AC1350 (EAP225)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

AC1350 (EAP225)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
AC1350 (EAP225)
AC1350 (EAP225)
2020-12-07 17:20:46
Model: EAP225  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

I bought the AC1350 to improve wifi coverage in my bungalow with internal brick walls. 

I am dissappointed that the signal strength seems to be weaker that the poor signal from the Virgin Media hub 3.

I have tried placing the EAP in the attic and the range does improve but when using more than 1 device in the same room the signal for some devices seems to to be much weaker than others. This is especially noticable when close to the VM hub.

Is this a setup problem with the EAP225 or is the unit not fit for purpose? Will things improve if I put the VM hub into modem mode or will the EAP no longer receive DHCP?

Any thoghts or advice or should I send the EAP back?

Options
6 Reply
Re:AC1350 (EAP225)
2020-12-08 12:17:17

Dear @Del9999,

I bought the AC1350 to improve wifi coverage in my bungalow with internal brick walls. 

I am dissappointed that the signal strength seems to be weaker that the poor signal from the Virgin Media hub 3.

I have tried placing the EAP in the attic and the range does improve but when using more than 1 device in the same room the signal for some devices seems to to be much weaker than others. This is especially noticable when close to the VM hub.

Where did you install the EAP225, on the ceiling or on the wall? How high is the EAP225 installed?

Would the signal strength be better on the clients such as your cellphone when you stand directly underneath the EAP225?

Here is the coverage of the EAP225 for your reference, 

Is this a setup problem with the EAP225 or is the unit not fit for purpose? Will things improve if I put the VM hub into modem mode or will the EAP no longer receive DHCP?

You may reset the EAP225 by holding the reset hole for about 8 seconds and check if it makes any difference with factory default settings. The EAP225 is just a wireless access point, which cannot replace the router. So it won't work if you put the VM hub into modem mode.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2020-12-09 18:15:35

Hi @Del9999,

Which radio are you using?  2.4GHz or 5.8GHz?  Did your Virgin Media Hub also use the same radio/channel?

Generally speaking Wifi signals, in particular, 5.8GHz, do not penetrate masonry well at all (brick, cinderblock, Paster on wire mesh).

But more often than not, the problem is actually with the return signal strength (or RSSI) coming back from your clients.  These signals are much weaker than those coming from the access point or router.

Unless you can run some Ethernet or use MOCA (multimedia over COAX) or powerline adapters, you may need to move to a higher-end, dedicated MESH solution (Deco, Orbi, Google Wifi, etc.) and just deploy more individual access points to get around your walls.

-Jonathan

Options
2020-12-09 18:30:36

@JSchnee21 

Thanks I am going to try placing the eap225 Inthe loft at the opposite corner of the house from the VM hub and set the ssid and passwords the same. I think this will provide maximum overall coverage and roaming around the house. 

If that doesn't work then I map have to try mesh as power line adapters give poor speeds (old noisy wiring)

Options
2020-12-09 18:33:46

Hi @Del9999,

Yes, sounds good.  You can definitely do as you suggested -- using both devices with the same SSID and password.  Will you run ethernet to the EAP225?

-Jonathan

Options
2020-12-09 18:37:58

@JSchnee21 

Yes cat6 to the eap, approx 15m.

I'll report back after testing.

Options
2020-12-09 18:47:01

Hi @Del9999,

Sounds good.  If it turns out that you like the EAP225, one thing you can consider is just turning off the Wifi on your Virgin Media Center and then get a second EAP225 to serve the Wifi in this area, too.  You'll need to retain the MediaCenter assuming it is providing your firewall, NAT, Routing, and DHCP functions.  But you can potentially turn off its Wifi and use something else instead.

That's what I do.  I have a separate router (which also used to provide Wifi) but I've turned it's Wifi off.

-Jonathan

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1193

Replies: 6

Related Articles