IGMP snooping on new EAP235-Wall

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-25 11:24:54 - last edited 2020-11-26 06:44:59
Model: EAP235-Wall  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi,

I'm new to this forum but could not find whether this question has already been answered already. Sorry in case I missed it.

Does the new EAP235-Wall wifi access point have IGMP snooping functionality?

With three Gigabit ports it looks to have switching capability, but could not find this functionality in the datasheet.

Although not yet available, this access point seems to be a great one for my home office. However, for using IPTV the omission of IGMP snooping would be a deal breaker.

Options
4 Reply
Re:IGMP snooping on new EAP235-Wall
2020-11-26 06:52:23

Dear @Nick66,

Does the new EAP235-Wall wifi access point have IGMP snooping functionality?

With three Gigabit ports it looks to have switching capability, but could not find this functionality in the datasheet.

No, it doesn't have IGMP Snooping feature. The EAP235-Wall is just a wireless access point. If you need the IGMP Snooping feature, you may consider a switch instead.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2020-11-26 21:04:32

@Fae,

thanks for the info on this AP! 

However, I hoped to limit the number of hardware and I do not have the possibility to pull extra cables.

So if I want a single box, it looks like the only combination of switch and AP is a router, which you must set up as an AP to prevent problems in your network.

Options
2020-11-30 19:54:40

Hi @Nick66,

I believe IGMP snooping is only really needed for Airplay and/or screen mirroring.  And even then, I've not proven that this was the case.  Do you have another application in mind?

Given that your mobile and streamer would likely both be on the same collision domain (a hub I'm guessing) within the EAP235 I would suspect that Airplay/Screen Mirroring may still work -- but I don't have this product to try.

-Jonathan

Options
2020-11-30 21:46:50

@JSchnee21,

I can confirm that here in the Netherlands IGMP snooping is required when you want a working IPTV. Without IGMP snooping my TV signal freezes in 3 seconds and shows an error. I have bought a managed switch with IGMP snooping in put it in between wall socket and TV settopbox. Access point plugged into switch too.

Result: working TV signal without freezes and full speed bandwidth on the access point. For me this is the solution.

Following link explains it well: http://www.klicktv.co.uk/iptv-multicasting

My internet connection is a 200 Mbps optical fiber connection. A Full HD TV signal for optical fiber uses 12 Mbps bandwidth. In my situation with 2 viewers it would use 24 Mbps of bandwidth. I do not notice a drop in internet speed.

So it is purely the IPTV protocol that needs the IGMP snooping to work properly. From my provider's forum I've read that the stream is divided between the router ports causing the quality of signal for individual receivers to drop. 

For me Airplay is working fine, with or without IGMP snooping. If I discover the problem I will set the IGMP snooping only on the ports for the settopbox.

If it happens soon I wil update this thread.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1486

Replies: 4

Related Articles