EAP245 failed to get IP address

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-01-25 02:09:11 - last edited 2021-01-26 05:38:08
Model: EAP245  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

Hi

New to WAP

I have the EAP245 with POE plugged into a PowerLine Adapter in an outbuilding.  I can see the TP-Link available but when I try to connect with a tablet or laptop it says "failed to get IP Address".

I have done the following troubleshooting:

In the house I plugged the EAP/POE directly into my modem and I can connect to the TP-Link no problem.

In the house I plug a PowerLine adapter in an outlet.  I plug the modem into that PowerLine adapter via Ethernet cable.  I plug a Second PowerLine adapter in an outlet in another room of the house. I plug the EAP/POE into the second PowerLine adapter via Ethernet cable.  I can connect to the TP-Link no problem with a tablet or laptop.  So I know that the EAP245 can work through PowerLine adapters.

In the outbuilding I plug the PowerLine adapter in an outlet.  I connect the laptop directly to the PowerLine adapter via ethernet cable.  I have a LAN connection to the laptop no problem.

The problem occurs when I connect the EAP/POE into the PowerLine adapter exactly like I did in the house.  I get the error "failed to get IP address".  I know that the signal from the modem reaches that outbuilding because I can connect directly to it from the Laptop via ethernet cable into the PowerLine adapter.

How do I fix the failed to get IP address ?  Thank you

Options
2 Reply
Re:EAP245 failed to get IP address
2021-01-29 08:02:41

Dear @Soph,

The problem occurs when I connect the EAP/POE into the PowerLine adapter exactly like I did in the house.  I get the error "failed to get IP address". 

Are you using the original PoE adapter to power up the EAP245? If you replace the EAP with your laptop, hardwire the laptop to the powerline adapter via the same Ethernet cable, what IP address would you get? How to find IP address of your computer

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
Re:EAP245 failed to get IP address
2021-01-29 23:28:47
Fae, thank you for trying to help. In the process of getting the IP like you asked, I tried my setup of the Trendnet powerline adapter, POE, EAP and laptop and tablet in the stable which is closer to the house (modem is in house). The WAP successfully worked in the stable . When I tried the exact same setup in the workshop, which is electricaly further away from the house than the stable, I was not successful. Further investigation with just the trendnet Powerline Extender and the laptop connected to network with ethernet cable revealed that when power tools on the same electrical circuit than the Trendnet is used, the Trendnet loses the connection. When the laptop power cord is plugged in the same outlet as the Trendnet, the network connection also goes down. So we have an issues with the distance of the Trendnet from the house and we have electrical interference. The signal must me too weak for the POE/EAP to work.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 972

Replies: 2