No captive portal access if omada controller not activated on the computer

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-09 19:22:51 - last edited 2020-11-13 10:26:12
Model: EAP225  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 2.20.1

Hello,

I have EAP 225, it's a great product but it was just a problem.

When the omada controller (v4.2.4) is disabled, the captive portal does not work.

No connection interface possible for the guest, but we see the SSID.

This is a big problem, a computer must to be on all the time or you wue must buy an OC200 ...

The documentation is not clear on this.

You say in the commercial page like this:

https://www.tp-link.com/en/business-networking/omada-sdn-access-point/eap225/

Secure Guest Network: with several authentication options (SMS / Facebook Wi-Fi / Voucher, etc.) and numerous wireless security technologies.

EAP xxx has a captive portal but you don't warn that you need a permanent computer or OC200.

And in the FAQ:

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/1041/

You say when yhe controller is offline withe siple password configuration:

- Portal page provided by EAP
- Authenticated by EAP

You are selling a manageable system in the cloud but it needs a PC to use a captive portal, one of the main functions of the equipment.

Are you going to offer a solution in a future firmware so that the captive portal works without the omada controller being activated ?

I am not satisfied with my purchase.

Thank you

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:No captive portal access if omada controller not activated on the computer-Solution
2020-11-10 12:20:24 - last edited 2020-11-13 10:26:12

To run any Captive Portal, SMS or Voucher system it would be required to have some version of a web portal to handle this authentication, this in turn requires some form of web service.

Given the EAP 225 is, as it states an Access Point it would be highly unlikely that it would or even could contain such features. As this is a business grade device designed for SDN setups, this should be evident.

I know of no vendor that can do captive portal from a standalone AP, every installation I have completed with this feature contains some form of controller.

I would recommend the good practice that before purchasing hardware you download the full manual from the website, this will explain the appropiate setup for these device features.

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:No captive portal access if omada controller not activated on the computer-Solution
2020-11-10 12:20:24 - last edited 2020-11-13 10:26:12

To run any Captive Portal, SMS or Voucher system it would be required to have some version of a web portal to handle this authentication, this in turn requires some form of web service.

Given the EAP 225 is, as it states an Access Point it would be highly unlikely that it would or even could contain such features. As this is a business grade device designed for SDN setups, this should be evident.

I know of no vendor that can do captive portal from a standalone AP, every installation I have completed with this feature contains some form of controller.

I would recommend the good practice that before purchasing hardware you download the full manual from the website, this will explain the appropiate setup for these device features.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:No captive portal access if omada controller not activated on the computer
2020-11-10 19:54:46
Also it's not so expensive an OC200, I bought it for my home, it is useful not just for the captive portal that honestly I don't use at home, for other things like email alerts or schedules. Also the controller allows the usage of fast roaming and autobackup feature, I recommend it
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2237

Replies: 2

Related Articles