Unable to ping/communicates between the devices connected to the Omada Network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-15 15:32:06
Model: OC200  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.7.1 Build 20201016 Rel.62818

Good Afternoon, 

I'm new on this community.

I have an Omada Network with the following architecture:

- 1x OC200 controller (Controller version: 4.2.4 and Firmware version: 1.7.1 Build 20201016 Rel.62818)

- 2x EAP225 (model: EAP225(EU) v3.0; version 2.20.1)

Both are connected to a Fritzx Box Router

I have configured 2 WLAN (One as Guest Network and the other one protected by WPA key).

The problem is that the devices connected to the protected network cannot be communicate each other (I'm not able to ping a device connected to the same SSID).

I'm able to ping only the router or some sites over the internet; I'm not able to use a Wi.fi printer because if I try to find it, it doesn't displayed)

The guest tag is only selected for the Guest Network.

Can someone help me?

Thanks

Options
22 Reply
Re:Unable to ping/communicates between the devices connected to the Omada Network
2020-11-19 17:27:31

@BeppeTPL 

Out of interest are you seeing large amounts of dropped packets or retries on the EAPs in the statistics tab on controller?

I'm seeing simular issues where I can't ping between wireless devices but can ping my switch, router and the internet and some wireless devices seeing general degraded performance. I then saw that there was a lot of dropped packets. After some further checks I ended up rebooting the EAPs and it returned back to normal.

Today simular but this time large amounts of retries, again rebooted the EAPs and back to normal.

Might be related maybe not. Thought I'd mention so you can check this area. I've only noticed this on the 1.7.0 Build 20200703 Rel.59609. No problems were seen on the old OC200/EAP firmware.

1 x OC200 

1.7.0 Build 20200703 Rel.59609

1 x EAP225 outdoor [1.20.0 Build 20200422 Rel. 70543]

1 x EAP225 [2.20.1 Build 20200630 Rel. 41064]

Options
Re:Unable to ping/communicates between the devices connected to the Omada Network
2020-11-19 20:56:58

@JD792 

I triyed to reboot each EAP and after that I'm able to ping the wireless devices.
I suppose that such behavior is a bug?

Options
2020-11-19 21:46:41

@BeppeTPL 

That is interesting and I would say it is a bug. Question for TP-Link or other community members that may know. How do we report this bug?

Also did you check the statistics for the eap's on the controller? To see if you had large amounts of dropped packets or retries on the EAPs?

Options
2020-11-22 12:08:14

@JD792 

Yes there are a lot of dropped package. 

This is the current situation:

Is that like what happens to you?

I don't know how to report this BUG to TP Link.

Thanks

Options
2020-11-22 21:20:20

@BeppeTPL 

What was it like before you rebooted your EAPs? Didn't you rebooted them on the 19th Nov?

This was how it was for me last time this happened. You can see the issue started around the 16th October and got worse over time and resolved on the 29th October when I restarted the EAP's. I have reported it to TP-Link to their tech support email and I also mentioned this community thread.

Options
2020-11-23 20:47:06

@JD792 

Starting from the 20th of november I've implemented a daily reboot in order to avoid the issue.

The result is negative, I set the reboot at 03:00 am but at the 10:00 or 12:00 am the issue is present again, it work fine only for some hours.

I don't know how to solve it.

thanks 

Options
2020-11-23 21:02:34

@BeppeTPL 

You seem to be affected a lot more by this than I am. I haven't seen it since the first time in October. 

I would recommend emailing TP-Link Support <support.uk@tp-link.com>, I've been speaking with Kayla.Song. Keeps us updated!

Options
2020-11-24 09:48:25

Dear @BeppeTPL,

Just in case, please kindly note that the devices connected to the Guest Network are unable to communicate with each other.

To get the devices to communicate with each other, please confirm the devices are not connected to the SSID for the Guest Network.

I triyed to reboot each EAP and after that I'm able to ping the wireless devices.

I suppose that such behavior is a bug?

Are you able to find the wireless printer now with the same SSID whose Guest Network is not checked?

Regard with the dropped packages, it may be related to the wireless environment.

It is suggested to configure the EAP with 20MHz Channel Width and fix a channel for checking.

You may install a WiFi analyzer or inSSIDer application to check the around wireless signal and select a clean channel for each EAP.

For more infor about how to optimize wireless performance of EAP products, you may refer to the FAQ below.

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2511/

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2020-11-24 10:09:05

@Fae 

Hi,

When I had the issue it was on my normal SSID not my guest. Same devices use the wireless environment and there was no other change in the environment. EAPs have not moved. I used the old firmware for the OC200 and the EAP's before SDN was released and I never had this issue. I think my EAPs are on 20mhz and channels are set statically. Normally I don't see any dropped packets and have gone many days and then suddenly the issue presents itself and there is a massive and noticeable amount of dropped packets. When looking at the graphs it looks very abnormal. If it was the wireless environment I would expect the same amount of dropped packets throughout. Graph below shows when it last happened to me. Shows before and after up (when I rebooted the eap's to till present day.)

I believe this is a bug in the 1.7.0 Build 20200703 Rel.59609 controller firmware or on the EAP's firmware.

Options
2020-11-27 20:28:51

@Fae 

After reboot I'm able to see the printer, to see the other devices like iphone, smart deivce (plug, lights...).

As indicated in the FAQ I configured the Wi.fi parameters fixing the channels, power and channel width, the result is the same.

Here in the following the situation of yesterday

It worked fine till first afternoon and then the devices was isolated again. I also tried to reduce the power but the result is even worse.

For me it is problem of the Omada SW, I don't know how but at the beginning my network (composed of only two EAPs) worked very good and I never had such problems. When I installed the OC200 the problem came up. I'm thinking that there's some internal logic that doesn't work properly.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 7235

Replies: 22