cannot change subnet in LAN via controller page

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

cannot change subnet in LAN via controller page

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
19 Reply
Re:cannot change subnet in LAN via controller page
2020-11-10 18:11:49
When the TL-R605 will be available in Europe? I’m waiting for that, is there a release date available from TP Link?
Options
2020-11-12 09:10:25

@Xstreem 

At the moment is availiable only through official distributors and for system integrators/resellers as far as I know and as it a SMB product.

Regards

Options
2020-11-14 17:32:04

Emitplink wrote

@Xstreem 

At the moment is availiable only through official distributors and for system integrators/resellers as far as I know and as it a SMB product.

Regards

@Emitplink  It is out now. Received my TL-R605 today

Options
2020-12-25 05:11:45

I just got the new TL-R605, and this caused me huge issues. The setting is not changable unless the gateway is provisioned, but a mismatch of subnets causes provisioning to fail because it attempts to provision the router with the wrong subnet. The provisioning fails, but the password is changed on the router and the subnet is wrong, necessitating a factory reset. I ended up solving this with a truly heinous hack:

I went to adopt the device, then while it showed as configuring, I went into Settings > Wired Networks > LAN. The LAN network, which was previously un-editable was now editable, so I fixed the values and saved. The provisioning failed again, and the router had switched to 192.168.0.1, so I reset the router to factory settings then logged in and reloaded my standalone settings. After doing that, I was able to provision the router with no further issues.

The engineers really need to fix this by making the subnet editable or by reading the current setting from the router when provisioning.
Options
2020-12-27 06:26:04

@BFH I found exactly the same. Any attempt to run controller and/or gateway on anything other than 192.168.0.X ended up in a failure to adopt the gateway and (usually) a requirement to factory reset the gateway and occasionally the controller. I tried several ways round this and wasted hours - in the end I gave up and have them on 192.168.0.X, which means the default LAN is also on that subnet. Top tip: don't connect the OC200 controller to a POE port on a (managed) Jetstream switch - give it its own POE supply so that it is continuously powered, at least during configuration, otherwise any reboots (and there will be several) will take at least twice as long, since the OC200 has a 3-4 minute reboot.

Options
2020-12-27 12:15:17

@penguintree Well, alright, it is possible (see below) to change the default subnet, but in my experience it's made extremely difficult if the controller is connected through a managed switch at the time, because as soon as the router's address has changed to the new subnet (and the switch hasn't caught up) the controller doesn't have a layer 3 route through the switch (I'm guessing) to the router and it can't finish the configuration for that reason - you end up with failed adoptions.

It does work, however, if you connect the controller directly to a LAN socket on the router, which is not the topology in the documentation. You can then, after successful adoption etc. of the switch, move the controller back on to an RJ45 socket on the managed switch. I think I'm happy with this now, but I still don't have a working OpenVPN Client setup on the router, which it is sold as being able to do - and it is rather crucial to me. Is there actual technical support available? I've invested hundreds in APs, switches and a router and many hours. I'd like to think there was actual support rather than just FAQs and this community forum.

Options
2020-12-27 14:50:04

@penguintree tech support is available, but it's pretty useless at the moment. They haven't properly trained their people.

And as I mentioned, it is possible to change the subnet before the router is fully adopted, but you have to do it in the liminal time while it is trying to configure the router. I had the layer 3 accessibility issues because my controller is in a docker container on an unraid server and I haven't figured out making a macvlan interface that uses dhcp to assign the address, so it has a self-assigned static IP.

My remaining issue is that I can't figure how to limit the download speed on the WAN and have it affect the entire network. I tried to set the port speed and it didn't seem to do anything. I need this because my paltry upload speed is causing latency when downloading at full speed.

Options
2021-07-10 16:26:04 - last edited 2021-07-11 00:42:01

@BFH 

Was this ever resolved? I gave up on using an OC200 previously because I had to use VLAN 1 and I didn't want to. 

I'm currently revisiting the OC200 with a TL-R605 and a T1500G PoE switch, all of which are SDN compatible, but still struggling when I change the default LAN from 192.168.0.1 to anything else. 

Particularly frustrating is my older SG1016 switches constantly reverting back to default IPs of 192.168.0.1, but I guess I can resolve that by setting them statically. But its causing headaches. 

BFH wrote

@penguintree tech support is available, but it's pretty useless at the moment. They haven't properly trained their people.

And as I mentioned, it is possible to change the subnet before the router is fully adopted, but you have to do it in the liminal time while it is trying to configure the router. I had the layer 3 accessibility issues because my controller is in a docker container on an unraid server and I haven't figured out making a macvlan interface that uses dhcp to assign the address, so it has a self-assigned static IP.

My remaining issue is that I can't figure how to limit the download speed on the WAN and have it affect the entire network. I tried to set the port speed and it didn't seem to do anything. I need this because my paltry upload speed is causing latency when downloading at full speed.

OC200, 2x SG-TL3428, T1500G-10MPS, 3x EAP225, Firewalla Gold (replaced ER-605)
Options
2021-07-14 02:49:43

Dear @CoKro,

CoKro wrote

@BFH 

Was this ever resolved? I gave up on using an OC200 previously because I had to use VLAN 1 and I didn't want to. 

BFH wrote

And as I mentioned, it is possible to change the subnet before the router is fully adopted, but you have to do it in the liminal time while it is trying to configure the router.

The Controller v4.4.3 allows modifying the LAN IP before adopting the Omada Gateway, mentioned here

FYI, the firmware of OC200 with v4.4.3 bundled will be released this month.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options