TL-R605 for connection to Subscription VPN using Omada Controller

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-01-31 23:35:57 - last edited 2021-01-31 23:37:04
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.0 Build 20200930 Rel.36519

Hello all,

I would like to configure my TL-R605 such that it acts as a VPN client for all devices on the network, or if possible, by VLAN. I am presently using the TL-R605 as a router to connect to my ISP using PPPoE. I am a beginner at VPN technologies and midly familiar with network configuration.

I am connecting to Private Internet Access and would like to place all my devices on the VPN so that it always connected for all VLANs (at this time).

I've downloaded the OpenVPN files from their site, uploaded/imported them to the VPN section as a Client-to-Site VPN (VPN Client - OpenVPN). The port is TCP 502.

I am at a loss of what I should be doing next. My public IP is still that from my ISP, so it doesn't look like the VPN is connected. In fact, I am not sure how this would work or if I would need to physically have another TL-R605 dedicated to VPN connections (as opposed to doubling as a connection to my ISP).

Am I doing something wrong or are there other steps that I should be following?

Options
6 Reply
Re:TL-R605 for connection to Subscription VPN using Omada Controller
2021-02-05 09:38:42

Dear @Natrodivdose,

I am at a loss of what I should be doing next. My public IP is still that from my ISP, so it doesn't look like the VPN is connected. In fact, I am not sure how this would work or if I would need to physically have another TL-R605 dedicated to VPN connections (as opposed to doubling as a connection to my ISP).

Here is a setup video for your reference.

How to configure Client to Site OpenVPN on TP-Link Omada SDN Controller

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2021-02-20 15:48:51
I'm in the same position, and this has not helped. Any further information on this? there is no where to enter the user credentials of OVPN. I'm using NordVPN
Options
2021-02-22 07:55:16

Dear @russ54g,

there is no where to enter the user credentials of OVPN. I'm using NordVPN

Check this thread for your reference.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2021-05-20 23:30:33

@Fae This video has nothing to do with configuring the router as an OpenVPN Client. It's about configuring it as an OpenVPN Server, which is irrelevant. Where can we find information about configuring the router as a VPN Client, and forwarding all outbound traffic through that VPN connection?

Options
2021-05-23 16:34:59

@Zaccone I've been searching for the same info. You would think this would be simple for a router that supports OpenVPN Client natively but I can't find any examples of this being done and none of the major VPN Services claim to support the ER605. I'm contemplating starting a trial offer to get an account with a service that will list their server's IP address (ExpressVPN won't) so that I can dabble with creating a router profile. I think that is what the OP did but without followup, I can't tell if he succeeded.

Options
2021-05-26 23:08:06

I've been scouring a wide range of subscription VPN services and have come across BulletVPN. It looks like they can support the R605 as a PPTP client. Does anyone have any experience with Bullet or opinion on PPTP. This protocol only uses 128-bit encryption but is it better than nothing at this point?

(If the OP or moderator considers this a potential hijack, I can start a new thread.)

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 4807

Replies: 6