Cloud controller controller Ap's

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-26 18:39:08 - last edited 2020-11-27 03:34:01
Model: AC50  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi, 

probably not on the right model, however ive installed 4 eap225's onto a cloud controller used via my macbook. three of them work fine and are connected, however the fourth which is a little further away but well within the limits doesnt want to show up on the omada controller web page. when i move the head on to one of the closer cat 5's ive wired it connects straigh away. ive tested the cable and all cores are fine and i know the head works as i mentioned when i moved it to another point. on my PoE switch the power icon is lit however my data LED flashes very slowly. 

ive tried all sorts of things but cant get this one working?????

Options
4 Reply
Re:Cloud controller controller Ap's
2020-11-27 05:51:57

Dear @OliverElec,

however the fourth which is a little further away but well within the limits doesnt want to show up on the omada controller web page. 

Can you get Internet access from the fourth EAP's default SSID? Please find the fourth EAP's SSID and connect to it for checking.

If it works, then the LAN connection to the switch should work fine.

If you cannot get Internet access from the fourth EAP's SSID, try swapping it with a working EAP (move the EAP only). 

Besides, you may refer to the guide below to log into the web UI of the fourth EAP.

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1000/

Check the current firmware of the EAP and upgrade the firmware to the one that is compatible with your Omada Controller.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2020-11-30 19:03:11 - last edited 2020-11-30 19:08:58

Hi @OliverElec,

I'm not sure I completely follow your setup.  You're saying that you have 4 EAP225's (all V3?) which are all Ethernet connected to a PoE switch?  You're running the Omada/SDN controller software on your MAC?

3 of 4 EAP's are working fine, but the 4th (which is the farthest away) is not?  But when you move that EAP physically closer (or directly connect locally to the Switch) then it works fine?

How far away is it?  Do you realize that PoE distances are less than Ethernet distances?  Ethernet spec is up to 100 meters for 1Gbit/sec on Cat-5e or better cabling.  But, PoE is only good up to 40-60 meters depending on which PoE spec (aka which voltage 24 or 48) the devices use.

1) If you use the midspan power injector instead, proximal to the farthest EAP, does this fix the issue (aka PoE too far check)? 

2) If you connect a PC to the (long EAP) cable instead do you get good/clean speed tests (aka bad cable check)?

-Jonathan

Options
2020-11-30 19:23:03
thank you very much for getting back to me. I think this is the case but the funny thing is ive had it working. I did find a suggestion online about PoE prioritisation, where the most used devices can almost push the weakest link into not connecting or not sending signal. many thanks
Options
2020-11-30 19:48:41

Hi @OliverElec,

What is the power budget on your PoE switch?  Each EAP uses ~12.6W I believe -- not sure if this is continuous, or if it fluctuates a bit.  Not sure if you have other PoE devices on the switch.

https://www.tp-link.com/us/business-networking/omada-sdn-access-point/eap225/#specifications

As the accumulated wattage of connected devices approaches the power budget of the PoE switch, you can get some DC voltage sag, which is exacerbated by wire/connection resistance.  Over time, with a little bit of oxidation, a crack in the wire, etc. things that were just barely in spec can fall out of spec.

Just a thought,

Jonathan

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 448

Replies: 4

Related Articles