Stuck in the middle of Omada migration, help!

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-02-15 21:16:49 - last edited 2021-02-23 10:01:25
Model: EAP225  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

Sorry for the crosspost fromm the General Discussion, but I'm unsure as to which forum this belongs in. Mods please feel free to delete whichever one is in the wrong forum.

I'm in the middle of migrating my 3 EAP225's from a Windows-based Omada 3.2.10 controller to a new install of version 4.2.11 running in a Docker container.  I've backed up the current site and succesfully restored it to the new one, but when I go to migrate the AP's, the new site says disconnected for all 3, when I click the little red exclamation mark on the AP, it says the device is not compatiable, to manage it I have to upgrade it first.  I've read the migration guide and it says that in order to be managed by Omada 4, the AP's must be at the latest firmware, but if I upgrade them the old site cant manage them.  I tested this by upgrading 2 of the 3 AP's to the latest firmware through the current site.  They upgraded fine and show as connected in the current site, but now the existing site cant see anything about them or manage them, and the new site shows them as disconnected.  If I re-run the migration process, the new site sees all 3, but they still show as disconnected, even though it is now picking up the fact that they are at the latest firmware. 

What do I do now? 

At the moment I've cancelled the migration and am sitting with 2 AP's at firmware 5.0.0 Build 20201016 Rel. 39324, and one AP at 2.7.0 Build 20200113 Rel. 38287, all managed by the 3.1.2 site.

Help!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Stuck in the middle of Omada migration, help!-Solution
2021-02-22 14:27:55 - last edited 2021-02-23 10:01:25

Just to close out this thread.  After creating a new Docker container using host networking, I re-ran the migration steps and everything worked perfectly.  All 3 AP's were discovered, the two that had been upgraded were adopted right away, and the one that hadn't been upgraded was able to be upgraded through the new portal.  The only issue was that all devices lost connectivity to the new site for a while, which had me frantically going through the settings to see if I had missed something, but eventually all devices connected and everything is working well.

Recommended Solution
Options
6 Reply
Re:Stuck in the middle of Omada migration, help!
2021-02-15 22:14:16 - last edited 2021-02-23 10:01:25

@Johnster001 

After restoring the backup into the new Omada 4.2.11 and got red message on your EAPs,

you have to upgrade manually them clicking each EAP and doing a custom upgrade with latest fw (v 5.0).

Best Regards

Options
2021-02-15 22:29:24 - last edited 2021-02-23 10:01:25

@Emitplink 

Hi, thanks for the response. I have upgraded 2 of them, but they still show as disconnected in the new site, also, if I use the backup from the old site, they appear in the new site but still show the old FW version, even after I tell the old site to migrate them. At the moment, I have 2 at V5, and one at V3, the new site shows disconnected on all 3, whereas the old site shows as connected on all 3, but cant manage the 2 upgraded ones.

Options
2021-02-15 22:33:39 - last edited 2021-02-23 10:01:25

@Johnster001 

The upgrade you had to do in the new version non in the previous one.

Btw, you can hardware reset the device? if yes the EAP V5 are going in pending state and the v2 you have to upgrade manually.

Best Regards

Options
2021-02-16 13:29:57 - last edited 2021-02-23 10:01:25

@Emitplink 

I think I figured out what was wrong.  I found a note in the documentation for the docker container that bridge networking wont work as AP's wont be discovered, so I've re-created the container with host networking, but I haven't re-tried the migration as I cant interrupt the WiFi right now.  For the two AP's that I have manually upgraded to V5, will I need to manually reset them for them to migrate to the new site?  For one that won't be a big deal as it's easily accessible, but for the other I'll need to get the ladder out as it's 20 feet off the ground.  

Options
Re:Stuck in the middle of Omada migration, help!-Solution
2021-02-22 14:27:55 - last edited 2021-02-23 10:01:25

Just to close out this thread.  After creating a new Docker container using host networking, I re-ran the migration steps and everything worked perfectly.  All 3 AP's were discovered, the two that had been upgraded were adopted right away, and the one that hadn't been upgraded was able to be upgraded through the new portal.  The only issue was that all devices lost connectivity to the new site for a while, which had me frantically going through the settings to see if I had missed something, but eventually all devices connected and everything is working well.

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-02-23 08:54:27 - last edited 2021-02-23 10:01:25

Dear @Johnster001 

For the two AP's that I have manually upgraded to V5, will I need to manually reset them for them to migrate to the new site?  For one that won't be a big deal as it's easily accessible, but for the other I'll need to get the ladder out as it's 20 feet off the ground.  

There is another way to reset the EAP, hope the answer below can help you in the future.

If the EAP is managed by the Omada Controller, we can also reset it from the controller page by the "Forget" option.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1528

Replies: 6