Not Compatible With Current Controller

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-30 01:03:19
Model: EAP245  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 2.4.0

I just installed two of these in my home, I am using Omada Controller 4.2.4.  One of the AP units is running Firmware 2.21.0 and working flawlessly, the other is Firmware 2.4 and it's connected however it is saying not compatible.  I tried to install the 2.21.0 but that failed.  I am somewhat a noob with this, learning as I go.  Any ideas?

Thank you

Options
4 Reply
Re:Not Compatible With Current Controller
2020-11-30 03:08:57

Dear @Sean1977,

I just installed two of these in my home, I am using Omada Controller 4.2.4.  One of the AP units is running Firmware 2.21.0 and working flawlessly, the other is Firmware 2.4 and it's connected however it is saying not compatible.  I tried to install the 2.21.0 but that failed.  I am somewhat a noob with this, learning as I go.  Any ideas?

Is there showing any error message when you failed to install the 2.21.0 firmware for your EAP245 V3?

Please ensure that you downloaded the current firmware for your EAP245 V3 and extract the file you download before the upgrade.

Try upgrading to the 2.20.0 firmware first. If you still cannot upgrade the EAP245 V3 from the Omada Controller 4.2.4, it's suggested to upgrade it from the web browser. Here is the upgrade instruction for your reference, https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2165/

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2020-11-30 14:58:48

@Fae, thank you, I ended up realizing that the first step is to upload and THEN you need to press upgrade. indecision.  But thank you, working now, just need to figure out the seemless roaming part now, phones keep connecting to the unit in the basement even when next to the AP on the middle floor, kinda weird.  Still fast though compared to the Bell router.  I think it has to do with load balancing and you can also set other parameters to ensure the faster connection is selected.  As I said learning as I go.

Thnak you again

Options
2020-11-30 16:55:32

Hi @Sean1977,

Most likely your EAP transmit power is turned up too high.  Use the custom power settings and lower each radio (two radios per EAP) to ~16 dBm.  You can then adjust in small increments up or down as necessary.  Also try to set the radio of each EAP to a different channel when possible.  Use 20MHz only for 2.4GHz, channels 1, 6, or 11 (for USA), and 80MHz for 5.8GHz using channel 36 or 149.

For Fast Roaming (802.11r), generally speaking, only iOS devices reliably support this.  You'll need to leave the Omada/SDN controller software running all of the time and turn on this setting within Omada/SDN.

Note that in residential construction, a simple floor separation is not enough "distance" between the EAP's in many cases.  I have two 245V3's for my ~2200 sq foot home.  It's a two story long rectangular box.  I have one EAP at one end of the house (1st floor facing up -- on table).  And the second all the way at the other end of the house on the second floor ceiling mounted.  With the EAP power turned down, my devices roam from one EAP to the other properly (usually).

I do not use Band Stearing.  I have separate SSID's (2.4 and 5.8) and join my devices (depending on device type/age) to only one or ther other.

-Jonathan

Options
2020-11-30 17:29:03

@JSchnee21 Thank you I will try that tonight.  Unfortunately the computer running the Omada Controller is off during the day when I am not home, I guess one solution would be the TP-Link OC200 Omada Cloud Controller, but I would rather not do that if possible, is there another way?

Options