One phisical port on multiple VLANs and profiles

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-06 17:28:46 - last edited 2020-12-03 10:20:19
Model: TL-SG2428P  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: latest

As per title, in Omada software how can I set one switch port to more than one VLAN ?

Also what it is not clear what is a profile when you go in Settings->Wired Networks->Profile ? I can't understand the Networks/VLANs settings...

This software is driving me crazy.

Thanks

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:One phisical port on multiple VLANs and profiles-Solution
2020-11-07 10:27:15 - last edited 2020-12-03 10:20:19

@Xstreem 

Is not a problem, in that case the router function are from the gateway with another subnet and your ISP modem just for the internet connection.

Regards

Recommended Solution
Options
2020-11-12 10:06:08 - last edited 2020-12-03 10:22:52

Dear @Xstreem,

As per title, in Omada software how can I set one switch port to more than one VLAN ? 

Also what it is not clear what is a profile when you go in Settings->Wired Networks->Profile ? I can't understand the Networks/VLANs settings...

I recommend you to read the UG of the Omada SDN Controller to learn more about the wired network settings.

Refer to chapter 4.3.2 Configure LAN Networks (Page 67-75) which could help to explain what we can do in Wired Networks ->Profile.

Besides, we can also click the symbol “?” at the top right corner on the settings page to get some clues, check the configuration example to better understand how to configure VLAN.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options
13 Reply
Re:One phisical port on multiple VLANs and profiles
2020-11-06 21:10:27

@Xstreem 

You have to use the Omada SDN gateway like TL-R605 in order to create L2 vlan or L3 interface and propagate them on switch ports.

Regards

Options
2020-11-06 21:15:50 - last edited 2020-11-06 21:17:41

@Emitplink thanks for the answer, but i have a question I already have a modem/router from my isp that is a very limited devices in terms of functionalities. I was thinking to buy a TL-605R but i have doubts on how to connect it as it is not a modem. Have I to put it in middle between ISP modem/router or I have to buy a dedicated modem? I ask this because if i put in between my ISP router then I have 2 routers and I have read that this topology can have issues. I don't understand how those gateways are tipically used ?

also because it seems today that it's not common to find a modem only device, majority are modem and router together so i was wondering how should be the correct setup/topology to use such gateway?

thanks in advance

Options
2020-11-06 21:25:39

@Xstreem 

The typical use of TP-Link gateway is after your modem.

So you have to connect the WAN port of the router to your ISP modem and the LAN port to your switch.

in this case the DCHP Server it will be the gateway on the default LAN (192.168.0.0/24 but you can also change the subnet) obiuvsly your modem and gateway adresses must are different (1.1 and 0.1) and then you can also create a new LANs on different subnet on a gateway and spread it to your wireless lan with Omada SDN EAPs.

Usually is a typical deploy for SMB market not home.

I hope to have been clear

Regards

Options
2020-11-07 10:23:51

@Emitplink thanks but I still have a doubt, is it better to have a modem only device and attach the gateway or i can plug the gateway to my ISP device. My doubt is because the ISP device is not just a modem but it is a modem and router

Options
2020-11-07 10:27:15 - last edited 2020-12-03 10:20:19

@Xstreem 

Is not a problem, in that case the router function are from the gateway with another subnet and your ISP modem just for the internet connection.

Regards

Recommended Solution
Options
2020-11-12 10:06:08 - last edited 2020-12-03 10:22:52

Dear @Xstreem,

I recommend you to read the UG of the Omada SDN Controller to learn more about the wired network settings.

Refer to chapter 4.3.2 Configure LAN Networks (Page 67-75) which could help to explain what we can do in Wired Networks ->Profile.

Besides, we can also click the symbol “?” at the top right corner on the settings page to get some clues, check the configuration example to better understand how to configure VLAN.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options
2020-11-12 10:22:20 - last edited 2020-11-12 10:22:34

Dear @Emitplink,

You have to use the Omada SDN gateway like TL-R605 in order to create L2 vlan or L3 interface and propagate them on switch ports.

Actually, Omada SDN gateway is not necessary in order to create L2 VLAN on switch ports.

If Omada SDN gateway is required, usually it will remind in the setting page.

Options
2020-11-12 10:25:37 - last edited 2020-11-12 10:26:27

@Fae Hello fae, thanks for the hints above. Regarding

Fae wrote

Actually, Omada SDN gateway is not necessary in order to create L2 VLAN on switch ports.

If Omada SDN gateway is required, usually it will remind in the setting page.

Regarding this last statement, it is not required a SDN Gateway but it is required a router vlan aware right ?

Options
2020-11-12 10:47:07

Dear @Xstreem,

I was thinking to buy a TL-605R but i have doubts on how to connect it as it is not a modem. Have I to put it in middle between ISP modem/router or I have to buy a dedicated modem? I ask this because if i put in between my ISP router then I have 2 routers and I have read that this topology can have issues. I don't understand how those gateways are tipically used ?

The TL-R605 router can only connect to the Internet via Ethernet cable. If your ISP provides Internet access through an Ethernet cable, then you can simply replace the ISP modem/router with the new TL-R605 router and configure the Internet on the TL-R605 router instead.

But if the ISP provides the Internet through a fiber cable or DSL line that cannot be connected directly to the TL-R605 router, then you need to connect the TL-R605 router behind the ISP modem/router for Internet access. If you don't want to have two gateway routers in your network, try contacting the ISP to set the ISP modem/router as a pure modem (bridge mode). 

By the way, here is a related thread about the Internet configuration with two routers for your reference.

https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/221724?replyId=479406

Hope the information above is helpful. Have a nice day!

Options
2020-11-12 11:40:10 - last edited 2020-11-13 08:14:14

Dear @Xstreem,

Regarding this last statement, it is not required a SDN Gateway but it is required a router vlan aware right ?

That's correct.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1646

Replies: 13

Related Articles