Configure TL-R600VPN for failover and load-balancing at the same time

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-20 21:33:50 - last edited 2021-04-18 10:27:10
Model: TL-R600VPN  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi

I have a cable modem (100/5mbps down/upload) and a DSL (50/5mbps down/upload) and want to figure out if TL-R600VPN is the right router for the job.

1. I need to configure load-balancing between WAN1 and WAN2.

2. At the same time, when either ISP1 or ISP2 fails, I want the router to select only the good route and automatically skip the bad route. 

3. When the failed ISP link is back online, I want the router to restore load-balancing to both WAN1 and WAN2.

Is this possible? If so, how?

Appreciate the help.

Regards,

AJ

Options
4 Reply
Re:Configure TL-R600VPN for failover and load-balancing at the same time
2020-11-26 12:52:51 - last edited 2021-04-18 10:27:10

Dear @AJNetworker ,

If the Link backup with failover mode is configured on the TL-R600VPN router, say WAN1 as the Primary WAN and WAN2 as the backup WAN, then the WAN2 will be offline when the Primary WAN1 work, the Backup WAN2 only works when WAN1 goes offline.

If you want both WANs to work at the same time, you could simply enable the Load Balancing feature:

1) Go to Transmission-->Load Balancing-->Basic Settings Page, Check Enable Load Balancing, Click Save.

2) Uncheck Enable Application Optimized Routing,

3) Check Enable Bandwidth Based Balancing Routing on ports, check WAN1 and WAN2. Then click Save.

Note: Remember to configure the bandwidth provided by the ISP under Network -->WAN for both WANs.

The Load Balance on the TL600VPN router selects which WAN port is session-based.

Read this FAQ to learn how the load balance works. https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2079/

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2020-11-26 13:11:42 - last edited 2021-04-18 10:27:10

@Fae 

Thx for the reply. 

I don’t think you understand my question, however. 

In the load balancing scenario you described, what will happen when WAN1 fails? Will the router be smart enough to route all traffic out through WAN2 only until WAN1 is restored?

Regards

Options
2020-11-26 21:52:21 - last edited 2021-04-18 10:27:10

@AJNetworker 

The answer is yes, when WAN1 fails, all the traffic will go through WAN2 (just 2-3 packets for switch the traffic).

Best Regards

Options
2020-12-18 01:05:14 - last edited 2021-04-18 10:27:10

@AJNetworker 

AJNetworker wrote

@Fae 

Thx for the reply. 

I don’t think you understand my question, however. 

In the load balancing scenario you described, what will happen when WAN1 fails? Will the router be smart enough to route all traffic out through WAN2 only until WAN1 is restored?

Regards

It works great - I have 2 dsl's and I actually unplug one every morning and plug it into a different router that just goes to my home office.  The TL-R600VPN then uses one line, WAN1, all day to service house.  At night I unplug that DSL line from that router and plug it back into wan2 on my tl-r600vpn.  It automatically recognizes the extra bandwidth and I get 8Meg of bandwidth (each dls is 4 meg).  It just works and I dont have to do anything!  We also play games online and one game Guildwars2 was dropping us when we used other dual wan routers, but the TP-Link has not dropped us yes (over a year).  I cant say enough about this router.  

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3078

Replies: 4