EAP245 with multiple SSID mesh

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-28 04:34:27
Model: EAP245  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 2.21.0

Hi All,

New to the Forums.

My EAP245 is directly connected to my Cisco switch with 3 vlan's per each SSID (Main, Guest & IOT).

I live in an old brick home, signal isn't great on the second level of the house. I'm planning to purchase a second EAP245 for mesh setup. I would like to know if i can expand all three SSID's on the second EAP245. Or is it just one SSID that i can expand? I'm very new to mesh setup.

Thanks

Vithy

Options
6 Reply
Re:EAP245 with multiple SSID mesh
2020-11-30 09:12:02

Dear @Vithy,

I live in an old brick home, signal isn't great on the second level of the house. I'm planning to purchase a second EAP245 for mesh setup. I would like to know if i can expand all three SSID's on the second EAP245. Or is it just one SSID that i can expand? I'm very new to mesh setup.

You can expand all three SSIDs.

However, here are two points you may pay attention to.

• You need to install the Omada Software Controller or purchase the OC200/OC300 to configure and use the Mesh network.
  • The second EAP needs to be within the wireless coverage of the first EAP and gets good signal strength to maintain a stable connection.

For more about the EAP Mesh network, read this FAQ, https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2283/

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2020-11-30 17:42:54 - last edited 2020-11-30 17:56:57

Hi @Vithy,

Your best bet would be to run Ethernet to the second EAP.  Or use a MOCA bridge if COAX is available.  Some have also used PowerLine adapters.

In TP-Link "speak" MESH means wireless backhaul  -- e.g. the second EAP is uplinked to the first one using the 5.8GHz radio.  This significantly reduces speeds (~50%) for clients connected to the second AP and requires at least a decent signal strength between the two EAP's.

Just confirming what you're hoping to do.

-Jonathan

Options
2020-11-30 18:03:45

@Fae Thank you for the information.

I figured i will need the controller, so managed to create a Docker using unraid app store. I also pulled the trigger on the second EAP245 via Amazon this weekend and managed to it setup.

- Controller via Docker (done)

- Second EAP is on the second floor of the house, it seems to be picking up the 5Ghz uplink/downlink without any issues. I have some 5G devices associated to that AP, such as Roku running plex. Before Plex/Roku would complain that the network was slow on directplay (h265/264) streams. Now i'm getting perfect full bitrate streaming. Also my IoT devices on that floor are also associating them to it including my outdoor Wyze that used to disconnect constantly. 

So far, i'm very happy with the TP Link's version of Mash (It's the only mash i have used). I might be adding an EAP225-Outdoor for the patio next spring.

Thank you again.

Vithy 

Options
2020-11-30 18:12:20

Hi @Vithy,

Glad to hear it is working well.  I use MESH with my EAP225-Outdoor.  It works great.  I get ~120-180 Mbit/sec over 5.8GHz.

-Jonathan

Options
2020-11-30 18:13:27

@JSchnee21 Thank you.

My biggest problem is wiring the older home, we don't even have modern COAX (RG 6). I ended up setting it up and the 5g signal seem to be very good between the two access points. I'm going to test run it for a few weeks to see my experiance. If i experience any issues, i will definetly wire it up in spring.

Two TVs/Roku sticks and Wyze outdoor cam's were the bigest issue, as they constantly disconnect. Now Roku's are connecting to the wireless AP, and i'm able to stream directplay from my plex server and the Wyze cam's haven't disconnected since install.

Thank you for your suggestion. I will keep that in mind. If i still continue to experiance issues. i will wire it up for sure.

Vithy

Options
2020-12-01 01:57:40

Dear @Vithy,

Thank you for sharing the experience of the EAP mesh, happy to hear that it works for you.

Hope you could enjoy the Internet with TP-Link products. Wish you a wonderful day!

I figured i will need the controller, so managed to create a Docker using unraid app store. I also pulled the trigger on the second EAP245 via Amazon this weekend and managed to it setup.

- Controller via Docker (done)

- Second EAP is on the second floor of the house, it seems to be picking up the 5Ghz uplink/downlink without any issues. I have some 5G devices associated to that AP, such as Roku running plex. Before Plex/Roku would complain that the network was slow on directplay (h265/264) streams. Now i'm getting perfect full bitrate streaming. Also my IoT devices on that floor are also associating them to it including my outdoor Wyze that used to disconnect constantly. 

So far, i'm very happy with the TP Link's version of Mash (It's the only mash i have used). I might be adding an EAP225-Outdoor for the patio next spring.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1742

Replies: 6

Related Articles