EAP245v3 with Arris/technicolor XB6

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-02-07 15:19:44 - last edited 2021-02-07 15:27:11
Model: EAP245  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 2.1.0 Build 20181107 Rel. 39421

Hello everyone, 

I was wondering if anyone got their EAP245 v3 (or similar) working with the arris or technicolor XB6? 

I recently changed my internet service because it made sense money wise and I got a faster connection (400 Mbps compared to 100 which I had). But as soon as I connected my Poe switch (which is connected to my 2x EAP245) to the ethernet port of the XB6 (essentially a swap from my old router to the XB6) my EAPs aren't working. 

I'm getting 2 Mbps on speed test. Or if I connect my eap 245 directly to the PC (ethernet) , I get full speed but then something happens to my XB6 and it just gets unstable and I essentially need to restart it to get its own wifi capability back. 

To make a point clear, I don't think there's anything wrong with the EAP 245s that I got. They were working fine, all they are getting their is their ethernet signal from a new box instead of my old router. But I may be wrong, maybe my current configuration need to be adjusted to the new device. 

I think there's something wrong with the XB6's configuration that I need help with. So I'm asking anyone who got their APs connected to an XB6 type modem/router device. Again unless you think I need to configure my EAPs differently? 

XB6 is running in gateway mode. I didn't switch it to bridge mode because I don't have a separate router anymore. I read that if I switch to it to bridge mode it stops working as a router and acts as a modem only. So currently I have it set to gateway mode. 

Please assist and thank you for the help in advance! 

Options
3 Reply
Re:EAP245v3 with Arris/technicolor XB6
2021-02-13 07:47:58

Dear @Jmusic88,

I think there's something wrong with the XB6's configuration that I need help with. So I'm asking anyone who got their APs connected to an XB6 type modem/router device. Again unless you think I need to configure my EAPs differently? 

Ensure the XB6 works as a router and the router works properly, you may disconnect the EAP, and hardwire a PC instead to the XB6 for test, verify the PC can access Internet and the XB6 still works in the same connection.

By the way, your EAP245 is running a very old firmware, you may check the firmware and upgrade it for a try.

https://www.tp-link.com/support/download/eap245/#Firmware

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2021-02-13 17:13:46 - last edited 2021-02-13 17:15:44

@Fae 

Good day Fae,

This is what I have done so far:

- Tested the EAP245 with the XB6 while the wifi SSIDs are disabled on the XB6. (most I could do as a "router mode", there are not many options in the gateway settings. But that is what I exactly did with my old wifi router. I just disabled wifi. Keep in mind that XB6 does have hidden SSIDs that I cannot disable).

- Direct connection between XB6 and my PC (using Poe switch or not). I get full speed.

- Direct connection between XB6 and my OLD laptop. I do not get full speed at all. During speed test, it jumps to around 20 Mbps and immediately starts going down to 0 mbps. This is the exact behavior that I get when I connect my EAPs to the XB6 (through PoE switch).

- Removed my 1 EAP245 from the software controller, and configured it as a stand alone AP. Same issues as above. (limited connection).

- Regarding my direct connection to my old laptop. My old laptop was used as a software controller server. With my old router, direct connection (Ethernet) would get my good speeds. But now, connecting it to the XB6, it limits its speed just like my EAPs. I am wondering if because my laptop is "old technology" that this new XB6 is not working with it well.

- I have not updated the firmware on the EAP245, I agree. But because I never had any issues with it and I did not have to. I had it configured (2 of them) to my software controller on my laptop. So i figured that if I just swap my old router, 1 for 1, with the XB6 it would just work. But obviously it did not. Do you think that updating firmware would actually fix the problem? I will attempt to do it when I get the time this weekend, but just the way the behavior is with my old laptop even, I am doubtful that the EAP would start working.

Basically what I am noticing is that the behavior on my old laptop and EAPs are the same. XB6 limits the connection. P.S. with my newer laptop, post 2010s, Ethernet connection works and I get full speed.

Thank you for your response!

Options
2021-02-18 10:30:45

Dear @Jmusic88,

- Regarding my direct connection to my old laptop. My old laptop was used as a software controller server. With my old router, direct connection (Ethernet) would get my good speeds. But now, connecting it to the XB6, it limits its speed just like my EAPs. I am wondering if because my laptop is "old technology" that this new XB6 is not working with it well.

It could be possible since the new XB6 provides you higher bandwidth than before and the other PC can get full speed from the XB6. Maybe the network adapter on the old laptop is not able to handle the current high bandwidth, you may need to update the driver of the old laptop if there is one available for your old laptop.

- I have not updated the firmware on the EAP245, I agree. But because I never had any issues with it and I did not have to. I had it configured (2 of them) to my software controller on my laptop. So i figured that if I just swap my old router, 1 for 1, with the XB6 it would just work. But obviously it did not. Do you think that updating firmware would actually fix the problem? I will attempt to do it when I get the time this weekend, but just the way the behavior is with my old laptop even, I am doubtful that the EAP would start working.

I cannot confirm that updating firmware can fix the problem, but sometimes a firmware update does solve some abnormal issues.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 581

Replies: 3