OC200 Controller - can't manage all settings on switch/AP

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-06 01:38:17
Model: SG2008P  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.0 Build 20200608 Rel.76470

I have the following setup:

OC200 Controller

TL-SG2008P v1.0 Switch

EAP225(US) v3.0 (AP)

I'm managing switch/AP via controller but switch for examples has lot less options when managing via the controller.

When i try to go directly to the switch I get a message saying:

Switch is being managed by Omada Controller.  If you want to manage the switch in standalone mode, forget the switch from the Omada Controller or reset it.

When i did manage/access the switch in standalone mode, there were lots of options that I don't see using the controller. Am I missing something?  It seems like a bad solution to have to forget the switch from the controller to manage the more advanced setting (e.g. QOS).

Options
9 Reply
Re:OC200 Controller - can't manage all settings on switch/AP
2020-12-07 07:44:27

Dear @rspinell,

When i did manage/access the switch in standalone mode, there were lots of options that I don't see using the controller. Am I missing something? 

The switch in Controller mode has limited functions than in Standalone mode at present.

You can find the functions that can be configured in controller mode from the FAQ below and choose whether to use it in Controller mode.

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2936/

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2020-12-07 11:26:19

@Fae 

Why would you advertise the product can do the following, if you aren't able to get full functionality when its being managed by OC200?

https://www.tp-link.com/us/business-networking/poe-switch/tl-sg2008p/

• Integrated into Omada SDN: Zero-Touch Provisioning (ZTP)**, Centralized Cloud Management, and Intelligent Monitoring.
  • Centralized Management: Cloud access and Omada app for ultra convenience and easy management.

Do you have any switches that are 8 port with POE that can be fully managed by OC200?  If i knew that the TL-SG2008P couldn't be fully managed I wouldn't have bought it.  I don't want to use the product in standalone mode, that is why i bought the OC200.

This is not cool.

Options
2020-12-08 01:30:36

Dear @rspinell,

The product is mainly used in small and medium-sized enterprises, the functions supported in Controller mode can meet the network requirements of enterprise scenarios. For your case, may I know your application scenarios and what functions you are expected when the TL-SG2008P is managed by the Omada SDN Controller?

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2020-12-08 23:16:58
I would expect all functions that are in stand alone mode could also be setup using OC200. Do you have any switches that allow all functions to be set via OC200?
Options
2020-12-09 03:08:49

Dear @rspinell,

I would expect all functions that are in stand alone mode could also be setup using OC200. Do you have any switches that allow all functions to be set via OC200?

Thank you for your kind reply. I'm afraid that it's the same on all other Omada Switches when they are managed via the Omada Controller, the supported functions will be different when the switch is managed in controller mode and in standalone mode. If possible, I'd like to collect the necessary functions to be set via the Omada Controller and then report to the R&D team for further evaluation.

Options
2021-09-13 18:03:39

@Fae Same here, all of the features are expected.
If not then advertice as an Cloud compatible device when it's not.

Options
2021-09-15 07:32:31

Hi @HA4g3n @rspinell 

I don't know if @Fae can or can not confirm my point of view, but if I'm wrong someway, please correct me.

Long story short:

TP-Link has very mature and reliable hardware network products. Each single one alone (usually) do exactly what's someone expect it to do and I believe that everything is exhaustively tested for standards compliance. And they are not expensive.

Nowadays, in most of private and public organizations, the IT/networking needs and requirements to keep organization operations running, makes any sysadmin life miserable and a pain in the ass if one has to setup every single device in each site, building, floor... etc. Also, any switch, router, AP, ... whatever device/product is a simple "consumable" like a ink cartridge or toner.

So, in a network/internet perspective, how to maintain everything working in a organization, whose managers and decision makers usually don't understand nothing about networking but require to mix departments, workers, services, spaces, building management and utilities, just "because"? One solution is SDN. Assuming that most of hardware has more or less same networking capabilities/features. Only the load/performance of the devices may vary.

On top of this mesh of devices, one specify a virtual/logic/abstract network of components of the organization. The switches, routers, AP, controllers just behave in order to comply with that logical networks. QoS? There's no QoS here... because network requirements are all the same withn logic applications.

So why TP-Link advertise a lot of features same time they refer "centralized controller" or "omada"? Because it's true.

"Omada" product it's a "SDN solution", not a centralized proxy for every single webpages for all TP-link products. For those (like me) that would like to have some way to manage our few tp-link devices, "Omada" might not be exactly what we expect.

There's hope! Omada SDN is a java solution, under development right now, and we can only complain and complain to TP-Link to implement more features on controller side, or even better, provide omada services API.

Options
2021-09-15 10:13:37

Dear @JoaoPTaveira,

JoaoPTaveira wrote

"Omada" product it's a "SDN solution", not a centralized proxy for every single webpages for all TP-link products. For those (like me) that would like to have some way to manage our few tp-link devices, "Omada" might not be exactly what we expect.

There's hope! Omada SDN is a java solution, under development right now, and we can only complain and complain to TP-Link to implement more features on controller side, or even better, provide omada services API.

Welcome to share your knowledge on the TP-Link Business Community!

It may be hard to have the Omada Controller support all settings on switch from my point of view. If you find there are some vital features needed to be supported in the SDN solution, please feel free to post your valued feedback with your insights on the block of Requests & Suggestions by Start a New Thread from here.

Regarding the Omada API, there is a simple API version provided in this post earlier, it's not standardized but with which primary information can be obtained. The complete standardized API will be provided after the Omada Controller v5.1 for your reference.

Options
2021-09-15 10:57:03

Dear @Fae,

Thank you very much for the fast reply.

When I mention an API to omada was simply to make a little pression here in the foruns. I'm very pleased to know about the API.

I would love to be Devil's Advocate and check current draft of controller 5.1 API :)

I already check API 3.0 and 4.1.5 drafts. The only thing that I didn't found anywhere but that I think is essential in all APIs is some kind of push messages. The API 3.0 and 4.1.5 only use REST (request/response) and that's not efficient to react and get most accurate/fresh system/platform status overview.

For some time that I design this kind of "stuff" and some pub/sub channel is now a MUST.

Once again, thank you and greetings to all involved on omada initiative for the omada momentum.

BR,

João Pedro Taveira

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1903

Replies: 9

Related Articles