How to replace hardware in controller/eap setup w/o loosing current authenticated voucher clients

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

How to replace hardware in controller/eap setup w/o loosing current authenticated voucher clients

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-28 11:40:12 - last edited 2020-12-07 11:52:22
Model: EAP110-Outdoor  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

Good day.I will be upgrading a switch in my system.Omada controller PC software plus 2 EAPs and a switch is my setup.There are current clients connected via voucher authentication for 30days.My question is How or If I shutdown the system, (will be replacing the switch)will it loose the current connected clients via voucher and configurations once i power up the system again or is there a technique on how to replace a hardware without disturbing the system.As for now my system is working fine without hiccups and i have a number of clients connected via voucher authentication.Id like to avoid problems later on such as clients loosing authentication and access the portal freely.Any advice would be very much appreciated.Thank you and more power to the community!

Options
3 Reply
Re:How to replace hardware in controller/eap setup w/o loosing current authenticated voucher clients
2020-12-08 10:20:46

Dear @batibotsky,

My question is How or If I shutdown the system, (will be replacing the switch)will it loose the current connected clients via voucher and configurations once i power up the system again or is there a technique on how to replace a hardware without disturbing the system.

If the EAPs are shut down, the current connected clients will lose the connection via voucher for a while since the EAPs are off and stop broadcasting the wireless signals.

Configurations on the Controller will not be lost unless you reset it, so the voucher will come back to work once the EAPs are powered up again and connected back to the controller.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
Re:How to replace hardware in controller/eap setup w/o loosing current authenticated voucher clients
2020-12-08 10:45:14

@Fae Thank you for the reply. I appreciate it very much. I was hesitant for awhile disturbing the system because I read somewhere that some users experienced their authentication (voucher) became non existent and anyone can access after a shut down of the omada controller and the eap was left running, when the system went online anyone can access the network with previous authentication or non. But I guess it was a bug that was fixed with the updates in firmware and software. I just didn't read more the information I came across somewhere if it was the OC hardware or PC based software. My bad. Nevertheless my system has the updated ang current software and firmware so your reply is very reassuring. thank you very much and will update how my replacement will go. By the way I will be replacing an old 1Mbps switch to a more faster one, a gigabit switch. Im running my OC on PC.

Thanks. Cheers!

Options
2020-12-09 05:51:17

Dear @batibotsky,

Thank you for the reply. I appreciate it very much. I was hesitant for awhile disturbing the system because I read somewhere that some users experienced their authentication (voucher) became non existent and anyone can access after a shut down of the omada controller and the eap was left running, when the system went online anyone can access the network with previous authentication or non. But I guess it was a bug that was fixed with the updates in firmware and software.

Welcome~Glad to know if I can help here. In normal case, if the Omada Controller is shut down but the EAP is still running, voucher authentication will no longer be provided until the Omada Controller comes back to work again, so newly connected clients can’t pass the authentication while authenticated clients keep the previous authentication status and can go to the Internet.

Related FAQ for your reference, https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1041/

For your case, I think your EAP will lose power for a while if the switch is used to supply power, so it is a different thing from above.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 449

Replies: 3