VLAN over wireless using Netgear GS116Ev2 and EAP115

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-09 14:55:48 - last edited 2020-11-12 05:48:41
Model: EAP115  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 3.20

Hi

I am working for a community centre who rent out space to tenants. I am trying to implement a wireless network that will allow connection to the correct VLAN depending on the port used.

I have been following this article as a guide without success: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/418/. 

As far as I can tell this is exactly the same configuration, except that we have unmanaged switches in the middle of our trunk, however we have ruled this out as a problem.

I am unable to get a wireless connection when I connect a device to a wireless network that is on a VLAN.  I believe this may be a DHCP issue, coming from the router. I am able to get results, when, for example, I configure the PVID of the router to VLAN 10, and at the same  time connect to a wireless network on the same VLAN.

I do not understand how we can get data coming from the router/port 16 to different wireless networks with different VLANs.

Please can someone advise how this should be configured.

Options
5 Reply
Re:VLAN over wireless using Netgear GS116Ev2 and EAP115
2020-11-10 20:42:56 - last edited 2020-11-12 05:48:41

@leatherman 

Unmanaged switches can't carry VLAN tags, if you plug an AP directly in to your VLAN capable switch removing the unmanaged switch - does it work?

How did you rule out the unmanaged switches?

Options
2020-11-11 10:41:05 - last edited 2020-11-12 05:48:41

@leatherman Hi, thanks for the response. We had already considered this possibility, but research showed that modern switches should be able to cope. We tested it. If we configure the PVID of the router to, for example, VLAN 10, and connect to the WAP on the same VLAN everything works perfectly, but only for that VLAN.

It is also worth noting that, for well over a year, the setup worked pretty well, but there were only occasional issues connecting (which I put down to a faulty WAP or wiring). However these got worse over time, I think as leases expired, especially whilst we were closed for a long period. The internal network also worked well, we could talk to the server over wireless for example on VLAN 10. Hence I believe the issue is more to do with connecting to the DHCP server.

Thanks

Steve

Options
2020-11-12 06:13:08

Dear @leatherman,

I have been following this article as a guide without success: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/418/. 

The article is too old to follow, you may refer to this article instead, https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1849/

I do not understand how we can get data coming from the router/port 16 to different wireless networks with different VLANs.

Make sure port 11/12/16 is set as a trunk port on the switch. And the router support trunk VLAN as well.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2020-11-12 09:45:27

@Fae Hi, thanks for the update, I will have a look at this and try it out.

Options
2020-11-12 10:02:43

@leatherman  To add to to this, we do not have a router with VLAN support. This is where I am falling down and I had already considered this was the problem.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1176

Replies: 5

Related Articles