TL-R600VPN not working with wifi access point

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-25 13:59:24 - last edited 2021-04-18 10:37:40

NOT an IT guy.  Setting up a home network.  The house is wired with ethernet so I got a TL-R600vpn to be the router for all the ethernet cables and wanted to hook up a wireless access point to it as well.  Just testing things out now trying to get wiring etc set up.  R600 seemed to work fine when I had just one ethernet cable hooked up to any LAN port  (only one is currently needed). Computer hooked up on the other end of the line had proper internet access on any of the LAN ports.  The access point is  a netgear nighthawk router.  It has a setting specifically to act as an access point and I set it to obtain IP address dynamically from the R600.  When I plugged it in It works fine with proper internet to the devices connecting to it, but internet access to the computer connected directly to the R600 has been lost.  Is the ptoblem with the wifi access point or the R600?  Should I be using a fixed IP address on with access point?  Some sort of setting I need to change on the R600?

Options
3 Reply
Re:TL-R600VPN not working with wifi access point
2020-11-26 10:41:42 - last edited 2021-04-18 10:37:40

Dear @agarger,

When I plugged it in It works fine with proper internet to the devices connecting to it, but internet access to the computer connected directly to the R600 has been lost.

• Ensure the computer is connected to the LAN port of the R600VPN router with a good cable.

By default, Port1 & Port2 are WAN ports while the others are LAN ports. And the port LED would light up if it's plugged in well.

• Try to unplug and plug the computer back to the R600VPN to refresh the connection.

• Check whether the computer can obtain an IP address, default gateway and DNS server from the R600VPN.

You may refer to this guide to check the IP info on the PC, https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/838/

• If possible, connect a different PC to the LAN port of the R600VPN router for checking.
>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2020-11-27 16:48:20 - last edited 2021-04-18 10:37:40

@Fae Thank you.  The problem did turn out to be the default WAN caonfiguration.  I did not know that port 2 was a WAN by default.  

Unfrotunately now there is a separate problem that the R600 seems to completely throttle the speeds of the connected devices (we are talking 2-3 Mbps) for some reason.  I have tested the cables and they are not the problem (computer connected directly to modem via the same cat 6 cable gets 170 mbps,  wifi router connected directly to modem  via cat 5 is a bit slower) but when either device is connected through the R600, speed plummets.  I have looked through all seetting and tried to turn off anything that I saw that seemed optional and not necessary for a few home devices (like all the VPN capabilities).  I tried turning on flow control and rate control (separately and together) and neither had any effect.

Options
2020-11-30 07:18:01 - last edited 2021-04-18 10:37:40

Dear @agarger,

Unfrotunately now there is a separate problem that the R600 seems to completely throttle the speeds of the connected devices (we are talking 2-3 Mbps) for some reason.  I have tested the cables and they are not the problem (computer connected directly to modem via the same cat 6 cable gets 170 mbps,  wifi router connected directly to modem  via cat 5 is a bit slower) but when either device is connected through the R600, speed plummets.

What's the hardware and current firmware version of your TL-R600VPN router (you can find the info from the STATUS page)?

To eliminate any possible influence of configuration, you may back up the current settings, then factory reset the router for checking.

In addition, if possible, you may try using Iperf to test the speed of the router by referring to the guide below.

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2408/

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 644

Replies: 3

Related Articles