Mesh with LAN with EAP 245 and other

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-02-17 11:40:27 - last edited 2021-02-18 00:58:31
Model: EAP245  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: latest

I want to mesh with a EAP245 other EAPs like EAP245 or EAP221. Can this be done over LAN instead of WiFi. The FAQ examples show only mesh over WiFI what would reduce the bandwith of the WiFi.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Mesh with LAN with EAP 245 and other
2021-02-17 13:01:39 - last edited 2021-02-18 00:58:31

@ibrel 

Hey

You can indeed accomplish what you are after, namely "mesh" 2x 245s

Just to be clear the term MESH simply means 2x or more nodes / APs talking to each other and sharing SSIDs, Roaming info etc..

To do this with 2x 245s I would recommend you get a controller online, you can either free download this from TPLink and run on a PC/server    or    purchase an OC200 for around £50/$65   -  personally I would go the OC200 running SDN version 4.2.8 or newer (that is what I have at home).  

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/business-networking/omada-sdn-controller/oc200/

Connect this controller to the same switch as your 2x APs and adopt them (manage them by the controller).  Under controller setting enable FAST ROAMING  (802.11k/v)  then setup your SSIDs as you need via the controller.   

The 2x APs will talk to the controller and as long as you have FAST ROAMING enabled the controller will roam your devices as required.   This will in all reality create you a 'mesh' network, with all the advantages one would expect.   As you have a controller there is also some extra features there too.

Options
2021-02-17 13:10:09 - last edited 2021-02-18 00:58:31

Also for future reference, you may be better asking EAP245 questions in the business forums as these are primarily business devices.

Options
2021-02-18 23:39:16

???  This is the business Wifi forum.

Also, just to be clear, in TP-Link Business EAP speak.  MESH actually refers to a specific application of wireless backhaul functionality.  Aka connecting one EAP (like an EAP245V3, 225V3, or 225V1-Out Door) wirelessly over the 5.8GHz radio to another similar EAP which is ethernet connected to the rest of your LAN.

Simply having multiple EAP's all ethernet connected to a LAN within similar SSID settings and passwords (be it locally manager or Omada managed) is NOT a MESH.  It's simply the way that one configures multiple EAPs/AP's on a network,

This how businesses deploy their AP's all of the time.  It's only "novel" for home users, because traditionally home users have historically only had one AP -- which was generally built into their router / cable modem.

The term "Mesh" gets bandied about a lot in the Soho market to mean all sorts of things.  But in the context of TP-Link business EAP's it has a very specific definition, and only a small subset of TP-Link business EAP's support it.

-Jonathan

Options
2021-02-18 23:59:15

@JSchnee21 

Indeed it is.. lol.. too many windows open when I read the post im guessing.

So Jonathan, yes indeed a "Mesh" network is a number of APs talking and communicating via a wireless backhaul, I never mentioned otherwise.   However the OP did stipulate that he/she would like a MESH without the WiFi backhaul

While indeed that isnt offically a thing, EAPs on the network with a controller would offer the OP the same level of functionality as any "SOHO MESH" without the WiFi backhaul.

Indeed the term mesh is used far too often to mean simply connected APs.   The Deco P9s for example create a mesh network using PowerLine backhaul.. is that really a mesh in that instance?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 805

Replies: 4