Wi-Fi peripheral connecting to farthest EAP instead of nearest?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-01-06 14:54:55 - last edited 2021-01-06 19:57:17
Model: EAP225  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 5.0.0 Build 20200918 Rel. 58628

Hello, I use a TP-Link Omada wireless mesh system in my house. I have two EAP225-V3, first one is the root (wired) in the basement, surrounded by concrete walls as well, so I have limited signal on the  and so I installed a second AP on the 2nd floor of my house on the ceiling (it's a 2 stories house), that is currenly mesh-wireless (until I ran an ethernet cable throught the 2 floors).

I just need some help on fine-tuning the roaming of my devices across the 2 APs because actually what I found is that the devices are not following the logic of the nearest access point for an unknown reason. For example I have several ioT devices for home-automation in the basement that are located like 5 feet away from the root EAP but will something switch to the 2nd floor mesh AP which is located like 25 feet away and across 2 floors and several walls... when obviously the signal is much weeker since it's crossing all this! This behavior happens on both 2.4G and 5.0G band, obviously a bit more on 2.4G band because the 5.0G band is very weak on 2nd floor AP when you are sitting in the basement!

I would like to avoid my basement peripherals to connect to 2nd floor AP because for example when my Amazon Echo sound system will roam sometime (not always) from basement AP to 2nd floor AP while I am listening music on Spotify causing the music to "skip" for like 1-2 seconds and it's annoying. Moreover because it's a mesh-wireless AP, the wireless bandwidth served to the peripherals on 2nd floor AP are much more limited than the root AP that is wired to my 1000/1000 MBPS fiber optical internet connection...

Did any advanced settings can be done in my Omada controller to help my peripherals to choose the nearest/strongest AP instead of roaming to the 2nd floor mesh AP for any reason? Obviously I can create a separate SSID for basement AP and 2nd floor AP and then connect manually the peripherals to the nearest AP, but I am looking for a more "elegant" way to do this if possible... 

FYI I have around 50 wireless peripherals where 25 are high bandwidth devices (laptop, smartphone, tablets, gaming console, smart TV, etc.) and 35 are ioT peripherals for home automation and voice assitant such as Google Home and Amazon Echo.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 772

Replies: 0

Related Articles