EAP225 Outdoor LAN Port Down

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-07 19:00:36 - last edited 2020-11-10 07:31:42
Model: EAP225-Outdoor  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.20.0 Build 20200422 Rev. 70543 (5553)

Hi there

I have a EAP 225 Outdoor that I bought last spring. It has never worked. I have spent hours and hours with little to no progress. 

The only conclution I have is some sort of hardware problem, it cant be this difficult to configure a simple access point.

I have never been able to connect to the default wifi SSID. Android (tried 3 android devices so far) devices are not able to get ip from the EAP. If I enter 192.168.0.100 as a static ip I am able to connect without internet. The experience is the same with computers (tried 2 PC) I will have to set a static IP on the PC 192.168.0.100 this will connect without internet.

With static IP I am able to enter web configuration to set a new user and new SSID/Password. I was also able to update the firmware. But even with new SSID there is still no internet and no connection to the EAP unless I use a static ip. When looking at the EAP status page it says "LAN Port: Down" and this status never changes.

What I have tried so far:

* Countless hard resets from EAP reset sw

* Several CATe cables 568B pinout all continuinity tested.

* 3 routers

* 1 switch

* 2 PoE injectors

* I have tries to connect directly to LAN port of 2 PC's (connected to LAN port on PoE injector) but both PC show Network Cable Unplugged. At one point when connected to LAN port of a laptop the connection was constantly alternating between "Network Cable Unplugged" and "authenticating" but nothing more.

* I have also entered the router web interface but the EAP does not show up there.

Wifi range is very very poor. Only several meters when indoor. All other routers I have testes have much better wifi range. I have not tested wifi range outdoor since I have never been able to configure or use this access point.

Any suggestions?

With regards

Oskar Andri

Options
4 Reply
Re:EAP225 Outdoor LAN Port Down
2020-11-10 09:53:24

Dear @OskarAndri,

Did you try the original 24V Passive PoE to power up the EAP225-Outdoor?

What kind of cable you are using? CAT5e or CAT6e?

When looking at the EAP status page it says "LAN Port: Down" and this status never changes.

It seems that the LAN port on the Passive PoE adapter is failed to detect the LAN connection.

For the case, it might be the issue from the passive PoE adapter's LAN port, or from the cable quality.

If possible, you may connect the EAP225-Outdoor to a PoE switch for checking.

Then connect the PoE switch to a router, check if you can get an Internet connection from the EAP's SSID or not.

If it works with a PoE switch, then the Passive PoE adapter is the problem. If not, you may double check the cable you are using.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2020-11-10 10:35:37

@Fae 

Thank you for the reply. I have tried the factory PoE injector and also another passive PoE injector. I have also tried 5 different cables. Same problem, no matter what I try frown

Options
2020-11-10 10:36:09
CAT5e cables
Options
2020-11-11 19:01:27

Hi @OskarAndri,

Is this a new installation?  Or did it used to work and something failed?  

How long are your cable runs?  

1) From Switch to Midspan injector

2) From Midspan injector to AP

Note that the midspan injector is not water proof (and is, in fact, recommended for indoor use).  I have mine outside, but it's in a bag.

Also note that there are a few different PoE spec's.  You need to make sure the voltage is correct for the device if using a PoE switch or other injector.

Also note that PoE doesn't travel as far as Ethernet.  Cat5e can do Gigabit at 100 meter.  But PoE is more like 40-60 meters.  With oxidation, corossion, inteferference, kinks in the wire, etc. it will be less and will degrade over time.

-Jonathan

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 1841

Replies: 4

Related Articles