OC-200/SDN Email Notification using Amazon SES?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-13 03:20:22
Model: OC200  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: Current

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to find a "simple" way to enable my OC-200/SDN controller to email me alerts, etc.  I used to use the GMAIL smtp server (not G-Suite).  But over the past few years Google likes to block folks from doing this because it is less secure.

So now I'm trying to set this up using SES inside of a free Amazon AWS account.  Has anyone had any luck with this?  I validated my sending email address and created SMTP user credentials.  I'm using the correct Amazon East Coast SMTP server (email-smtp.us-east-2.amazonaws.com).  I've tried all of the ports 25, 465, 587, or 2587 with and without SSL checked.  Everyone requires TLS these days.  Does Omada/SDN do TLS?

Or is there a simple, free, SMTP forwarding service I can use instead, that your would recommend?

I really wish that TP-Link enabled Omada/SDN to send these emails through them.  Or at least had a push type service so that these notifications would show up in the iOS/Android apps.

If my OC-200 was at work it would be a non-issue.  But since it's at home, that's a problem.

-Jonathan

Options
7 Reply
Re:OC-200/SDN Email Notification using Amazon SES?
2020-11-13 03:26:37

I'm looking at the SDN manual, it says:

Page 196

"SMTP -- Enter the URL or IP address of the SMTP server according to the instructions of the email service provide"

Do you really mean url or IP?  What about FQDN aka:

email-smtp.us-east-2.amazonaws.com

Do I need to enter:

http://email-smtp.us-east-2.amazonaws.com

Also Page 196

"SSL -- Enable or disable SSL according to the instructions of the email service provider. SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) is used to create an encrypted link between the controller and the SMTP server."

Do you really only support SSL?  It seems like everyone requires TLS these days.

Thank you!

Jonathan

Options
2020-11-13 09:49:56

Dear @JSchnee21,

Not sure if this helps, the Omada Controller V4.2.4 has added the Hostname/IP setting which will be used for the controller URL in the notification email. As far as I know, OC200 V4.2.4 will be released next week, perhaps you could give it a try.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2020-11-13 12:19:30

@JSchnee21 

Update is already available. I just checked it now, but I haven't updated mine yet. 

Options
2020-11-13 12:35:41

@Fae @paparazz01 

Thank you!  I upgraded to 1.7.1 (4.2.4) and my email works now through Amazon AWS SES !!!! Thank you!

[Omada] Controller Test Email

This is a message generated by Omada SDN Controller [OC200_Home].
Getting this message means that your SMTP server settings are correct.

Options
2020-11-15 17:12:06

@Fae 

Looks like I spoke too soon.  SDN 4.2.4 fixed the SMTP Server "Test SMTP Server:" functionality (test emails are still working). 

But, all of the email based notifications I've configured are failing to send.

[Failed]The controller failed to mail logs to j****************is@gmail.com automatically.

I tried clicking on these messages to see if there was some additional information, but I don't seem to be able to "drill into" the message.

-Jonathan

Options
2020-11-17 09:30:33

Dear @JSchnee21,

Looks like I spoke too soon.  SDN 4.2.4 fixed the SMTP Server "Test SMTP Server:" functionality (test emails are still working). 

But, all of the email based notifications I've configured are failing to send.

[Failed]The controller failed to mail logs to j****************is@gmail.com automatically.

Sorry that I failed to reproduce the problem. I tested with gmail and it seems to work properly.

To confirm, did you enable Alert Emails under Site settings page?

Did you also check Alert Emails for the Admin account (j**********is@gmail.com)?

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2020-11-17 15:41:50

Hi Fae,

Thank you for the suggestions.  I will check these when I get home.

-Jonathan

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1183

Replies: 7

Related Articles