No client Internet access - OpenVPN client to site

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-02-10 16:41:00

Good afternoon,

We have an installation done with a router TL-R605, OC-200 Omada controller and switches/EAP all connected to Omada.

I have created a VPN connection cliente to site with OpenVPN and it allows me to access to site netwrokf from client but not to have internet access from the client.

In Omada menu there is no option of  "Internet and home network Client Access" as it seems to appear in router menu when it is not addotped by Omada Controller.

What should I do for having internet access from the client? Solution cannot be to have access to internet directly from the client.

Thank you very much in advance!

Best regards,

Pepe8266

Options
10 Reply
Re:No client Internet access - OpenVPN client to site
2021-02-19 07:09:29

Dear @Pepe8266,

I have created a VPN connection cliente to site with OpenVPN and it allows me to access to site netwrokf from client but not to have internet access from the client.

In Omada menu there is no option of  "Internet and home network Client Access" as it seems to appear in router menu when it is not addotped by Omada Controller.

What should I do for having internet access from the client? Solution cannot be to have access to internet directly from the client.

Sorry for the delayed response. I'm afraid that the Open VPN of Omada gateway TL-R605 doesn't support Full tunnel at the time being, it only supports Split tunnel, which only allows the clients to access the local network resources via VPN connection, while clients accessing the internet will be routed through the local gateway.

May I know your network topology and application scenario? Is it for home use or business use? Is it necessary to have the OpenVPN work in Full tunnel for "Internet and home network client access"?

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2021-02-20 15:42:48

I would also like to use a client to site OVPN connection on my R605.  I would like to assign a connection to a seperate VLAN connecting to my NordVPN account to ensure privacy for specific applicaitons.  

At the moment, i cnanot add user credentials for OVPN, and thus cannot get any kind of connection.  Anyone know how to resolve this?  I assume we will also need full tunnel

Options
2021-03-13 18:05:55

@Fae 

Fae wrote

Dear @Pepe8266,

Sorry for the delayed response. I'm afraid that the Open VPN of Omada gateway TL-R605 doesn't support Full tunnel at the time being, it only supports Split tunnel, which only allows the clients to access the local network resources via VPN connection, while clients accessing the internet will be routed through the local gateway.

May I know your network topology and application scenario? Is it for home use or business use? Is it necessary to have the OpenVPN work in Full tunnel for "Internet and home network client access"?

I am also very interested on this..

I currently have a vlan set as interface with its own subnet and I also created a wireless network that uses that vlan subnet. What I want is to setup Omada controlled router so it can allow devices connected to that wireless network to only access the internet through the OpenVPN server that i own somewhere else:

Device -> Wiresless VPN SSID -> TL-R605 Omada Router (Contoller adopeted) -> Custon OpenVPN server (VPS outside)

OpenVPN works from any other computer if I configure it directly on that computer. But, when I create the VPN policy and all is set, accessing the internet from any device connected to Wireless network subnet set on the VPN policy goes through the regular internet gateway, does not use the OpenVPN server. 

Any ideas? May a routing table or something?

Options
2021-03-18 14:17:21

@Fae 

I'd also like a full tunnel (honestly, I would think that's the only way to go as I had that functionality for years in other routers). My main reason is using IPTV from abroad. When I'm on holidays or abroad for work, I used the VPN service on my previous router to access IPTV as if I were home. It's IP-based/geo-locked by my ISP. Additionally, it prevents malicious clients on hotel networks (not all are properly secured) to intercept any sensitive data over the local gateway (passwords, sites visited, any info that can be exploited)

I always check established vpn connections with something like whatsmyip.org to see if I'm browsing via my home ISP or not.

Better yet would be to have full control on the openvpn server settings if wanted/needed (set higher/other encryption, push redirect-gateway or not, use custom certificates etc. So a basic setting like we have now that works out of the box (but preferably with a higher security level via full tunnel), or an advanced one for those that want/need it.

Kind regards,

T

TL-R605 | OC200 | TL-SG2008P | EAP660 HD
Options
2021-04-05 19:56:42

I'm also interesting in. 

My main reason to install the Omada system was the OpenVPN server.

Now it turns out that it does not fully function as an internet gateway.
I am often abroad and would like to access VOD from my home country.

sad

Options
2021-06-12 19:03:10

I'm really looking forward to it too.

I suppose that many who have purchased this router for use at home expect this opportunity.

Options
2021-07-15 01:12:00
This is a very important functionality missing from the OpenVPN server solution provided by Omada that is not described on the specs of the products being sold on many of your sites. It is even difficult to find this out from the information available in your website. I find this type of oversight very lacking. I would have not purchased these products (Gateway TL-R605, or any of the TP-link controllers and APs that I acquired) if I knew this before hand. Not happy at all on this matter. Not to mention the multiple bugs I have encountered when using this solution, and the fact that Omada seems to be lacking in many other services features.
Options
2021-07-30 18:38:10

I tried to set the Client to Site OpenVPN up, like i used it on my Synology router. I thought this was "basic" functionality in a router like this.

Just like the firewall that's not present yet. Too bad for me that the coinflip went to TP-Link and not to Ubiquity. Now i'm getting annoyed for choosing TP-Link when seeing things like this.

I'm not advertising the Omada stuff to someone else right now, when it is still crippled. 

Please add these basic functionality to this "enterprise" hardware. Just like a decent firewall. I hope the emotional bucket will not overflow, otherwise i will use some other brand next year. 

Options
2021-09-21 12:04:44

@Pepe8266 

It same problem.

First .... I installed the TL-ER605 router, but not have Open VPN.

I tried. Installed the OC-200 Omada controller, but not full VPN.

But the Synology NAS DS120j has done.

Why?
Options
2021-10-12 00:45:04
Adding my 2 cents as well. I wanted this functionality as well. But I don't see any time line for the implementation. So I have purchased a UBIQUITI EDGEROUTER X SFP. I wish I had brought this in the first place. ER605 will be the poor backup.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3554

Replies: 10

Related Articles