What's the relationship with Ubiquiti and the Unifi Controller?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-03 05:36:59

Hi guys

So the topic seems to be touched upon but never really answered smiley

Is the Omada SDN controller a copy of Ubiquiti's Unifi Controller? Everyone can see they are an almost exact match - perhaps a license agreement between TP-Link and Ubiquiti exist? Or maybe the original software is open sourced and perfectly fine to for TP-Link to copy?

I'm asking because I could be worried that a lawsuit will suddenly render my network useless if I build it using the Omada SDN system.

I really like the Omada SDN controlled hardware - better than the Unifi products I must say for my use case. But I do worry about the software aspect and the potential legal implications.

Kind regards,

Henrik

Options
3 Reply
Re:What's the relationship with Ubiquiti and the Unifi Controller?
2020-11-04 21:09:07

@Henrik_TP I have been questioning TPLink on this too when I got my 1st OC200 controller for testing purposes????? It is almost identical???  To me Unifi dashboard is still much easier to navigate and looks much much slicker!  I am now seeing Cisco coming out with dashboard and no licensing for 25 or less......

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/cloud-systems-management/business-dashboard/index.html

I love it alot that some business will be building hardware hopefully much much better!!!

Options
2020-11-05 21:24:18 - last edited 2020-11-05 21:35:22

I believe it is quite possible that the same company in India developed the GUI for both products. TP-Link logic will be that if the code behind is different, then look and feel can be copied just like all cars look similar, all TVs and many other items have same look and feel.  There was a lawsuite few years ago between Apple and Samsung where Apple had claimed that Samsung and Andorid had used icons that were patented by Apple, but that did not hold water in court as scrutiny by third party revealed that code to achieve the same type of shapes / outlook was totally different.

TP link being bigger company revenue wise, they would have evaluated this move carefully. So nothing for us to worry about.

Options
2020-11-09 05:48:22

I have read many of the rumors on both Ubiquiti's and TP-Link's support sites and forums.

I just wish either company would comment on this and put the uncertainty to rest. Not answering these questions just fuels the rumor mill I'm afraid.

Thanks for answering guys wink

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2671

Replies: 3