single site, 2 ISPs: how can I set one as backup?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-02 09:15:58 - last edited 2020-12-11 04:23:57
Model: EAP225-Outdoor  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.7

Hello,

I am setting up a LAN via mesh between a house and another using 2 EAP225-Outdoors. The houses are about 70m apart, and each has their own ISP. If I understand correctly, I would need a multi-WAN router (eg. TL-R600VPN) to utilize both ISPs on the same LAN. Is this assumption correct? And how can I set up such when both houses can only be connected wirelessly via mesh?

Regards.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:single site, 2 ISPs: how can I set one as backup?-Solution
2020-12-03 07:35:33 - last edited 2020-12-11 04:23:57

Dear @Doods,

I am setting up a LAN via mesh between a house and another using 2 EAP225-Outdoors. The houses are about 70m apart, and each has their own ISP. If I understand correctly, I would need a multi-WAN router (eg. TL-R600VPN) to utilize both ISPs on the same LAN. Is this assumption correct? And how can I set up such when both houses can only be connected wirelessly via mesh?

If you want to utilize both ISPs in one house, the setup could be like the following:

ISP1 network ----- 1st EAP225-Outdoor ))))EAP Mesh(((( 2nd EAP225-Outdoor ------WAN2-

House 1                                                                                                                     TL-R600VPN at House 2 (LAN)----devices

ISP2 network-------WAN1- 

To set up the EAP mesh network, what you need is the following:

• Install the Omada Software Controller on a Windows/Linux OS or purchase OC200 to configure the Mesh.
  • One of the EAPs should be hardwired to one available network via Ethernet cable
  • It is required to keep the Omada Controller running to use the EAP Mesh network.

You may also read the FAQ about the EAP Mesh network for more details, https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2283/

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:single site, 2 ISPs: how can I set one as backup?-Solution
2020-12-03 07:35:33 - last edited 2020-12-11 04:23:57

Dear @Doods,

If you want to utilize both ISPs in one house, the setup could be like the following:

ISP1 network ----- 1st EAP225-Outdoor ))))EAP Mesh(((( 2nd EAP225-Outdoor ------WAN2-

House 1                                                                                                                     TL-R600VPN at House 2 (LAN)----devices

ISP2 network-------WAN1- 

To set up the EAP mesh network, what you need is the following:

• Install the Omada Software Controller on a Windows/Linux OS or purchase OC200 to configure the Mesh.
  • One of the EAPs should be hardwired to one available network via Ethernet cable
  • It is required to keep the Omada Controller running to use the EAP Mesh network.

You may also read the FAQ about the EAP Mesh network for more details, https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2283/

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:single site, 2 ISPs: how can I set one as backup?
2020-12-03 07:59:10 - last edited 2020-12-11 04:23:51

Great! This looks simple and doable enough. My follow up question is, if this is scalable? Say, I have a 3rd house with its own ISP and EAP225-Outdoor joining the mesh. How can I make WAN3 when House2's EAP225-Outdoor is already occupied? Will it need another one in House2?

Regards.

Update:

So, I was finally able to finally set up the network above.

Some realizations I got:

- Devices behind the WAN2 will not benefit from the aggregation of the multi-WAN router.

- I would need separate wireless connection (probably need to use CPEs) between the houses to provide downlink directly from ISP1 to the multiWAN router. 

- I am not able to ping devices from WAN2 to either WAN1 or LAN. I've read it has something to do with static routes which I hope someone could assist with.

Nevertheless, thanks.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 339

Replies: 2