R480T+ Load Balancer/Fail over

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-01-12 09:58:06 - last edited 2021-04-18 10:08:05
Model: TL-R480T+  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I am a SOHO user, and currently have a large number of devices on the home network thanks to lockdowns...

I have 2 Broadband connections - 1 for general use, and 1 for work use. The General use one is connected to a TPLink Deco mesh network; the work one has a small wired network to my office.

What I propose to do is to use the R480T+ to load balance these two connections, and then implement some policies to route certain users traffic via a specific link, and all other users via whatever is deemed best. Is this possible with this box? Fundamentally, do the MAC addresses get exposed back to the 480R via the Deco Mesh?

Options
2 Reply
Re:R480T+ Load Balancer/Fail over
2021-01-14 12:12:13 - last edited 2021-04-18 10:08:05

Dear @Iconic,

What I propose to do is to use the R480T+ to load balance these two connections, and then implement some policies to route certain users traffic via a specific link, and all other users via whatever is deemed best. Is this possible with this box? Fundamentally, do the MAC addresses get exposed back to the 480R via the Deco Mesh?

For the first question, you may refer to this guide to configure the Policy Routing function.

For the second question, may I ask what you are trying to achieve? The TL-R480T+ is a NAT router, if it is connected to the Deco which works in Router mode, then you have double NAT in your network. Devices connected to the Deco are unable to communicate directly with the devices connected to the TL-R480T+ router's LAN network.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
Re:R480T+ Load Balancer/Fail over
2021-01-14 13:02:57 - last edited 2021-04-18 10:08:05

@Fae 

Thank you for the response.

I have one set of devices on the Deco Mesh, which I am not worried about double NAT, and they will be routed to whichever connection is best. All these talk to the internet, and occasionally to another device on the Mesh network.

I have a user with a gaming PC who will be worried about double NAT, and he will be routed to the better of the two broadband connections (mainly nocturnal usage). This device has no need to speak to any other device on the network

Would the 480 work?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 471

Replies: 2

Related Articles