Inter VLAN routing

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Inter VLAN routing

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Inter VLAN routing
Inter VLAN routing
2021-03-05 12:19:25 - last edited 2021-03-05 12:42:41

Hi all,

I'm not experienced with VLANs, so please, be patient with me.

I've purchased a couple of T1500G-8T v2.0 switches (firmware v.2.0.6) and a TL-R605 router (firmware version 1.0.0). Installed Omada SDN controller (v.4.2.11) and adopted everything. My internet connection is working fine and my legacy network is happily working.

I'm trying to set up a few additional VLANs, with the hope to gradually migrate my legacy network to a VLAN-based one, where every category of device will be on its own VLAN. I've created a few VLANs and connected two laptops on two different VLANs. The relevant ports on the switch have been configured with the respective port profile (for each VLAN). Both laptops can access the router and the devices on the native LAN. But, I cannot get the laptopts to talk to each other. Everything I've read online seems to indicate that inter VLAN routing should be working out of the box (and that I would have to take extra steps to stop it, or limit it), but it's not working for me.

Any ideas as to what I might be doing wrong?

Thank you in advance!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Inter VLAN routing-Solution
2021-03-05 12:32:20 - last edited 2021-03-05 12:42:41

Dear @lexam,

Firewall may block the ping request. Please check the firewall settings on your PCs before you try to ping, or you may disable firewall for test.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Inter VLAN routing
2021-03-05 12:22:33

BTW, one weird thing I've noticed is that while a device on a VLAN can ping a device on the main LAN, the opposite does not happen. Is this normal?

Options
Re:Inter VLAN routing-Solution
2021-03-05 12:32:20 - last edited 2021-03-05 12:42:41

Dear @lexam,

Firewall may block the ping request. Please check the firewall settings on your PCs before you try to ping, or you may disable firewall for test.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options
2021-03-05 12:35:43

@Fae oh boy do I feel stupid...! It was the damn Windows firewall... I spent all day reading everything I could get my hands on and it never occurred to me that it could be the freaking Windows firewall... Thank you very much

Options
2021-03-06 18:32:22

Just adding something that happened to me in my quest to set everything up, to save someone else's time: after the "doh!" moment I had earlier (check the previous posts in this thread), I faced the opposite problem: I could not block traffic from VLAN C to VLAN D, although I had already successfully blocked traffic from VLAN A to VLAN B. For some reason, the switches were not getting updated properly when I was creating/editing the SWITCH ACL rules. After I used the "Force provision" button on my switches, the rules were provisioned correctly and the blocks got applied.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1558

Replies: 4

Related Articles