How to add SG2008 switch to OC200 Controller

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-01-03 10:35:50
Model: SG2008P  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi,

I'm trying to add my SG2008P switch under cloud based controller management, but I can't work out how. I logged into the switch and enabled cloud based controller management. Now when I log into my OC200 controller, the manual says: "click Devices on the side bar and then click Add Devices. Then you can add devices to the controller manually through the serial numbers at the bottom of the product.". But there is no sidebar with an option to Add Devices. Who can help?

Thanks and best

Menno

Options
7 Reply
Re:How to add SG2008 switch to OC200 Controller
2021-01-03 12:39:02

@Menn_o 

Hey

I also have a OC200 and a SG2008P switch, had no issues getting the two pairing.     Log into the controller OC200 via the IP Address 192.168.x.x. whatever it is and you should see a menu like below

under device it should have detected the switch and allow you to adopt it from here. 

If not can you post screenshots of what you are seeing and the software version on the controller?  it needs to be 4.2.4 or later to be able to identify the switch.. 4.2.8 is the latest

You can get this under settings, Maintenance..

Options
2021-01-03 12:40:08
Im also guessing the OC200 is POE powered from the switch? Thats how i have mine setup
Options
2021-01-03 13:08:38

@Philbert 

Yes I'm running the OC200 via the PoE from the switch. But that whole sidebar (with Devices option) is not present on my controller software version. 

My controller is running version 3.2.12 and Firmware 1.2.3 Build 20200430 Rel.52621.

I have downloaded the new firmware, but when I try to install it, it tells me:

Incompatible firmware version 1.7.3 Build 20201119 Rel.63433. If continue with upgrade, the current version, the configurations and data will be lost. Please back up the configurations before upgrading.

That incompatible scares me off, or does it just mean it is not backwards compatible and my site settings will not be maintained? 

Options
2021-01-03 17:52:59

@Menn_o 

Hey. Sorry for slow reply

Yes you will need to update to v4.2.x of the SDN to support the 2008P switch, it literally did not exist when your current version of software was released, this is the reason you are also not seeing the menu bar... v4 is a completely new interface

In relation to the warning, you are correct its just saying it will factory reset the device during upgrade so the current config will be wiped... you should be able to restore from a backup or start fresh if this is a new install.

Do the update and you should be fine, any hassle drop an reply below

Phil

Options
2021-01-03 18:21:32

@Philbert 

Thanks a bunch! I did upgrade the firmware and literally the first thing it asked was to connect/adopt the switch. So now it did find it! Since my network is small it was no issue to re-adopt all the APs and adjust settings. And it also starts to collect all statistics. It didn't show any of that with the previous firmware.

The reason I wanted to adopt the switch was to have easier control. However, the 'native' control of the switch through trh website allows you to do a port diagnostics (by wire pair) and estimate length. But it seems you don't have this feature through the Omada controller :-(. Or did you manage to find it? Point is that I have one Access Point that hardly gets over 100 Mbps download speed, while my internet connection is 250. The other APs do easily reach >200 Mbps. I wanted to verify if this is cable (length) issue or something else. I mounted it to my ceiling which is concrete with rebars, so this may affect it as well. Not sure how to further troubleshoot.

Options
2021-01-03 18:43:20

@Menn_o 

Hey Again

Glad you got sorted, the update is a massive change to the interface but a step in the right direction i feel.

In relation to your question, I am not aware of any way to do this via the SDN.   There are some features not available in the SDN that you will have in the standalone APs, its a bit of a kicker I know but the SDN you are on now is VERY new (-6months) and its likely to be getting new features added quite regularly as it develops.  We are basically still in early days for this.

in relation to the cable testing, have you tried an IPERF3 test along the cable with 2x devices?  this would indicate of you are indeed stuck at slow speeds due to a wiring issue.  If so invest in a cable tester on ebay (literally £5) and this will check the cable for you.  

I take it the AP is reading as 1GBPS on the switch?   What APs are you running?

Options
2021-01-03 18:46:08
P.S the length should not matter, generally Cat5e can support 1gbps upto 100meters (300 feet roughly)
Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 1859

Replies: 7