cannot change subnet in LAN via controller page

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-10-14 19:59:54 - last edited 2020-12-31 09:13:45
Model: OC200  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: 1.7.0

on the tab settings > wired networks > LAN there is a subnet that probably cannot be changed?

it is 192.168.0.1/24, but i want it to be 192.168.2.1/24.

how can i change this?

also cannot do controller settings in settings via software, while being logged in as master administrator?

what went wrong?

please advice.

Walther from the Netherlands

with OC200 and 3 EAP225's connected and trying to see my new TL-R600 safestream

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:cannot change subnet in LAN via controller page-Solution
2020-10-15 06:48:54 - last edited 2020-10-16 03:03:50

Dear @walther,

on the tab settings > wired networks > LAN there is a subnet that probably cannot be changed?

how can i change this?

If your router is TL-R600VPN, then the Omada SDN controller cannot see it because TL-R600VPN doesn't support the SDN platform.

For the LAN IP address of the network, you could access the web management page of the TL-R600VPN router to change it. 

also cannot do controller settings in settings via software, while being logged in as master administrator? what went wrong?

Do you mean the greyed out "Controller Settings"?

Note that Settings has two parts: Site Settings and Controller Settings. There are several submenus under the two parts.

So Controller Settings includes the settings for Controller, Cloud Access, Maintenance, Migration and Auto Backup.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options
2020-10-15 11:10:03 - last edited 2020-10-16 03:03:17

walther wrote

but still have the question about changing the lan subnet which is visible under wired network on the OC200.

What's visible under »Wired Networks« is a default LAN. But unless yo have a SDN-capable gateway it is completely irrelevant to the actual setting of a non-SDN gateway (whatever model, even from different vendors).

also when creating new networks on the OC200, there's no option for interface or vlan, just one option : vlan

When Omada Controller manages a SDN-capable gateway, the »Create new LAN« menu changes dynamically.

It will allow to set the network IP range for a new network as well as let you change the existing default LAN settings:

Unless you have a SDN-capable gateway, the whole »Wired Network« settings are ignored by the Controller.

In case of TL-R600 you can set the network IP directly in the gateway, but not in SDN Controller.

In my opinion all menus and settings which are not applicable when no SDN gateway/switches are detected should be hidden. I already did suggest this to TP-Link R&D. Showing menus which are not applicable confuses users, so TP-Link should really consider this suggestion. It would also take away ballast from Omada Controllers which are intentionally used to only manage EAPs, but not switches and a gateway. Dear Fae, maybe you can add this suggestion again since you can see that those menus confuse so many users.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Recommended Solution
Options
19 Reply
Re:cannot change subnet in LAN via controller page
2020-10-14 23:02:31 - last edited 2020-10-15 06:31:17

Hi @walther,

Just confirming, is that model switch supported by the SDN software?  I'm not sure, but it doesn't look familiar from the lists that Fae had sent out previously.  Has new SDN compatible firmware for it been released / installed?  

I recently deployed a T1500G-8T v2.0 switch.  Prior to adopting in SDN, I performed the following via the Web management interface:

1) change admin password

2) upgrade firmware

3) configure management subnet (in my case I used DHCP)

4) Set NTP / Time zone details

Then from the SDN interface I was able to find and adopt the switch.  In SDN, I can set the management subnet.  And there are some other configuration details available (as well as traffic data).  But far fewer options are supported post adoption (via the SDN interface) then when the switch was locally managed.

-Jonathan

Options
2020-10-14 23:54:46 - last edited 2020-10-15 06:31:17

walther wrote

with OC200 and 3 EAP225's connected and trying to see my new TL-R600 safestream

Hello Walther, you need SDN-enabled TL-R605 SafeStream Gateway to be able to define a wired network in SDN Controller.

TL-R605 is still to be released soon, AFAIK not yet available in Europe.

Options
2020-10-15 06:48:54 - last edited 2020-10-16 03:03:50

Dear @walther,

how can i change this?

If your router is TL-R600VPN, then the Omada SDN controller cannot see it because TL-R600VPN doesn't support the SDN platform.

For the LAN IP address of the network, you could access the web management page of the TL-R600VPN router to change it. 

also cannot do controller settings in settings via software, while being logged in as master administrator? what went wrong?

Do you mean the greyed out "Controller Settings"?

Note that Settings has two parts: Site Settings and Controller Settings. There are several submenus under the two parts.

So Controller Settings includes the settings for Controller, Cloud Access, Maintenance, Migration and Auto Backup.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options
2020-10-15 09:02:43

@walther 

Fae,

thanks, now I understand that about the two menu's, controller and sites

but still have the question about changing the lan subnet which is visible under wired network on the OC200.

as I understand that the TL-R600 is not "talking"to the SDN controller of the OC200 ( to bad, bought the router very recently, because I couldn't wait for the 605!)

and on the 600 the subnet is 192.168.2.0 /24 ( took it from my old KPN modem, to make as less as changes as needed to make the 600 do his job).

also when creating new networks on the OC200, there's no option for interface or vlan, just one option : vlan

the ? explains that the the subnet cannot be deleted, but can be altered, but I do not find where to change it, I do not want to remove it.

thanks in advance.

Walther

Options
2020-10-15 11:10:03 - last edited 2020-10-16 03:03:17

walther wrote

What's visible under »Wired Networks« is a default LAN. But unless yo have a SDN-capable gateway it is completely irrelevant to the actual setting of a non-SDN gateway (whatever model, even from different vendors).

When Omada Controller manages a SDN-capable gateway, the »Create new LAN« menu changes dynamically.

It will allow to set the network IP range for a new network as well as let you change the existing default LAN settings:

Unless you have a SDN-capable gateway, the whole »Wired Network« settings are ignored by the Controller.

In case of TL-R600 you can set the network IP directly in the gateway, but not in SDN Controller.

In my opinion all menus and settings which are not applicable when no SDN gateway/switches are detected should be hidden. I already did suggest this to TP-Link R&D. Showing menus which are not applicable confuses users, so TP-Link should really consider this suggestion. It would also take away ballast from Omada Controllers which are intentionally used to only manage EAPs, but not switches and a gateway. Dear Fae, maybe you can add this suggestion again since you can see that those menus confuse so many users.

Recommended Solution
Options
2020-10-15 18:25:37

@walther OK, Thank you R1D2,

I understand now that I have to wait for the new 605 until I can make these changes,

hopefully will it be available in the Netherlands soon.

thanks everyone.

Options
2020-10-16 03:02:31 - last edited 2020-10-16 03:02:42

Dear @R1D2,

Dear Fae, maybe you can add this suggestion again since you can see that those menus confuse so many users.

Thank you for reminding me, I'll add this suggestion again. Many thanks for your generous advice and support here.

Options
2020-10-16 07:25:13 - last edited 2020-10-16 07:39:42

Walther, you're welcome. Now perhaps one question remains, I'll add this for completeness:

Why can one create a wired network at all and define a VLAN even if there is no SDN-capable gateway/switch?

Because when you use a Management VLAN you need to select the VLAN in the EAP device settings using a selection box (under »Services«):

This is the only use case for the »Wired Networks → LAN« menu when non-SDN gateways/switches are being used.

Would I have to decide about the user interface, I would have used a numerical input field as it appears in »Wireless Networks« when you map a SSID to a VLAN. Then, the »Wired Networks → LAN« page could be disabled completely as is the »Wired Networks → Internet« page.

What's more, having a numerical input field for VLANs in »Wireless Networks«, but a selection box in Management VLAN settings (which requires definition of a new network elsewhere) is an inconsistency, which can also confuse users.  But developers usually think differently than users and this is not necessarily always advantageous.

Options
2020-10-18 12:38:54

R1D2 wrote

This is handy to know, i couldn't find this documented anywhere, but i was about to ask the same question - how do i change it.

If this only applies to SDN gateways, then my question for this part is answered. 

I will be posting my own topic shortly, but this saves me a question.

Options
2020-11-09 21:02:33
While the network/subnet may not apply without the GW, the settings for the default LAN do apply to the default interface for SDN switches. For example, you cannot enable IGMP snooping on the default interface (or set Legal DHCP servers). To enable IGMP snooping you have to add another VLAN and set each port to use that vlan. it's just my opinion, but I would prefer having the ability to use IGMP on the default interface...
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 4807

Replies: 19