How do i know if its my internet or my AP giving me a bad connection.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-30 19:46:03 - last edited 2020-12-07 11:52:55
Model: EAP225  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 2.7.0

Apologies i am not up to speed with this all; so i have probably got the names of things wrong. 

I bought 3 x EAP225's and hard wired them to a 8 way switch (4 x poe) and bought a OC200 as well. I disabled the wifi on my sky router and set everything up the best i could and to my suprise it all worked lovely!! 

I have just upgraded my internet still through sky, so now i have faster internet and more devices hardwired than before; but my wifi is awful now. Almost unuseable! Everytime i run a speedtest its really good (for where i live) but using any device on wifi is like swimming in syrup lol

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Options
7 Reply
Re:How do i know if its my internet or my AP giving me a bad connection.
2020-12-09 11:55:24 - last edited 2020-12-09 11:58:17

Dear @Bertie78,

I have just upgraded my internet still through sky, so now i have faster internet and more devices hardwired than before; but my wifi is awful now. Almost unuseable! Everytime i run a speedtest its really good (for where i live) but using any device on wifi is like swimming in syrup lol

What's the current firmware version of your EAPs? What's the firmware version of the OC200?

Did you configure any advanced settings such as fast roaming, mesh, airtime fairness or band steering on the OC200?

If the EAPs have been running for a long time, you could try to reboot or factory reset them and check if it helps.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2020-12-21 21:08:25

@Bertie78 

Running a speed test over Wi-Fi is never good anyway - check your internet speed with a wired connection, if the results are within the range of your sold speed, then you need to look at your EAPsConfiguration.

What devices are you testing with, 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz frequencies?

If you are testing from a mobile or tablet device what is it's advertised Wi-Fi connection capable of?

What speed does it show from your device connected back to the router, if the signal is low, your speed will be affected, as it will if your APs are too close - Try with only one connected to avoid overlaps, how does it perform now?

Options
2021-01-10 14:51:55

@Fae  i have tried rebooting them today. Firmware is up to date on all. 

All my hard wired products work fine.. its just the wifi, which was great until they changed my sky router

Options
2021-01-10 14:53:29

@Rod-IT 

Most of my wifi devices are 5ghz

The system was all great even set up by a tech phobish guy like me lol. 

Options
2021-01-10 14:56:57

@Bertie78 

Can you be a little more detailed in the actual issue, you said speed tests are ok but using Wi-Fi is not.

Are your APs too close together, what connection speed do your devices show when connected? Are they all on the same VLAN?

Try only using 1 AP, how are things with only one - do test close by, within a couple of meters, if all works well, add the second one, try again.

APs being too close together can also cause issues with overlap.

Wehre is it you see the issues though, via the internet, such as YouTube or via internal transfers, can you give some exmples?

Options
2021-01-10 15:10:02

@Rod-IT 

Sorry  it must be frustrating and thank you for taking the time to help.

I assume the aps are fine in terms of install location, as i said my wifi was good before and nothing has changed accept a new router. 

The wifi signal is excellent everywhere and the speed when tested via my phone is as advertised by my provider. Slightly faster when i test from my computer. 

The oddest and most annoying thing is my wifes phone can not even use the wifi for more than a few minutes before it freezes. 

My phone freezes a couple of times a day. 

But none of the hard wired devices struggle at all.

Options
2021-01-10 15:16:50
What is your definition of freezes, are we speaking about YouTube/Netflix streams, Skype/Teams calls or the browser itself becoming unresponsive. If you are getting errors or page time outs that's different, so I'm trying to understand what you mean by freezes. If all devices are on 5GH they are clearly modernish devices, have your Wife move to 2.4Ghz, does she still have the issue, if not, there maybe a compatibility issue between her devices firmware and the APs, if it doesn't change, put her on an SSID with a very basic WEP password (yes, i know it's not secure, but this is testing), does she still face the issues? If the only changes are the router itself, and it's still the gateway for your internet, i can't see this being the cause. You haven't described your setup, if you use VLANS or not, so i am assuming it's a flat network, on whatever DHCP scope the ISPs router hands out.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1033

Replies: 7