Omada SDN, SNMP or API Write access and how to configure IP interfaces

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-07 16:56:44
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 3.0.6

Hi folks,

I just upgraded my switch to latest firmware and moved into controller mode, so far so good, but the control options are simply not enough yet. Or you know better, hopefully ;-)

TP-Link calls Omada SDN, which should stand in networking for software defined networking. But where is an API? what is the benefit of using contoller mode, other than a single management interface.

What I'm looking for is a method to disable remotely POE on the switch, before I used SNMP, which I can now only use read only. SSH access also does not work any more, only read only. I get why, but there should then at least an API, that allows write access.

So now my questions:

• how can I remotely switch POE, to power off POE devices, other than using the fixed POE schedule?
  • how can I add an IP interface for on switch routing using VLANs and not have to route all traffic between VLAN through my router or firewall?

Any input really appreciated, if some of this is coming along the way, that would be really cool, otherwise I may have to revert back to non controller mode or use a real SDN solution like Cisco Meraki.

Thank you all.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Omada SDN, SNMP or API Write access and how to configure IP interfaces
2020-12-08 09:58:30 - last edited 2020-12-08 09:59:46

Dear @mefromDE,

• how can I remotely switch POE, to power off POE devices, other than using the fixed POE schedule?

You can change the PoE mode to OFF under the Profile Overrides, which can be used to power off the PoE devices accordingly.

Go to Devices -> click the PoE switch -> locate to Ports -> edit Port 1 for example, tick the Profile Overrides to configure PoE mode.

• how can I add an IP interface for on switch routing using VLANs and not have to route all traffic between VLAN through my router or firewall?

Go to Settings -> Wired Networks -> LAN > Networks to create a new LAN where you can add a VLAN Interface to realize inter-VLAN routing. If you want to block the routing between VLANs, you may configure Switch ACL under Network Security -> ACL.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2020-12-08 11:31:46

@Fae thank you for your quick response. When I meant remotly I thought of anything I can autonate like SNMP, API. But not direkt manual web access. So is there any option planned for this in the near future?

Also I cannot add any IP Interface, or what am I doing wrong here, I can only select VLAN:

Options
2020-12-09 02:49:24 - last edited 2020-12-09 02:49:52

Dear @mefromDE,

When I meant remotly I thought of anything I can autonate like SNMP, API. But not direkt manual web access. So is there any option planned for this in the near future?

Got it. Sorry that I misunderstood your questions. I'm afraid that the current Omada’s Software Defined Networking (SDN) platform is not the real SDN solution you are expected, Omada SDN integrates the Omada EAPs, switches and gateways, which helps to create a highly scalable network, all controlled from a single interface. TP-Link team has API document but the API can only view the info such as Clients and Portal, it cannot control access or control path, so I think the answer to the previous two questions is no, there is no such option for the moment. I'll forward this to the product team for further evaluation.

Also I cannot add any IP Interface, or what am I doing wrong here, I can only select VLAN:

Thank you for the info. I realized that it requires an Omada Gateway to add the VLAN Interface.

Update: the product team has a plan to support the L3 Interface of the switch on Omada SDN Controller in the near future.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2020-12-09 07:59:17

@Fae 

Thank you very much. I assume, that if you need a gateway to create the interface, that there is no on switch inter vlan routing, but all traffic is supposed to go to the gateway first, which is sorry for my view, a 20 year old way of routing. But if that is on the roadmap, nice.

for the remote control, I think allowing for experienced users SNMP write access for some OIDs, would be preferable. But I see the problem to loose control of state using SDN controller software.

Anyway I had personally now turned off the switch and using meraki, as it can do what and I customer require.

Hope to see some improvements on the horizon soon.

Thank you very much

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2408

Replies: 4