EAP660HD BSS Coloring OBSS PD Threshold

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-26 19:30:10 - last edited 2020-12-26 19:46:54
Model: EAP660 HD  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: Latest

@Fae and Tp-Link support team,

I am working on a proposal wherein I might need close to 90, 802,11AX APs. I have received few days ago, Qty 1 of EAP660HD and OC300 so I am playing with these.

I am assuming that BSS Coloring is on by default and that will help in deploying these APs in close proximity of each other and using 40MHz channels, in absence of DFS channels in North America, we then have only 4 of 40MHz channels. While background interference because of co-channel does not get mitigated by the BSS coloring, but at least clients don't have to wait for their turn and they can transmit simultaneously  even when they see another transmission happening on the same channel.

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/stories/detail/594

https://www.tp-link.com/ae/omada-wifi6/

The channel scheme shown in the link above for 40MHz channel shows channel 56& 104, which are not available in North America. So I assume, we can choose something like 36, 44, 149 and 157.

My understanding though is that OBSS PD threshold needs to be set to essentially have the clients and APs to known when to ignore the transmissions on co-channel. But there is no such option provided under OC300 / SD Controller. So I assume then that it is set to some fixed value and will like to know what is that value please? I am also concerned that rather than an inverted saucer type of coverage pattern from the EAP / AX APs, APs to AP energy seen coming at even 90 degrees from the bore sight of the AP pointed downward, is significant. And if the APs are deployed mostly in open areas, the co-channel energy seen by APs will be high and there should have been some settings provided to counter it for BSS coloring threshold purposes.

Can you let us know as to what is the fixed threshold used? Hopefully it is not -82dBm and is more like -78dBm for typical use case where my AP to AP separation is close to 60 feet?

In my limited tests with an AP placed 25 foot high facing down, two separate SSIDs (one for 2.4 set to medium power and 20MHz channel, and second for 5Ghz set to high power and 40MHz channel width), throughput at about 30 feet away from the AP boresight is better at 2.4, than at 5GHz SSID.

Another question I have is as to what all features have been implemented so far. Seems like documents talk about MU-MIMO and OFDMA, BSS Coloring, TWT, but can we confirm that both OFDMA as well as MU-MIMO are implemented?

Thanks

Options
8 Reply
Re:EAP660HD BSS Coloring OBSS PD Threshold
2020-12-26 21:56:49

Forgot to add that for BSS coloring to work, the clients need to be Wi-Fi 6.

However, BSS coloring threshold should still be made configurable (if not allowing actual DBm values, it could be some like Low, Moderate, Aggressive) that design and installation engineers can try to see what works best in field at least for AX clients.

And anyone outside of the home (and that too not in condominium / apartment buildings), will not be able to use 80MHz channels or 160MHz for a while unless DFS channels are finally allowed by TP-link.

Options
2021-01-11 15:05:21

@Fae and @jonas 

Anything you can do to get me answer to simple questions on this subject from product engineering / R&D?

Thanks

Options
2021-01-12 11:43:24 - last edited 2021-01-18 09:26:46

Dear @dpsguard,

Anything you can do to get me answer to simple questions on this subject from product engineering / R&D?

Sorry for the delayed reply. I'm afraid that the EAP660HD doesn't support BSS Coloring for the time being, the developer is still optimizing this feature. I suggest you wait and see before you deploy the WiFi6 AP for the feature of BSS Coloring.

Update on this info: 

Double-confirmed with the product engineers, the AX EAP actually supports BSS Coloring, but the threshold is up to the chipset, and we are still waiting for the reply from the chipset vendor.

Regard with MU-MIMO and OFDMA, the EAP660HD supports Downlink MU-MIMO and OFDMA.

Note that the UL(Uplink) MU-MIMO features needs to be enabled by software updates (you may need to wait for the firmware updates for it). And it requires the clients to support OFDMA so that the OFDMA can take effect.

Hope the reply above can answer your concerns.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2021-01-12 11:52:12

Dear @dpsguard

I noticed that there are several identical replies from you, did you get an error of "Server Exception" when you posted them?

I met the same error occasionally, which has been reported to the website developer for checking.

If you met the same thing, please be free to let me know, I could help to delete the identical posts.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2021-01-12 15:58:12

Yes, sorry about the multiple posts. I ran into the Server Exception  issues and thought issues were at my end. It is still happening but I learnt that if I hit submit, and get this error, It will get posted and I should ignore the error. This shoudl be fixed as many others will not realize and like me, will keep hitting submit again and again.

Coming back to my questions, is there any answer to those? I assume the design engineers would have used some OBSS PD  threshold that could be made programmable for better results.

Thanks

Options
2021-01-15 07:20:23

Dear @dpsguard

Yes, sorry about the multiple posts. I ran into the Server Exception  issues and thought issues were at my end. It is still happening but I learnt that if I hit submit, and get this error, It will get posted and I should ignore the error. This shoudl be fixed as many others will not realize and like me, will keep hitting submit again and again.

That's all right, please do not worry, it should be good now.

Coming back to my questions, is there any answer to those? I assume the design engineers would have used some OBSS PD  threshold that could be made programmable for better results.

Yes, I should have replied in one post. Please check the answer in post #8. Thank you!

Options
2021-05-06 20:48:26
ETA on firmware update?
Options
2021-05-15 15:04:55
Its been since 5 months since the first firmware. I'm sure TPLink can do better.
Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 1589

Replies: 8

Related Articles