Question about how EAP225 works

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-01 17:55:37 - last edited 2020-11-02 13:32:43
Model: EAP225  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: ?

I think I need to ask about the way this device works.  It is giving me behavior that is outside of my experience.  I bought the EAP225 to extend wifi to our living room.  We have Verizon FIOS coming in through the eaves of the house, with their router upstairs, and we have ethernet cable connections throughout the house. 

I am replacing a TP-LINK Archer c9 router that predates the Verizon router... when we got the Verizon router, we set up the Archer as a wifi AP and switch, and it worked for a number of years that way.  It started giving us trouble recently, and it seemed to be related to the router side of the device....   So, we decided to switch to a dedicated Access Point. 

Installed the EAP225 yesterday, and it did not behave the way I expected.  I expected to set up Wifi access the way you would on a home router, with me assigning an SSID name, and a password.  It gave the illusion of letting me do that, but the SSIDs I created were not visible from my laptop or phone.  However, I saw two new SSIDs that were TP-LINK names, and they corresponded to the SSIDs on the back of the device.  They also allowed access without submitting a password of any sort, and I am worried that everyone in our neighborhood can use our wifi.

As I read up on the how APs are supposed to work, the descriptions seemed to be indicating that the AP should be adopting the identity of the Verizon router wifi upstairs.  So, as you move through the house from upstairs to downstairs, you really are just logging in on the upstairs wifi...  But why no password query?  I have tried making our laptops and phones forget the login, but it only seems to work for the Verizon router upstairs.

Thanks

epaulw

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Question about how EAP225 works-Solution
2020-11-02 06:54:58 - last edited 2020-11-02 13:32:43

Dear @epaulw,

The Omada EAP products are just wireless access points that turn a wired connection into a wireless connection.

However, I saw two new SSIDs that were TP-LINK names, and they corresponded to the SSIDs on the back of the device. They also allowed access without submitting a password of any sort, and I am worried that everyone in our neighborhood can use our wifi.

It seems that you haven't set up the EAP225 with a customized SSID and password yet. Here is a setup video for your reference.

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/download/eap225/#video

Note: Refer to the video <How to set up a TP-Link EAP via your mobile phone> or <How to Set up a TP-Link EAP via Web browser>

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:Question about how EAP225 works
2020-11-02 02:01:05

@epaulw It sounds like the changes you made to set the SSID and password on the APs were not saved.  You shouldn't see the default SSID after doing that during the initial setup.  If you go back in and add your SSID, also make sure you delete any of the defaults.  Once you have done that, you're clients will roam from one AP to another.  As far as your statement about the APs adopting the identity of the router's wifi, that's not correct.  There's nothing that is going to make that happen with a consumer all-in-one router.

Options
Re:Question about how EAP225 works-Solution
2020-11-02 06:54:58 - last edited 2020-11-02 13:32:43

Dear @epaulw,

The Omada EAP products are just wireless access points that turn a wired connection into a wireless connection.

However, I saw two new SSIDs that were TP-LINK names, and they corresponded to the SSIDs on the back of the device. They also allowed access without submitting a password of any sort, and I am worried that everyone in our neighborhood can use our wifi.

It seems that you haven't set up the EAP225 with a customized SSID and password yet. Here is a setup video for your reference.

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/download/eap225/#video

Note: Refer to the video <How to set up a TP-Link EAP via your mobile phone> or <How to Set up a TP-Link EAP via Web browser>

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options
2020-11-02 13:33:32

@fenix-silver 

Thanks.  You were correct, I had not finished setting up.

P

fenix-silver wrote

@epaulw It sounds like the changes you made to set the SSID and password on the APs were not saved.  You shouldn't see the default SSID after doing that during the initial setup.  If you go back in and add your SSID, also make sure you delete any of the defaults.  Once you have done that, you're clients will roam from one AP to another.  As far as your statement about the APs adopting the identity of the router's wifi, that's not correct.  There's nothing that is going to make that happen with a consumer all-in-one router.

Options
2020-11-02 13:36:03

@Fae 

Thanks very much.  Watched the one video, and realized I had skipped a step (default admin login).  It was actually one I would have done setting up a new router.

I went back, tried the admion login, and it reset the router for me from there.  Now everything is password protected and workign well.

Paul

Options
2020-11-03 01:55:44

@epaulw

Dear Paul,

Glad to hear that your concern was resolved. Your feedback is much appreciated!

Hope you enjoy the Internet and have a nice day!

Thanks very much.  Watched the one video, and realized I had skipped a step (default admin login).  It was actually one I would have done setting up a new router.

I went back, tried the admion login, and it reset the router for me from there.  Now everything is password protected and workign well.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 965

Replies: 5

Related Articles