Wired Clients not showing connected on Omada

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Wired Clients not showing connected on Omada

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
24 Reply
Re:Wired Clients not showing connected on Omada
2023-04-06 18:34:26
That doesn't surprise me at all. Omada doesn't do a good job with multifunction devices like routers or AP's with secondary switches in them.
<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2023-04-06 20:34:19 - last edited 2023-04-06 20:35:12

Hi @d0ugmac1 Well that's not cool at all... I think these devices are priced and must have a professional grade where these things shouldn't be a problem.

Options
2023-04-06 21:27:27
SOHO and Pro-sumer come to mind... I think the TPlink large multiport switches are probably 'enterprise' grade, and the workhorse ceiling APs do a pretty decent job too. Where things break down are things like the combined controller/router, routers in general, and oddball devices like the wall APs (which I am personally a fan of for simple deployments). The controller is so dependent on downstream device firmware support that sometimes never seems to come for some devices. (I can't launch PPSK because I have a bucket of EAP225-wall's that haven't seen a firmware update in almost 2 years--and it doesn't help that the ER605V1's above them just can't seem to catch a firmware break either) The TPLlink routers are system-on-chip based rather than a more serious Intel or AMD offering so rather underpowered when compared to even your average pfSense box, never mind Ubiquiti or Meraki...but they are certainly cheaper and thus more accessible. The wall APs seem to be a "me-too" copy of the Ubiquit UAP AC IW, which is fine, but it seems like the hardware chosen to implement the multi-port aspect isn't easily integrated into a typical Omada solution... I personally don't think the etherswitch chip is as capable as what you might find in a typical SG-XXXX switch and there have been a number of false starts with people trying to run different VPNs on different ports, or to daisy chain APs with the passthrough POE port, only to find that only some SSIDs work. I think somebody maybe jumped the gun calling all of this Omada stuff "enterprise grade", it's definitely better than discrete pieces, but I think some significant heavy lifting is needed to bring all current devices up to the same level of functional currency...ie so many APs are still running firmware designed for 5.3-era controllers...and controllers have marched on to 5.9 and counting. Until then, it's suitable enough for small branch offices that have small repeatable configurations, prosumers, simple public wifi deployments and the like. In short, it can be functional. Support is quite responsive. It is affordable. You get what you pay for. Nothing mysterious here.
<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2023-04-06 23:16:49 - last edited 2023-04-07 06:24:23

I agree with what you write. I think that the functionality of the Omada controller is still green in many aspects of it and it still has time to be considered "professional grade" or "enterprise grade". I don't know, I just entered in the Omada world and I thought that certain things that I consider "basic", like the one discussed in the subject of this post, would already be far surpassed, but I see that they are not.

Options