GETTING INTERNET TO MY SHED

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-02-23 09:55:01 - last edited 2021-02-25 00:55:29
Model: EAP225-Outdoor  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi everyone.

I'm not very savvy when it comes to things like this, so please forgive me in advance.

I have a shed in my backyard which I am wanting to be able to receive a good internet signal. It is only about 6m away from the house, and probably only 10m away from the router itself. I don't care so much for having WiFi in there, just something that I could plug into a computer and Xbox and have them be able to get online.

I have a TP-Link Archer VR400 router, and have today bought a TP-Link AC1200 EAP225-Outdoor unit.

My initial thought was that I could put the EAP225 on the outside wall of the shed and point the antennas towards the routers location, and then plug a LAN cable from that into the computer and have internet that way.

It would seem that the device doesn't work like that (and at the very least I would have to purchase another, mount it somewhere on the outside of the house, and connect it to the router via a LAN cable. this is something I don't wish to do if possible).

I can get a WiFi signal in the shed currently, but it drops when I shut the door, and doesn't have sufficient enough strength to play online or download Xbox updates in a reasonable time period.

I know I could run a LAN cable directly to the shed, or make use of the powerline adapters, but I am not wanting to run any cables if I can help it, and don't like the reliability/speeds from the powerline adapters that I have tried in the past.

So I guess my question is, Is there a device that I can hang on the outside of my shed wall, that I can point at the router (not an exterior mounted unit running from the router), that I will able to plug my xbox and computer into?

If needed, I am happy to plug something into the router that still sits inside the house, but I'd rather it not cost another $169 if possible.

Thanks

Options
2 Reply
Re:GETTING INTERNET TO MY SHED
2021-02-25 09:19:32

Dear @Buddy_Wowwa,

So I guess my question is, Is there a device that I can hang on the outside of my shed wall, that I can point at the router (not an exterior mounted unit running from the router), that I will able to plug my xbox and computer into?

You may consider the Pharos CPE like CPE510/CPE710, install a CPE in Client mode on the outside of your shed wall to transmit a wireless network into a wired network.

The Pharos CPE has built-in directional antennas, which concentrate the energy in one direction only. It's usually used with a pair and suitable for point-to-point wireless communication. For your case, you may mount one outdoor AP(use one CPE in AP mode or use the EAP225-Outdoor) on the outside of the house(hardwire to the router) to send the WiFi signal out, and then install one Pharos CPE in Client mode to pick up the WiFi signal. The setup is the following.

Router in the house-----Outdoor AP )))clear line of sight((( CPE in Client mode-----PC in the shed

Note:

1. If there are multiple wired clients, you may add a switch in the shed to expand the Ethernet ports.

2. The CPE710 is the only one which has a Gigabit port while the other CPE models use 100Mbps ports.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
Re:GETTING INTERNET TO MY SHED
2021-02-25 13:57:59

@Fae 

Thanks heaps for the advice,

I will definitely give it a go. :D

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 508

Replies: 2