EAP245. What is the actual newest firmware?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-23 22:30:16
Model: EAP245  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 2.21

So I just purchased an EAP245 (AC1750) Access Point, and I'm a little confused about the latest firmware.  The hardware version is V3 (it's says v3.8 on the back of the device).

I admittedly may have made a mistake in what I did, but if someone can simply let me know what the latest firmware for the device is, I would appreciate it, and install it.

Out of the box, when I went to the IP address and configuration page of the unit, I think the firmware version said 2.4, but I could be wrong.

Anyway, I went to the tp-link website and downloaded what I thought was the latest version, which looks to be version 2.21 here : https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/download/eap245/v3/#Firmware

I don't see any newer version there, but I could be mistaken.

However, now it seems a number of Apple devices are coming up with a "Weak Security" message, which I don't think was happening before I installed the firmware.

So, I found this page on the community forum from which I apparently can get version 2.4, which I haven't installed yet https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/197736

Is this the version I should be installing?

Thank you.

Options
15 Reply
Re:EAP245. What is the actual newest firmware?
2020-11-23 23:50:05

Hi @Lobster4,

The current version of firmware for the EAP245V3 (or 3.8) is 2.21.0 Build 20200552 Rel. 49688.  I have two myself.

This is the latest version which is compatible with the new/current version of the SDN software.  The previous management software (Omada) had a different firmware number scheme.  This has led to a lot of confusion as the previous firmware numbers were higher.

The iOS network security message you're getting is a new feature of iOS.  I forget which version (14.0, 14.1, 14,2).  If you turn on WPA3 it will go away.

-Jonathan

Options
2020-11-24 01:51:34

Thanks a lot @JSchnee21 

At least that puts my mind at ease that I have the latest firmware installed.

So maybe I did see version 2.4 right out of the box like I said, but that was actually an older version.

One other thing, you mentioned WPA3, however I only see the following Encryption options on the access point (currently set to WPA-PSK).  WPA3 is not one of them.  Did you mean WPA2 ?  Or did you mean something that needs to be done on Apple devices for this message to go away. 

Thanks again for your help.

Options
2020-11-25 00:30:11

Hi @Lobster4,

How are you managing the device?  From the Web UI of the AP or using Omada/SDN?  If Omada, have you upgraded to the new SDN version (came out in Aug? or so).  New release just came out a couple weeks ago.

In Omada (version 4.2.4 running on my OC-200) I see the following encryption options under my WLAN settings (per SSID).  Note that I'm logged into the SDN interface using a web browser (Chrome) and connecting to the internal (not cloud) IP address -- aka the IP of the OC-200 on my LAN.

Options
2020-11-25 01:24:01

Thanks for the replay @JSchnee21 

I'm managing it like you are.  Using Chrome as well from a desktop computer and going directly to the local IP address (192.168.1.208) on my LAN.  I don't use the cloud connection option.

I absolutely do not have the WPA3 option that you have shown,  I only have the 3 choices that I displayed previously which are:

WPA/WPA2-PSK

WPA-PSK

WPA2-PSK

So I'm a bit concerned I'm not showing the security options that you are.

I can connect to it using my phone too, and the Omada software on there is showing as version 3.0.15.

I did not do any other upgrades to anything besides upgrading the firmware on the AP to version 2.21.

I don't have the OC200 device, it's just a single Access Point for now.

Really not sure why it wouldn't show the security options that you have shown.

Options
2020-11-25 01:56:59

Hi @Lobster4,

The reason why is because you are still using the Omada software (3.0.x as you said).  You need to upgrade to the new SDN software (4.x.x) to get WPA3 options.

-Jonathan

Options
2020-11-25 02:34:44

@JSchnee21 

Thanks. 

Well I completely uninstalled it from my phone and reinstalled it directly from the Google Play store, and it's still showing up as version 3.0.15.

However I don't see how this will correct the problem if I'm connecting to the AP from a computer, and not even using the phone.

Maybe I'll try downloading the controller software (v4.2.4.) from here and install it on my computer.  I'll see if that does the trick tomorrow.

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/download/eap245/v3/#Controller_Software

Thank again for your help.

Options
2020-11-25 03:59:16

@Lobster4 

Ahh, now I understand.  You were referring to the iOS or Android app store product  (the current version for iOS is 3.0.33).  This is just the client application.  It has very limited basic functionality in stand alone mode and IS NOT Omada/SDN.  Are you accessing your AP's directly under the "Standalone AP's" menu item (at the bottom) of the app?

The real Omada/SDN server/controller software is a Windows/Linux/OC-200 application which runs on a computer and can centrally manage one or more EAP's (and other TP-Link business class hardware).  I see you've already found the link to it (https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/download/eap245/#Controller_Software).

This is the software you need for WPA3, Fast Roaming, MESH, etc.  Just an FYI, I think it is possible to disable that warning in iOS14, too, for insecure networks.  Unless you live in an apartment building, generally speaking WPA2 is more than sufficient for home use.

-Jonathan

Options
2020-11-25 10:16:45

Dear @Lobster4,

One other thing, you mentioned WPA3, however I only see the following Encryption options on the access point (currently set to WPA-PSK).  WPA3 is not one of them.  Did you mean WPA2 ?  Or did you mean something that needs to be done on Apple devices for this message to go away. 

The EAP245 V3 (or V3.8) doesn't support WPA3 encryption so that you cannot find WPA3 from the EAP's web management page.

The Omada SDN Controller V4.1.5 or above version does have the WPA3 option but it only works for the EAP which supports WPA3 encryption. Even if you configure the WPA3 encryption for the EAP245 through the Omada SDN Controller, it doesn't mean that the EAP245 will provide WPA3 encryption for the wireless clients.

As for the problem that Apple devices are coming up with a "Weak Security" message, the root reason is that Apple officially recognized encryption methods other than WPA2 + AES and WPA3 as insecure encryption methods in the iOS14. You can fix the security version to WPA2-PSK and encryption to AES to solve it.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2020-11-25 21:46:08

@JSchnee21 

Thanks a lot for all your information.  It's just one AP for now, so I don't have the SDN software yet, but will be getting it once I pick up more of these APs.

Options
2020-11-25 21:54:12

@Fae 

Thank you Fae.

I assume I can live without the WPA3 then. 

The AP is in a small church/educational facility. so I had it on the lower WPA security setting to accommodate users that possibly had older phones and devices.

However, today I switched it to WPA2/AES, and the "weak security" messages on the iPhones are now gone.  If anyone has older devices that can't connect to the AP, I'll deal with them if they come up.

Once I get more of these EAP245's, I will be configuring them with the Omada SDN Controller software to play around with the Mesh settings, etc.  I just wanted to get one unit to start and see how it works.  I'm actually pretty impressed with the unit so far.  Much better than the Engenius unit that it's replacing, which gave us much trouble,

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2446

Replies: 15

Related Articles