Sonos cuts internet speed in half

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-01-22 12:40:01
Model: EAP620 HD  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.1 Build 20200729 Rel. 38407

Hi, I'm having some trouble with the Sonos in my network setup.

I'm really happy with the devices and config options, but I have the feeling I'm missing something. Good to know; all my AP's are connected wired. I'm getting 500mbit wireless in all rooms. My Sonos setup is connected with a (hidden) 2.4GHz SSID. Not configured as a guest network / other vlan or something like that, just a simple seperated SSID which only transmits 2.4GHz.

Case: Sitting on my couch at the livingroom, not streaming music or something like that. I'm getting speedtests around 500mbit easily and stable. However when I start to stream music to one of my Sonos speakers and start the speed test again (same situation), I'm getting speedtest results between 180mbit and 220mbit approx. 

I've also configurated automatic speedtests in Omada every 12 hours, and you can see the exact moments when Sonos is streaming (see attached screenshot).

I can imagine Sonos taking a bit of my internet speed as it has to stream, but I can't imagine it takes/requires 200-300mbit.

Hope you guys have experience in this situation and have tips where to look/what to test.

Thanks in advance!

Network devices:

1x OC200

1x TL-R605 v1.0

1x TL-SG2008P v1.0

2x EAP620 HD(EU) v1.0

1x TL-SG1005P

1x TL-SG105

Some of my configuration which might be relevant:

Services

LED: Enabled

Automatic Upgrades: Disabled

Channel Limit: Disabled

Mesh: Enabled

Auto Failover: Disabled

Connectivity Detection: Auto (Recommended)

Full-Sector DFS: Enabled

Periodic Speed Test: Enabled

Speed Test History

Speed Test Interval: 12 hours

Alert Emails: Disabled

Remote Logging: Disabled

Advanced Features: Enabled

Fast Roaming: Enabled

Dual Band 11k Report: Enabled

Force-Disassociation: Enabled

Band Steering: Enabled

Connection Threshold: 30

Difference Threshold: 4

Maximum Failures: 5

Beacon Control

Beacon Interval: 100ms

DTIM Period: 1

RTS Threshold: 2347

Fragmentation Threshold: 2346

Airtime Fairness: disabled

Options
2 Reply
Re:Sonos cuts internet speed in half
2021-01-28 08:09:05

Does anyone have any idea why this is or having a comparable/similair situation?

Options
Re:Sonos cuts internet speed in half
2021-01-29 07:53:05

Dear @Livonias,

Case: Sitting on my couch at the livingroom, not streaming music or something like that. I'm getting speedtests around 500mbit easily and stable. However when I start to stream music to one of my Sonos speakers and start the speed test again (same situation), I'm getting speedtest results between 180mbit and 220mbit approx. 

Do you start the speed test on the wireless client like a cellphone? Would it make any difference if you connect to a different EAP to start the speed test? For example, the Sonos speaker is connected to EAP1, when you start to stream music, you connect the cellphone to EAP2 and start the speed test for checking, do you get the same results?

I've also configurated automatic speedtests in Omada every 12 hours, and you can see the exact moments when Sonos is streaming (see attached screenshot).

I can imagine Sonos taking a bit of my internet speed as it has to stream, but I can't imagine it takes/requires 200-300mbit.

Have you checked the wired internet speed from the LAN network? If you hardwire a PC to the LAN port of TL-R605 router via Ethernet cable, start speed test on the PC for checking, what results would you get when the Sonos is streaming (or NOT streaming)?

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 846

Replies: 2