2x EAP225 V3 - Channel-settings and position in apartment?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-01-07 06:56:39
Model: EAP225  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

Good morning all,
I have 2 questions about the operation of EAP225-V3:

1.)
I've been running an EAP225 on my DSL router (Fritzbox 7390) for a bit longer and very reliably, but after a move, to increase WiFi coverage, I bought a second EAP225. The apartment is about 120m² and the two AP's each provide pretty good coverage.
Both EAP225's are connected directly to the LAN outlets via the PoE adapters. I have given both AP's the same SSID with identical password and have selected channel 1 & 6 for 2.4GHz and channel 36 & 60 for 5GHz. The WiFi of the Fritzbox is disabled.
I have had massive problems with all devices that are supposed to connect to the WiFi network (Samsung S8 & S10, Honor10, 2 Win10 laptops) since this upgrade. The smartphones often switch to the mobile data network despite a good WiFi signal.

I had also already set the same channel in both frequency bands, but that did not bring any change.
Is the operation of 2 EAP225 in this configuration a problem?

2.)
I can't mount the AP's visibly on the ceiling or walls, but have to hide them behind or under furniture at knee height (for optical reasons).
I am aware that this is not optimal, but are there suitable alignments of the AP's for these positions? Better standing up, or perhaps more lying down, facing up or down?

Greetings, Michael

Guten Morgen alle,
ich habe 2 Fragen zum Betrieb von EAP225-V3:

1.)
Ich betreibe schon etwas länger und sehr zuverlässig einen EAP225 an meinem DSL-Router (Fritzbox 7390), habe nach einem Umzug aber, um die WiFi-Abdeckung zu vergrößern, einen zweiten EAP225 gekauft. Die Wohnung ist ca. 120m² groß und die beiden AP's bieten jeweils eine recht gute Abdeckung.
Beide EAP225 sind direkt über die PoE-Adapter an den LAN-Ausgängen angeschlossen. Ich habe beiden AP´s die selbe SSID mit identischem Passwort vergeben und habe für 2,4GHz Kanal 1 & 6 und für 5GHz Kanal 36 & 60 gewählt. Das WiFi der Fritzbox ist deaktiviert.
Ich habe seit dieser Erweiterung massive Probleme mit allen Geräten, die sich mit dem WiFi-Netz verbinden sollen (Samsung S8 & S10, Honor10, 2 Win10-Laptops). Die Smartphones schalten trotz gutem WiFi-Signal häufig auf das mobile Datennetz.

Ich hatte auch schon den selben Kanal in beiden Frequenzbändern eingestellt, was aber keine Änderung brachte.
Ist der Betrieb von 2 EAP225 in dieser Konfiguration ein Problem?

2.)
Ich kann die AP's nicht an der Decke oder an Wänden sichtbar befestigen, sondern muss diese (aus optischen Gründen) hinter oder unter Möbeln in Kniehöhe verstecken.
Mir ist bewusst, dass das nicht optimal ist, aber gibt es für diese Positionen geeignete Ausrichtungen der AP's? Besser stehend, oder vielleicht eher liegend, nach oben oder unten gerichtet?

Grüße, Michael

Options
3 Reply
Re:2x EAP225 V3 - Channel-settings and position in apartment?
2021-01-07 17:52:12

@Michael_M 

Afternoon Michael

The 2x EAP225 APs should work fine in this configuration however they are going to work independantly of eachother, therefore this will leave it to the client to decide what AP it wishes to associate with.    It may be worth you purchasing a OC200 (or setup SDN server on a PC) and manage these device via the SDN, that would allow you to enable load balancing, roaming etc centrally, this is the setup I have and it works well.

In relation to the channels, for 2.4Ghz  I would recommend 1 and 11 to keep these as seperate as possible, this will allow the clients to use 40mhz channels if needed   (1-6 + 7-11)

The 5Ghz, I personally would use 40 and 153.   Channel 60 is a DFS channel and personally I would avoid this unless totally necessary.   Using 40 /153 will allow you 2x full 80mhz channels  (36-48 +  149-161). 

There is some uses that single channel (all APs on one channel) is a good idea, however in your setup and without a controller I would recommend against this.

Ideally these should be either mounted on the ceiling or wall, however I can understand this is not always possible.    The radio tends to work in a 70 degree angle from the sides of the AP.  Signal at the back is weakest.   So ideally the higher off the ground the better, keep the back to a wall (place it against a wall if needed). 

If you can situate these around 1 meter off the floor facing the client (flat logo front) that will help a bit, 2 meter is better, definately dont place these near TVs or other interference and under furniture is a bad idea also.      I have seen people set these in bookshelves if that is possible?     I have seen a lot of people hide them in plain site using cardboard A4 storage boxes as below.  Paper or card should be fine.. plastic wood or metal will have a -Db signal effect

Best luck

Phil

Options
2021-01-08 07:08:10

@Philbert

Good morning Phil,
thank you very much for your detailed answer and the very informative pictures.
I had tried to manage the two AP's with the OC200 some month ago before, but since my knowledge of networking is rather modest, I failed and returned it (my WiFi connected printer was no longer responsive and access to my Synology NAS was not always possible).

I have now changed the channels following your instructions and will try to place the AP's better. I'm not sure if the channels >48 in the 5GHz band are supported by all devices, but will keep an eye on that.

Maybe it is better for people like me to switch to a mesh solution, which then works "idiot-proof" and can be integrated visually better in the apartment.

Regards,
Michael

Options
2021-01-08 09:38:08

@Michael_M 

If you look at the chart below, the 2x green sections are your most common 5Ghz spectrums.. ~40 and 153 as mentioned.   The middle is DFS which is basically radar spectrum but usable for WiFi, however it has different transmit power and isn't fully supported in all countries.  

Anything in the green (~40/153) should be fully supported by all devices as these are universal standards, unless of course these are really old uncommon devices.  

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 987

Replies: 3