Too fanatic roaming: devices switch each 10 seconds

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Too fanatic roaming: devices switch each 10 seconds

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
17 Reply
Re:Too fanatic roaming: devices switch each 10 seconds
2021-02-05 07:19:43

@symbiotic_ic Looks like roaming between 2.4G and 5GHz (channel 11 and 48). Do you've band steering enabled? I didn't, maybe that's giving the issues you see.

Options
2021-02-05 08:39:01

@WilcoV 

Thank you for the suggestion.  No, I don't have band steering enabled, but that's a good observation.  But I think @Fae believes my issue is simply the same as this one.

Options
2021-02-05 08:41:23

Dear @Fae,

It's a different problem, has been discussed here.

Thank you for your response.  I'm glad that my problem isn't a new issue then.

Options
2021-02-20 14:53:45 - last edited 2021-02-20 14:54:57

@Philbert  @symbiotic_ic @Fae issue has been solved. My EAP245 were mounted to the wall, and now on the ceiling. The coverage is much better right now. It's still strange that a device switches so fast if it sees more than 1 good AC.

See also https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/159755

Thanks for your help

Options
2021-02-22 11:29:41

@WilcoV 

Hey

Can I just confirm that it was the orientation (Wall vs Ceiling) that caused the roaming?  Did this decrease once ceiling mounted?  Apart from logs filling, did it cause any issues or effects on the client?

Only ask as about to add a 3rd AP and its going to be Wall mounted, others are ceiling.

Options
2021-02-23 11:36:07
- Yes, only change was wall to ceiling, and due to this a relocation of few meters - logs entries decreased enormously, but it's not gone - devices worked well all the time, also in the "wall mount period" So, it was good, it is good, and looks better right now
Options
2021-02-23 21:41:16

@WilcoV 

One fun thing about WiFi is that the client gets to decide when to roam.  iPhone roaming is a science.  Fortunately for us, it is a pretty well documented science.  I would point you towards Apple's own write-up on the topic.

As a side note, I would recommend you consider turning down your power on your APs.  A conversation is no good when one person is shouting (the AP), and the other is whispering (the iPhone).  I'd recommend 16dBm for iPhone compatibility based deployments.  There are a lot of articles explaining why.

Options
Related Articles