TL-R600VPN: Web Filtering Problem

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-21 03:26:22 - last edited 2021-04-18 10:25:23
Model: TL-R600VPN  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: 4.0.4 Build 20200313 Rel.41831

I am now trying to use TL-R600VPN Web Filtering under Behavior Control to limit one client to be able to access only one or two websites. My problem seems to come down to listing the member(s) in the Web Group. I need the client to be able to access abc.def.com.

Using ping on the client, without R600VPN filtering, I can ping abc.def.com and def.com successfully. When I enter abc.def.com as a member in Web Filtering, I cannot ping def.com as expected, but I also cannot ping abc.def.com. If I change Web Filter Member to def.com, I can ping def.com, but not abc.def.com. If I enter *.def.com as member, I cannot ping either abc.def.com or def.com. With this member (*.def.com), abc.def.com name resolves to an IP address without ping response and def.com does not even resolve to IP address without ping response.

If I just disable Web Filtering on the Web Group Filtering tab, I can ping both websites again.

What am I doing wrong to allow client to only access abc.def.com? Thanks.

Options
2 Reply
Re:TL-R600VPN: Web Filtering Problem
2020-12-25 10:45:19 - last edited 2021-04-18 10:25:23

Dear @urbnsr,

I am now trying to use TL-R600VPN Web Filtering under Behavior Control to limit one client to be able to access only one or two websites.

Did you add a Blacklist rule to block the access to all websites after the Whitelist rule of the specific allowing websites? 

To limit certain clients to be able to access specific websites, here is a configuration example for your reference.

https://www.tp-link.com/us/configuration-guides/configuring_behavior_control/?configurationId=18570#example_for_access_control_3_1

If you still have trouble, please upload some images to show how you configured the Web Filtering.

By the way, the Web Filtering can limit the HTTPS and HTTP connection, and you may clear the DNS cache for checking.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
Re:TL-R600VPN: Web Filtering Problem
2020-12-26 01:23:50 - last edited 2021-04-18 10:25:23

Thanks @Fae,

I tested more today and think I better understand. In my initial tests, I was only using ping to determine state. While I cannot ping after setting filter, I can use a browser to connect to the website and use cli to ftp same site. I just assumes all protocols would pass through if the domain name allowed.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 598

Replies: 2

Related Articles