Omada SDN issues and feature requests
So i previously posted a question about some quirks i am facing and I'm not sure if they are software and SDN related or my switch configuration, for reference here is that post.
While i know some of the issues i am about to post are already known and due to be fixed in the next SDN revision, i'd like to point out some other issues, which may be a software issue. Some of these below are more suggestions as well.
For any where there are known fixes or it's my configuration, please let me know.
Do note, this is a clean install and no old configurations were imported, so this is completely clean.
- On the Dashboard, the tiles you can add are not movable, so everything stacks on top of each other to the left, leaving a lot of unused screen space on the right, being able to move these around and make better use of the screen would be nice.
- On the statistics page, if i select an AP i can see traffic in and out, but if i pick a switch (SG2428P), i only see clients and memory/cpu usage, but not traffic
- On the statistics page under switch statistics, the switch ports show mac addresses, not the name entered under the switch configuration, this makes it hard to easily identify the device. Also it shows the traffic in bps, why is this not in Mbytes like the APs traffic?
- Under devices, APs show their total traffic but the switch (SG2428P) is 0, until you refresh the page and it happens often where it's blank until you refresh, this happens on the all page or Gateway/Switches page.
- Under clients, my VMs hosted on ESXi do not show hostname or IP (further details in the linked post above) and they frequently show disconnected in the events page under logs, though they do not actually disconnect, the switch reports them as doing so, the ESXi host is connected to the switch with 2 pysical NICs.
- Under Insights, rogue APs, the nearest AP listed isn't linked correctly so clicking it results in an error, it looks like the word nearest is included in the hyperlink but shouldn't be.
- Also under insights, rogue APs, why do my own APs show here, even when adopted - shouldn't these be known APs once adopted by Omada?
Nice things to have
- Under devices and/or clients, it would be nice to be able to re-arrange the columns or resize them so you can get more on a page without having to scroll.
- Scheduled FW upgrades of connected devices, either by WLAN, Location or device type (I am aware there is no check update option at the moment), so the upgrades can happen at a quiet time based on business needs.
- The ability to not only do batch or automated FW upgrades, but staggered updates would be nice to avoid the whole WLAN or network being down during an upgrade - a switch can take down entire groups of devices if a reboot is required, so being able to schedule this would be very handy.
- The ability to configure where the auto backups go would be nice, especially if a hardware fault takes the whole Omada controller down, being able to get at the config from a CIFS share or FTP would be nice.
- The ability to create custom reports on AP, device, building, WLAN or SSID etc, things like traffic per week, per month etc.
- The ability to delete data from the logs, under events, either by AP, client, device, date range, log type etc.
Apologies this is long, but hopefully there are some options others would like to see too - this is aimed at businesses, so whatever management might ask for, we should be able to pull from the logs - if this should be done by an external log shipping box - no problem, would simply be nice within the application since the logs are already available to us.
Pie charts - another management favorite, by AP, by device, by traffic and so on, using item 5 this should be an addition.