Planning Set up - M5's and Virgin Super Hub 3 - AC1300

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-03-06 21:20:39 - last edited 2021-03-09 11:09:41

Hi Guys,

I think I know half the answer and sorry if they comes up a lot, but installing it all tomorrow and want to be clear what I'm doing or what devices may have issues.  For hard wired they don't need to talk to the wireless devices so not fussed about the double NAT consideration ALTHOUGH could mean I need to hook up my Sky Q to WIFI instead of hard wire I do today so mini Q box can talk to it?

Current setup

- Virgin Fibre 200MB - Superhub 3

- Some devices via Ethernet but most via WIFI (funny Virgin just sent an update email saying they 'have sent an update to improve the coverage in my home - no difference according to my signal tester app).

- Smart Tat - Ring Doorbell, ReoLink Cameras (not set up yet doesn't talk to a parent unit, cloud and app instead), Nest, Alexa and Kodak Baby Monitor (but I don;t use wifi)

I DO have split SIDS for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz today - this was originally to get my Alexa to work (not checked what Nest needs, but currently connected to 2.4Gh SSID) as wouldn't;t work before.  Other wireless devices not listed are mainly laptop and mobile phones - dont really have many IoT devices yet.

MY PLAN

- Remove the split SIDS / Factory reset of SuperHub 3

- Put superhub into router mode - definitely needed?

- Connect my TPLink 5 port Gig switch (it says is a managed switch, so extra options for QoS via an app, but wont use/touch settings) - to ethernet port of superhub3

- Connect Sky Q via Ethernet to switch

- Connect Smart TV via Enternet to switch

- Connect Playstation via Ehternet to switch

- Connect first Deco via Ehternet to switch

- Using app run setup on first deco, do the updates and let it join my network..etc- set up the other 2 at this time Im thinking to get it out the way?

- Place Decos around the house/loft

- Confgure my wireless devices to use the Deco Wifi SID - check which dont work

- Voila?

Will this work?  Anything I will lose or have issues with?  My main problem at moment why I bought the system in the first place is a Smart TV in back bedroom cant get WIFI coverage for me to use streaming services..etc or even connect to Sky Q.  Wifi Signal drops in extenstion srea as well, but timber construction.  Sky did give me a booster I guess I need to wire into one of the decos if I wish to use Sky Mesh for those 2 Sky Q devices to talk and NOT hardwire the main Sky box?  I could ditch the mini and use the SKy App on my bedroom TV if easier.

Any other gotchas or things to look out for please?  Coverage is one thing, but don;t want dog poo bandwidth of devices, I may be able to backhaul something from on eof the Decos if needed?  Any placements tips - not close to do many walls, power..etc?

Thank you!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Planning Set up - M5's and Virgin Super Hub 3 - AC1300-Solution
2021-03-08 15:03:11 - last edited 2021-03-09 11:09:41

@Davinci 

You can have two WiFi networks with Deco: Main and Guest. Each runs with its own SSID. 

If you configure both networks according to screenshot I provided, which is what I run at my home, you'll have Main Network SSID for 5GHz WiFi only, Guest Network SSID for 2.4GHz only.

After that, connect all high bandwidth devices (smartphones, tablets, laptops) to Main Network SSID, connect low bandwidth devices and those that can't handle 5GHz to Guest Network SSID.

With this setup you are in control what connects where.

Recommended Solution
Options
11 Reply
Re:Planning Set up - M5's and Virgin Super Hub 3 - AC1300
2021-03-07 01:20:34

@Davinci 

Some things are not clear:

1) Why do you introduce TP-Link 5-port switch: not enough ports on Hub, devices are away from Hub, etc.?

2) Other than WiFi signal, are you happy with Virgin Hub 3 performance?

My recommendation: keep Virgin Hub as a wired router managing your home network, add Deco in Access Point mode for WiFi coverage only, keep split SSID. 

Modified PLAN

- Remove the split SIDS / Factory reset of SuperHub 3 Turn off WiFi on SuperHub. No other changes will be necessary.

- Put superhub into router mode - definitely needed? If Superhub is all you have, it should already be in router mode. Did you mean "modem mode?" It would not be necessary to put Superhub in modem mode if following this plan.

- Connect my TPLink 5 port Gig switch ... (if necessary. If not, connect Main Deco directly to the Superhub Ethernet port)

- Using app run setup on first deco, do the updates and let it join my network..etc. This will be Main Deco. Using app, configure Main Deco to run in Access Point mode (Screenshot #1 below). 

Configure Main Network to use SSID/password of Superhub 5GHz network and set Main Network with 5GHz only. Configure Guest Network to use SSID/password of Superhub 2.4GHz network and set Guest Network with 2.4GHz only (See Screenshot #2 below).

Set up the other 2 at this time. These will be your Satellite Decos. During initial setup, place them in close proximity of Main Deco: in the same room, in plain view of each other.

- Place Decos around the house/loft

- Confgure my wireless devices to use the Deco Wifi SID - check which dont work Wireless devices should seamlessly reconnect to Deco mesh, which broadcasts same SSID/password/WiFi band as SuperHub before.

>I may be able to backhaul something from on eof the Decos if needed? 

Each Satellite Deco has two Ethernet ports. If they are connected wirelessly to Main Deco, you can use both ports to wire something to them. 

>Any placements tips - not close to do many walls, power..etc?

If you can wire Satellite Decos with Ethernet cable to your home network - do that. You'll have better speeds.

If they will run wirelessly, they will be just like WiFi range extenders conceptually. While it is hard to give recommendations on their placement without knowledge of your house layout, just google for "wifi range extender best placement" or "wifi range extender best location" or similar, and follow recommendations how they apply to your house, but with M5s.

Screenshot #1 - Deco in Access Point mode

Screenshot #2 - SSID split

Options
2021-03-07 13:03:45 - last edited 2021-03-07 13:10:02

@Davinci 

I have to use switch when superhub is in modem mode, only one Ethernet can be used - I have 4 devices I need to connected via Ethernet - unless there is a better way?

Cool - I will try that, the devices that can connect to the superhub are working fine.

Thank you Alex for th screenshots - I will try access point mode first but I wont be able to connect deco via ehternet which is the problem to get smart TV at back to work - I shall see how it is as I will need some speed at back - I may have misunderstood how mesh works.

Options
2021-03-07 14:00:15 - last edited 2021-03-07 14:24:22

Davinci wrote

@Davinci 

I have to use switch when superhub is in modem mode, only one Ethernet can be used - I have 4 devices I need to connected via Ethernet - unless there is a better way?

@Davinci 

It is possible you've made typo in your original plan, writing "Put superhub into router mode..." Router mode is what your Virgin Superhub runs now, and you can keep it that way (and should).

So, the overall plan:

1. Do not add TP-Link 5 port Gig switch to your network for the sake of Deco mesh deployment

2. Turn off WiFi in configuration settings of Virgin SuperHub, no other changes will be necessary. You'll have all four ports working, and Hub will continue managing IP addresses on your home network.

3. Connect first Deco via Ethernet to Virgin Superhub.

Then, proceed with configuration as I suggested. You'll be deploying Deco mesh in your house in Access Point mode.

After you've configured your Deco mesh, you can move your Main Deco to a different place if you want to. Main Deco, with mesh in Access Point mode, does not have to be wired directly to Superhub. It needs to be wired to your home network, so if you have for example Ethernet cable terminating in the middle of the house, Main Deco can be connected there.

Finally, if you need to undo Deco mesh deployment for whatever reason, with this plan all you have to do is power off Decos and turn on WiFi in Virgin Superhub settings.

>I wont be able to connect deco via ehternet which is the problem to get smart TV at back to work

It is OK, you only need to have Main Deco connected with Ethernet cable.

Options
2021-03-08 10:11:39

@Davinci 

Thank you, but in your set up wouldn't  have devices connecting between 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz randomly?

How does the deco know which to use for certain devices?

Matt

Options
Re:Planning Set up - M5's and Virgin Super Hub 3 - AC1300-Solution
2021-03-08 15:03:11 - last edited 2021-03-09 11:09:41

@Davinci 

You can have two WiFi networks with Deco: Main and Guest. Each runs with its own SSID. 

If you configure both networks according to screenshot I provided, which is what I run at my home, you'll have Main Network SSID for 5GHz WiFi only, Guest Network SSID for 2.4GHz only.

After that, connect all high bandwidth devices (smartphones, tablets, laptops) to Main Network SSID, connect low bandwidth devices and those that can't handle 5GHz to Guest Network SSID.

With this setup you are in control what connects where.

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-03-13 15:04:37

@Davinci Thank you for all your time and help.

That seem to of worked fine.

I like the slit on 2 different networks - the guest stuff doesnt need to talk to home, so all good!

Options
2021-03-13 15:10:24

@Davinci 

AccessPoint mode I am only getting half my bandwidth - in Router mode I am getting the full 220MB.

Reason?

Options
2021-03-13 15:13:26

@Davinci 

So I guess in router mode I can;t use my wired devices that are on the superhub (as the Deco has become the router?)

That was my whole reasoning of using a extra hub,.

Let me see if I can work out why the speed drop, but I may go baxck to router mode it AP is killing my throughput.

I am sat in the same spot from the dec Rotuer mode = 230MB, Access Point = 100MB

hmmmm

Options
2021-03-13 15:25:36

Davinci wrote

@Davinci 

AccessPoint mode I am only getting half my bandwidth - in Router mode I am getting the full 220MB.

@Davinci 

It is often other way around. What are you getting when running "Test Internet Speed" in Deco app? It is speedtest between Main Deco and Internet.

Options
2021-03-13 16:55:19
Doing test from my Windows 10 laptop - SpeedTest by Ookla
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3333

Replies: 11

Related Articles