Client devices are connecting to farther AP instead of nearby AP

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-02-10 08:06:38
Model: EAP115-Wall  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 5.0.0 Build 20200914 Rel. 52854

Hi,

I am having problem with EAP115 access points. There are 7 APs altogether and managed through Omada Software Controller. The issue I am facing is that most of the time the client devices are connecting to the APs which are far away instead of the nearby AP. What could be the cause? Is there any setting that need to be done in order to fix this issue?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Options
7 Reply
Re:Client devices are connecting to farther AP instead of nearby AP
2021-02-10 10:51:26

@UGF 

Whats the distance between the APs?

Options
2021-02-10 11:56:37

@rjow2021 

4 APs are on ground floor and 3 on first floor. Distance between APs is roughly 15-20 meters and there are approx. 40 devices connecting to APs.

Options
2021-02-10 12:17:34

@UGF 

Brick or cavity walls?

You might just need to adjust the power output of the APs. You can do that from Devices > Click on the Device > Config > Radios.

Also I have "Fast roaming" enabled, Settings > scroll down to "Advanced Features".

Options
2021-02-11 09:18:14

@rjow2021 

Thanks for your reply.

I have enabled Fast Roaming but it is still same. These are brick walls and APs are mounted in different rooms but it is not about the signal strength, the issue is that devices randomly connect to far away APs whereas there is a nearby AP available.

"You might just need to adjust the power output of the APs. You can do that from Devices > Click on the Device > Config > Radios.

Under "Radios" I found this option -> Tx Power (EIRP) .......... and it is set to "High".

Options
2021-02-13 06:24:37

Dear @UGF,

Try the following suggestions and see if it helps.

• Lower Tx power by 2 dBm each time for checking. 

In the actual wireless environment, if the distance between adjacent AP is much close(less than 15 meters), it’s recommended to decrease the Tx power for reducing the wireless interference.

• Set the RSSI Threshold in both EAP's configuration menu under Advanced → Load Balance. 

When the clients' signal is weaker than the RSSI Threshold you've set, the clients will be disconnected from the EAP. If you don't know how to select the proper RSSI Threshold, try -70dBm ± 3dBm for tests.

By the way, kind note that the EAP115-Wall doesn't support fast roaming feature. For more information about fast roaming, please click here.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2022-02-13 20:32:24

Did we ever get a solution to this? I have a couple of devices which are Co stantly connecting to an AP which is farrrr away (weakest possible signal) instead of the AP which is about 2 metres away.  Driving me mad..  Omada doesn't seem to have a way of forcing a device to connect to a specific ap. 

Options
2022-05-11 18:36:35

@thefunkygibbon I'm having the exact same problem.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2408

Replies: 7