it quickly once. And other information you shared from your experienced and expertise I really greatly appreciate. Manu thanks for helping me on my posted concern and inquiries.
Options
2020-10-14 20:51:15

@JhonneL, you're welcome. Have fun with Omada SDN Controller!

Options
2021-05-18 20:53:37 - last edited 2021-05-18 20:53:58

I know this is an old thread but what if you do have a TP-Link TL-R605 and it still says N/A? Everything is working and it sees the router/switch/APs under devices. It just still says N/A for the gateway. The TL-R605 is an omada device.

Options
2021-05-18 21:03:04

Disregard. After performing a firmware update, it prompted me to run a speedtest and then displayed utilization. I thought it was like a ubiquiti system and showed the actual device under that heading.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3965

Replies: 10