Relationship between Force Disassociation and RSSI Threshold settings

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-06-05 12:51:24
Model: EAP245  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 5.0.3

As the title says, what is the relationship between these two settings?  Does Force Disassociation's "predefined threshold" come from the RSSI Threshold setting, or is it its own indepedent value?  If RSSI is not set, then does Force Disassociation work?

L.M. already asked this question in another thread but never received an answer: https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/204310

"Force-disassociation"
The OC200 dynamically monitors the link quality of every associated client. When the client’s current link quality drops below the predefined threshold and there are some other APs with better signal, the current AP issues an 11v roaming suggestion to the client.
With Force-disassociation disabled, the AP only issues a roaming suggestion, but whether to roam or not is determined by the client.
With Force-disassociation enabled, the AP not only issues a roaming suggestion but also disassociates the client after a while. Thus the client is supported to re-associate to a better AP. This function is recommended when there are sticky clients that don‘t roam.

^ I understand that and it is enabled, but the doc says about 'the predefined threshold’, so what is the level of this threshold? There is nothing more at the docs.

2) AP Load Balance

"RSSI Threshold”
Enable this function and enter the threshold of RSSI (Received Signal Strength Indication). When the clients' signal is weaker than the RSSI Threshold you've set, the clients will be disconnected from the EAP. 

I understand that feature (enabled and set for tests -70 level), but have two questions:

a) what happen when user will not have any more ap with better signal, and exceed the threshold set on the ap? will the oc200/ap disconnect the user?

b) is this function connected with the "Force-disassociation" feature? In other words, is it 'that' threshold which is being used by "Force-disassociation" feature?

If the "Force-disassociation" does not depends on "RSSI Threshold”, then which of them has a higher prio?

Options
2 Reply
Re:Relationship between Force Disassociation and RSSI Threshold settings
2022-06-06 16:17:19

@jrez 

Hey

To my knowledge these are not related and do operate as seperate things

Force Disconnect will basically force the roaming of a device to a new AP by 'kicking' the device from its current connection.   Say iphone is on AP1 with -75db and AP2 can offer it -50db..    The controller will tell the device its best to start roaming, some older devices perhaps dont support roaming  / or ignore this request thinking it knows better.  Therefore if this is enabled the controller will kick it off, cutting the connection for a few seconds to force it to re-connect on the better AP2

From the very few times i have seen this (really old devices) there is no deffinate -xxdb difference, its simply whenever the controller recommends a roam that the device doesnt respond too..  In short its no different / more aggressive than any other roam

The RSSI Threshold..  in answer to your questions.. 

A)  YES it will disconnect the user in a single AP setup, or ask for roam if available on a multi AP setup.   If you have a user that has -72db it will be kicked from the network should all available APs be outside the -70db threshold regardsless of roaming.  

B)   I cannot say with certain, but i do believe it would try to roam a device before it hits -70db (provided the other AP is better than -70).  Should the client not accept the roam, then force disconnect may be used to force this to reconnect.   This would obviously not be the case if all APs are higher than -70db, but in that case it would not have offered a roam option in the first place. 

There is no priority here.    Force disconnect will only happen if a roam is available and the client doesnt roam.    RSSI will kick any client that hits the limit of -70 in this case, but it would have tried to roam before that if possible.

Suppose technically RSSI would come first in most cases, but its not a priority as such

Options
Re:Relationship between Force Disassociation and RSSI Threshold settings
2022-06-07 06:54:26

@jrez 

first off, force-disassociation is the literal meaning. it forces your device to disconnect from the ap due to the signal strength falls below the pre-defined value which is not ideal for the device to use this signal source anymore. 

the pre-defined value is set by tp-link. it's the default. what does the tp-link think, it set the minus %vlaue% dbm. 

RSSI set by yourself if you can measure the 'unusable' network or 'slow enough and need to switch'. so basically, -70 is considered what to be worsening. 

to answer the question, 

1) i think you are gonna be disconnected. you are simply kicked from the ap due to your signal is 'unusable' or 'not enough'

why? > sometimes it is not a problem with the ap but people just say it's a trash wireless router/ap/extender. but nobody really considers they are RF products. you cannot beat the cellular signal. they are different but both rf. frequency explains something about the distance as well. if you wonder why low-frequency can travel further, please google. i don't know how to answer a physical concept better than a physicist from wiki.

2) i think they are interlinked from a reading of the manual. but never a guy from tp-link answered this. i came across this because when helping people set up, it seems to be greatly helpful  it's my guess. to debunk/demystify this, the requires the r&d engineer to explain this. their codes, they know if this is interlinked or not. 

ScReW yOu gUyS. I aM GOinG hoMe. —————————————————————— For heaven's sake, can you write and describe your issue based on plain fact, common logic and a methodologic approach? Appreciate it.
Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 3059

Replies: 2

Related Articles