AP signal strength optimization

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-05 18:57:29 - last edited 2020-12-07 01:28:55
Model: EAP225-Outdoor  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.7.0

Surveying the signal strength throughout the mesh, it appears to uniformly be about -70. I would think that it should be stronger. 
The other day I wandered around and found that at least 4 APs had that strength.

What prompted me to look was I was trying to set up a MikroTik CPE on one marina tenant's boat. The CPE was able to see the network but it showed the strength to be about -70. The boat is only midway between two APs, each being about 50 tp 60 feet away.I thought this was strange so I went out on the dock and found my reading was about the same.

This got me to wondering why the signal strength was so low.

Haven't heard too many complaints about connectivity, although one tenant, a tech-type person, said he noticed a lot of disconnecting and reconnecting.

Trying to troubleshoot the problem applying optimization methods that I have found in these forums. I realize there are differences in signal strength depending on which way you are looking. Looking from the Omada cloud controller, clients seem to be showing good strength. Looking from the client's perspective, though, is a different story.

I have set static IP's for the APs, reduced Tx power, checked channels so they alternate, and limited channel width to 20MHz.

Options
4 Reply
Re:AP signal strength optimization
2020-12-08 10:53:46

Dear @Byteguy,

Surveying the signal strength throughout the mesh, it appears to uniformly be about -70. I would think that it should be stronger. 
The other day I wandered around and found that at least 4 APs had that strength.

Are you talking about the signal strength showing in the Mesh section from the Controller page? How far are the mesh EAPs away from the root EAP? Could you upload screenshots of the signal strength page for checking?

The EAPs build the mesh connection over 5GHz, the recommended signal of Uplink AP is between -40dBm and -62dBm. If the mesh EAPs are far (>15 meters) from the root AP or there are obstacles between them, you may increase the Tx power for checking.

What prompted me to look was I was trying to set up a MikroTik CPE on one marina tenant's boat. The CPE was able to see the network but it showed the strength to be about -70. The boat is only midway between two APs, each being about 50 tp 60 feet away.I thought this was strange so I went out on the dock and found my reading was about the same.

Is the MikroTik CPE working on 2.4GHz or on 5GHz? Is there any obstacles between the MikroTik CPE and APs?

In addition, do you have any advanced settings configured on the Omada Controller?

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2020-12-08 20:56:36

@Fae When I check MESH tab in the access points, the signal strength between APs is from 50dBm to 61dBm.

I can upload screenshots of these.

I've linked them to the lowest number available. I've had to reconfigure them occasionally when the strength changes, although I have no idea why they would change.

The only thing I've tweaked is limiting the download and upload limit globally to 10240Kbps.

The MikroTik is working on 5GHz. No real obstructions between the MikroTik and the nearest AP.

Options
2020-12-10 17:04:29

@Fae Worked on the problem yesterday. I will probably have to do a site inventory of the entire marina to get an adequate picture of the signal strength.

The MikroTik CPE says it's working on 5GHz.

What I discovered after messing with it for about an hour is that the CPE does see the TP_LInk CPE that is the client CPE getting the signal to the docks. What it is not seeing is any of the mesh. That is totally weird. 

I'm working with a member of the MIkroTik community to determine why this is.

Options
2020-12-10 22:28:11

@Fae I'm still wondering why the signal strength in all the APs seems to be low. When I get within 15 feet of one, it should be strong. Rarely goes better than -60.

As I said, I'll have to go there and generate a heat map and see if it's consistent or if it's only a couple of APs. Most users can connect, so maybe I don't really have a problem!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1102

Replies: 4

Related Articles