OC200 and EAP225 Outdoor Mesh Home Installation Help

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-02-11 04:48:37 - last edited 2021-02-16 08:06:46
Model: OC200  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: 1.7.3

I recently purchased an OC200 (Version: 4.2.8 and Firmware 1.7.3) and two EAP225 Outdoor (V1.0 and Firmware 1.7.0) with the intent of creating a mesh network that would reach my detached garage. The plan is to connect the Root AP to my router via cat 5 and mount the AP on the back patio. I would then install the next AP in the garage creating a mesh network.

I can't seem to get the select a "Root-AP" for the EAP225 I currently have connected by ethernet and the other device does not go into a suspended status when I disconnect it after setting it up and only see "heartbeat missed" instead. Then after a few minutes it says disconnected.

Am I missing something here? Am I required to have a swtih like in the user guide diagram? That seems like overkill for a simple home network. I feel like I read the user guide front to back, but for some reason it is not working.

I am using the cloud configuration tool to setup the OC200.

Options
5 Reply
Re:OC200 and EAP225 Outdoor Mesh Home Installation Help
2021-02-11 05:21:10 - last edited 2021-02-16 08:06:46

Ok now that I am looking into this more I feel like there may be a better solution out there by using the N300 5GHz. One mounted on the house roof pointed towards the garage (100 Ft away) then another mounted on the roof of the garage. An ethernet cable through the roof to a an AP in the garage. Oh so confused now. Would I need the OC200 and EAP225 anymore? Any help is appreciated!

Options
2021-02-15 18:18:26 - last edited 2021-02-16 08:06:46

@Teks

As far as know, any EAP access point that is connected via Ethernet is a "root AP" possibility.

The ones that I set up as mesh I set up first as regular wired AP's, made sure the channel select was set to "auto" (the hard wired ones are manually set so they stay put).  Then I unplugged Ethernet from the one intended to be "mesh" and it wound up being found within a couple of minutes.  It automatically connects to the strongest AP that is still plugged into Ethernet.

Make sure the "mesh" option is turned on. It is on by default btw.

Options
2021-02-18 11:10:31

Dear @Teks,

If you still have trouble building the EAP mesh network, please check if this guide could help.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2021-03-03 18:38:07 - last edited 2021-03-06 18:13:41

@Fae the one thing left out of the guide, which I believe is important, is to set the mesh only clients to auto channel select. It is best to have the wired client channels manually configured. Otherwise, it could turn in to a giant game of a cat chasing his tail.

This Saturday I went out to my greenhouse with an EAP225 and a POE injector. I have 3 hard wired EAP225's already installed at mu house, and the mesh option in the controller is turned on.

The greenhouse EAP225 I had just done a factory reset on. I plugged it into the POE injector and the OC200 AP on my cell phone told me within a minute or so that there was an Access Point looking to be adopted. I told it to adopt the access point, and about a minute later it was up and running with no more effort on my part.

Options
2021-03-06 18:19:59

While the TP-Link web site actually mentions using aftermarket antennas (shows pictures of what are probably Alfa 15 dB omni's, there it no detailed information anywhere that I can find.

Most high gain antennas are single band.   My plan right now is to use a could of duplexers, one on each antenna connection, to split the signal of each antenna connection to it's own 15 dBi Omni, one for 2.5 and one for 5 Ghz.  The antenna pairs will be abot a foot apart to offer some degree of diversity reception.

However, this is a sort of an extremely elegant solution.

There are two antenna ports.  There are other options... for instance, can one connect a 2.5 Ghz antenna to one port and a 5 Ghz antenna to the other and avoid the use of 2 pairs of antennas and a pair of $90 each Duplexers?    I would love some details on what's actually going on inside the radio with respect to the dual antenna connectors.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1200

Replies: 5

Related Articles