Omada SDN issues and feature requests

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-10-19 18:07:52
Model: EAP245  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

So i previously posted a question about some quirks i am facing and I'm not sure if they are software and SDN related or my switch configuration, for reference here is that post.

https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/232630

While i know some of the issues i am about to post are already known and due to be fixed in the next SDN revision, i'd like to point out some other issues, which may be a software issue. Some of these below are more suggestions as well.

For any where there are known fixes or it's my configuration, please let me know.

Do note, this is a clean install and no old configurations were imported, so this is completely clean.

1. On the Dashboard, the tiles you can add are not movable, so everything stacks on top of each other to the left, leaving a lot of unused screen space on the right, being able to move these around and make better use of the screen would be nice.
  2. On the statistics page, if i select an AP i can see traffic in and out, but if i pick a switch (SG2428P), i only see clients and memory/cpu usage, but not traffic
  3. On the statistics page under switch statistics, the switch ports show mac addresses, not the name entered under the switch configuration, this makes it hard to easily identify the device. Also it shows the traffic in bps, why is this not in Mbytes like the APs traffic?
  4. Under devices, APs show their total traffic but the switch (SG2428P) is 0, until you refresh the page and it happens often where it's blank until you refresh, this happens on the all page or Gateway/Switches page.
  5. Under clients, my VMs hosted on ESXi do not show hostname or IP (further details in the linked post above) and they frequently show disconnected in the events page under logs, though they do not actually disconnect, the switch reports them as doing so, the ESXi host is connected to the switch with 2 pysical NICs.
  6. Under Insights, rogue APs, the nearest AP listed isn't linked correctly so clicking it results in an error, it looks like the word nearest is included in the hyperlink but shouldn't be.
  7. Also under insights, rogue APs, why do my own APs show here, even when adopted - shouldn't these be known APs once adopted by Omada?

Nice things to have

1. Under devices and/or clients, it would be nice to be able to re-arrange the columns or resize them so you can get more on a page without having to scroll.
  2. Scheduled FW upgrades of connected devices, either by WLAN, Location or device type (I am aware there is no check update option at the moment), so the upgrades can happen at a quiet time based on business needs.
  3. The ability to not only do batch or automated FW upgrades, but staggered updates would be nice to avoid the whole WLAN or network being down during an upgrade - a switch can take down entire groups of devices if a reboot is required, so being able to schedule this would be very handy.
  4. The ability to configure where the auto backups go would be nice, especially if a hardware fault takes the whole Omada controller down, being able to get at the config from a CIFS share or FTP would be nice.
  5. The ability to create custom reports on  AP, device, building, WLAN or SSID etc, things like traffic per week, per month etc.
  6. The ability to delete data from the logs, under events, either by AP, client, device, date range, log type etc. 

Apologies this is long, but hopefully there are some options others would like to see too - this is aimed at businesses, so whatever management might ask for, we should be able to pull from the logs - if this should be done by an external log shipping box - no problem, would simply be nice within the application since the logs are already available to us.

Pie charts - another management favorite, by AP, by device, by traffic and so on, using item 5 this should be an addition.

Options
7 Reply
Re:Omada SDN issues and feature requests
2020-10-21 08:45:17

Dear @Rod-IT,

Thank you for your generous suggestions. I've written these down for future evaluation.

7. Also under insights, rogue APs, why do my own APs show here, even when adopted - shouldn't these be known APs once adopted by Omada?

For the issue, did you try re-scan and check the Last Seen for the adopted APs?

In Rogue APs, we can scan rogue APs and view the rogue APs scanned before.

Please check whether the AP was seen as rogue AP before it's adopted.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2020-10-21 12:06:07

@Fae 

Hi Fae,

The scan happens periodically and the devices still show, i forced a scan and the SSIDs and AP mac still show for known, managed devices.

It seems like AP1 is seeing AP2 and vice versa - not a huge issue, but i would assume that if both APs are managed by Omada, it would exclude these from the rogue status, i do however agree if the status was unmanaged this would flag, but an unmanaged AP would not have the SSIDs i am using att hat point.

Probably a quirk, but this also happened in the previous Omada app.

I know they are mine so i can ignore the status, would be nice to be able to 'ignore' or 'whitelist' APs we trust or manage though if this is not automated

Options
2020-10-21 12:35:10 - last edited 2020-10-21 12:53:48

Hello Rod-IT,

I think the confusion might be caused by the terminology, namely the term »rogue APs«.

In my native language, the term »rogue AP« translates to »AP deployed by a villain / crook / bad guy / criminal«.

For me, the scan is just a WiFi survey and as such I actually want to see all my EAPs around and their signal strength, not only foreign APs.

In my opinion the definition of a »rogue AP« is really strange:

For me, neighboring APs are not »access points that have been installed on a secure network without explicit authorization from a system administrator«.

The air around is not my property, I can't allow or deny other people to deploy APs in the neighborhood.

You are right that a filter for the results would be helpful, for example I would like to hide all APs below a certain signal strength. A filter to hide all known/adopted EAPs might be useful for you, too. But IMO they should not be hidden by default.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2020-10-21 17:02:03

@R1D2 

Thanks again - i will agree that perhaps hiding known APs by default could also cause other confusion, so at least an option to hide/show known APs would be nice.

I also agree that an AP or Router broadcasting another B/SSID does not neccessarily mean it's on the same physical setup owned by the person or company running Omada, it's just traffic in the air.

Filtering by strength or being able to ignore based on a specific partial match, may also help, but should be customer choice.

I am just a home user so some of the suggestions are based on, if i was using this in a business, but even at home the choice would be nice.

Options
2020-10-27 12:22:01 - last edited 2020-10-27 12:22:35

Hi @Fae, Are you planning to add QoS for gaming as well? I know this feature is available in some other tplink wi-fi routers but it would be nice if we can add the same QoS feature as the deco. Thanks!

Options
2020-10-28 09:36:27 - last edited 2020-10-28 09:40:38

paparazz01 wrote

Hi @Fae, Are you planning to add QoS for gaming as well? I know this feature is available in some other tplink wi-fi routers but it would be nice if we can add the same QoS feature as the deco. Thanks!

Please don't mix consumer features into SMB products. In SMB APs we need QoS for VoIP and video which is present in Omada EAPs, especially in times where there is an increasing number of home offices for small and medium businesses.

If you need QoS for gaming, please consider buying the Deco system. That's why those different product lines exists at all.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2021-01-05 12:40:42

@Rod-IT Feature request from my side.

Lovely to have Homecare features integrated in Wired and Wireless connections. 

HomeCare:

• User Profiles

Easily create a profile for each family member and set custom time limits and online time allowances. Assign devices to profiles so rules extend to individual devices as well as family members.

• Filter Levels

• Time Limits

• Insights

And

• Rate Limits based on time?
Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 1279

Replies: 7

Related Articles